1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDK 440N Indi DVD-Won't burn generic DVD-Rs ??

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by AlphaDog, Sep 2, 2003.

1. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Member

Anyone has that problem ? I bought generic DVD-Rs at a comp. store (1.99$ each) But when i try to burn it ejects the DVD and gives me an error message....

2. WDM2MPEG

WDM2MPEG Member

Hi AphaDog,

1. Try TDK media instead of generic or noname. You can buy TDK DVD-R or DVD+R media for practically the same price, for example, in Costco (US$2 per disc in 8-pack, price in the USA and Canada, and I am sure you can find it for comparable price in other regions too, I just mean it is not too expensive, you definitely can afford it). The most typical complaint (over 95% of all complaints) about DVD burners from TDK is that they actually do not like crappy media, and the fix for it is to use brandname media, then the burner performs perfectly.

2. Check the Device Manager of your Windows for conflicting devices, check Event Log for hardware related warnings, make sure your firmware (for motherboard and every other piece of hardware that has firmware) and drivers are all fresh and relevant.

3. The third thing to be checked, after the previous two did not help, is as follows: make sure your DVD burner is a Master (not Slave) and the other drive on the same EIDE bus does not contain a virtual memory swap file, nor the operating system, nor the image of your disc prepared to be burned, and DMA mode is turned on.

3. dingdingd

dingdingd Member

Well, I guess, you are not using DVDXcopy series to backup the movie. My TDK 440N is happy to work with those generic crappy DVD-R media under DVDXcopy express.

But it by no way burns anything on the DVD-Rs using Nero/Gear until you flash the firmware to the version 1.08

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  4. WDM2MPEG

WDM2MPEG Member

Hi Dingdingd,

Have you been trying the TDK 440N with "dash" media on reduced speeds? I use only "plus" media, however I have heard a rumor that it may help with "non-native-polarity" media if you reduce the burning speed. Have you tried?