1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TES Oblivion Graphics help

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by cremos, Apr 6, 2006.

1. jasmi

jasmi Member

hi i have been playing oblivion for a long time with fine graphics and no problem encounters until today when i downloaded a mod and removed it.The problem is that from time to time (which occurs often) transparent black scratches appear at the corner of the screen and the game slows down too much.can u help me about this problem pls?It makes the game difficult to play...

2. graffik

graffik Regular member

Sometimes MODS send new FILES to the OBLIVION such as adding new image files to the meshes section if this is the case they can overwrite existing ones causing said problems. If this is the case you probably should fully delete Oblivion and re-install it. If it does not update the meshes try hitting the '`' Key (Tilde) and typing PCB (purge cell buffers) this will sometimes clear errors. Defreag very often, turn off other programs etc

Also remember if you reinstall oblivion OLD SAVE GAMES still stay in a different location and do not clear hope this ino helps.. If not try letting computer cool a bit before playing in case gfx card is overheating

3. grambo33

grambo33 Member

Everytime after I install the newest patch my ground cells closest to me turn into purple little maps of imperial city. nothing else is affected. any tricks in the ini file to fix this?

ive tried reinstalling, loosing some mods, but the ground changes every time after i try to update.

4. grambo33

grambo33 Member

sorry for the double post....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  5. graffik

graffik Regular member

Is your gfx card and cpu in the compatability list of capable Oblivion computers? If not it may be a good idea to use 'OLDBLIVION' oldblivion.com to run it it may fix some of the graphical interface issues
    Little maps of imperial city? I think your meshes got uploaded to wrong folders or you graphics overlays aren't clearing or something try hitting the tilde key -> ` <- and then typing PCB see if this corrects it

6. grambo33

grambo33 Member

my computer is fine, its a P4 2.8 with a Geforce 7800. its just this update. i tried the ~pcb and thats no good. damn.

7. graffik

graffik Regular member

PCB is only a 'sometimes help' try OLDBLIVION it may not work with 'SHVERING ISLES' due to that is modern update to oblivion.

Even compatable cards and boards may have some problems
    However this sounds to me like a MESH problem (graphics) If so Possibly the installation o the graphics got overwritten wrong. Such as installing a plugin. Do you use user defined mods? If so have you tried disabling them all and seeing if a new game does that as well? If so did you try a full-clean install of it without adding mods and start a new game see if it still does it? Remember even with a clean install all 'saved games' still stay safe they save those under documents and settings area anyways

Also try changing the Graphics filters such as turn of 'BLOOM LIGHTING' see if issues change perhaps one of those features in your versions is faulty. There are many many graphics interface commands there it I would say have a paper handy and try writing down what you change and see if any is it. Hope the info helps
    (commands to change in Oblivion is ESC then graphics)

8. Walksfar

Walksfar Guest

Hey there, is this thread still alive?
    I kinda updated my PC just to play this game to what I thought were decent specs:
    Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
    S-ATA 256Gig HD
    1Gig RAM DDR2
    GeForce 7300GS DDR2 (PCI-E)

I'm running Oblivion on "Low" normal settings, intact Ini file, and I'm still getting some Framerate issues when outside, specially in heavy grass.

Is there any way to improve framerate without sacrificing much visual quality? (Ultra Low specs looks worse than morrowind did.)

9. graffik

graffik Regular member

If cheating (IE setting character beyond normal speed rate) keep it to reasonable, 2 Defragment computer a lot (get Diskkeeper it works better and can keep computer running smoother while you use it :) Turn off 'anti-aliasing, may help' set it into full screen instead of windowed mode, this should require less resources.

I can run oblivion at medium to full with a lower cpu than that
    However It is an opinion (though may not be valid) that PCI-E cards are not really all that great and can often be 'SHARED MEMORY' meaning that the memory in said card is not always dedicated, but draws the resources from the onboard memory. I this is the case it may be a wise idea to get a Pci graphics card of which has its own dedicated memory.

If still having heavy issues try OLDBLIVION (add a .com to that name to get site) see if it helps it may not work with Newest update Shivering Isles

10. fellanbra

fellanbra Member

Hi i have the same problem as some more people in the forum. My ground is purple. I have entered the correct .int file but i cant find verticallandbias. Can someone please help me?

11. graffik

graffik Regular member

I saw a similar post try turning off 'Render distant objects/lands to see if that corrects purple ground

12. fellanbra

fellanbra Member

Graffik.. THAT WORKED! You are the man.>>Thanks Alot<<

13. graffik

graffik Regular member

Glad to hear it. I think that is a bug on some GFX cards that which puts the far images really close and overlapping on closeup images. Even with a good gfx card those far images seem to hover over nothing if the distance view is really far if you have the option as well try limiting field of view closer (less distance rendering) see if that helps as well

Gad to see it worked :)

14. Rokka93

Rokka93 Member

Hi!
    I have little (not beautiful) graphic problem in oblivion. Some objects/meshes (Imperial city walls and some objects) have yellow lines on them and I can't see normal textures then. Textures are Ok near of me, but it´s only about 1 meter. Can somebody help?
    http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image1so2.gif
    Sry. I´m not very good at using thumbnails :(

I have Radeon 9200, but the problem came also other graphics card. I think that problem is in somewhere Oblivion files.
    PS: I tried to find verticalLandBias from oblivion.ini but i didn't find it. There was fLODLandVerticalBias 00.0000(I don't remember well that name and those numbers)

Somebody help me? If u want...
    Thanks anyway (like reading this :D)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  15. graffik

graffik Regular member

try discontinuing any add ons first. play a game from scratch and see if same problem is there if not try doing sliding of the various bars under 'Graphics' and if you have not done it yet install direct x 9.0C
    that is required for oblivion

16. Rokka93

Rokka93 Member

Nope. It doesn't work. I had directX 9.0 c already and tried to play game without add ons before.

17. graffik

graffik Regular member

It does appear to be a gfx issue try systematically shutting off all extra gfx options such as render distant objects see if that corrects it or try reinstalling from scratch NOTE: when you put addons some of them can Overwrite old meshes perhaps those meshes were stuff that was overwritten
    don't worry much about "Saved games" they are stored under documents and settings directory and do not get removed on uninstall however may not work if it requires certain addons

18. phil500

phil500 Member

hello, please help me,iv done everything on the first page and i can play the game properly, when i load oldblivion 0.11t7,it plays with each of the settings low quality,medium quality,high quality but it still crashes after the sewers,iv a onboard via chrome9 hc igp family with latest drivers it can share upto 256mb which i have please help in what i need to do.

19. graffik

graffik Regular member

Have you installed the newest DirectX C?
    How much onboard memory do you have, cpu speed, how much memory does gfx card have? I could probably set you up with a character just outside the sewers however if more than one spot is boggy it may crash like if you enter a certain house.

I cannot install oldblivion on this computer however if you wish me to make a save point outside the sewers let me know and characters needed. (race, birthsign and class based on standard setup)

Please disable any and all user defined mods try it that way, if still does not. then reinstall oblivion fresh. User defined mods can overwrite existing meshes and cause problems

finally you are using a card that shares memory? Thats bad you need ones that has its own otherwise its leeching all the cpus memory

20. phil500

phil500 Member

yes i have direct xc installed,,my gfx is a 64mb which shares upto 256mb and iv got it selected to 256mb,iv 1gb ram,iv a dual core 2.6ghz,i dont have any user modz installed iv only the installed the mods/patches that are on the first page the shadows,water,exe fix and iv put them in the right place,please make a save for outside the sewers im a khajiit,the apprentice,archor is it possible to change your settings after like with the console cheers