1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing a DVD before ripping

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by boriscat, Jul 26, 2015.

1. boriscat

boriscat Member

Sometimes a DVD may have a mark on it that prevents copy, but you don't find out til the very end. Is there any way to test a DVD to make sure there are no faults and that it plays all the way through?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

rip it to hard drive then play it on the computer.How well it plays can also depend on whether you have a decent dvd drive to rip the movie in the first place,if using a laptop your better off with an external dvd drive

3. boriscat

boriscat Member

I bought an external drive which has proved to be much better quality than the one in my machine. However rather than play the DVD which would obviously take time, I was hoping there'd be some kind of scanner which woud work fairly quickly. I've got 2200 dvd's to copy.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

dvd's copy or they don't.Whether the ripping software does x amount of read retry's would be an indication of issues,other than that there is no program i'm aware of & sometimes you get glitches in the movie.Best bet & how i do it is rip the movies only,if possible i try to use dvdshrink,it allows trimming of the front & end credits.Once done i convert all to mkv with vidcoder & store on hdd.

Not related to do what you want,have added this anyway
    Each movie has it's own folder as an example:
    die hard is the movie:
    i create a folder called die hard.
    i place movie die hard.mkv into folder.
    i also place a dvd cover renamed to folder (actual name including hidden extension is folder.jpg).
    Now what i have is the basics for xbmc (kodi) or any other program (including windows explorer tho it shows it differently) will display the dvd cover like so (not quite what i wanted to show but close enough,there are other viewing options in the program kodi)
    http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_Library
    Kodi can also grab fanart so that when you scroll through the movies you get a screenshot in the background

5. boriscat

boriscat Member

In terms of pure ripping I think you go about it a long winded way. I use Makemkv to rip the DVD and automatically add the files to the mkv container. If you wanted to shrink the DVD then Freemake Video Converter both rips and shrinks the file and adds it to a mkv conatainer all in one go. Both are utterly reliable although as Freemake transcodes it's obviously slower than Makemkv which does not transcode.
    Where my problem lies is when I am ripping a DVD to mkv file and it gets 15 mins in then the disc can't be read for whatever reason, so I have wasted that time. I know DVD shrink does a preview thing where it quickly cycles through a movie so any errors would be flagged up during that process. I wondered if that 'scanning' stage could be found as a standalone program that could scan a disc and say this disc will read right the way through, but without it having to take the full time. Imagine like a DVD player set at x128 speed.

Thanks for adding the extra info at the end, unfortunately I don't have a clue what you're talking about. Hidden extension? jpg into folder? Doesn't make sense to me but if it works for you great :)

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

dvdfab does a scan thing as well if i recall,whether it can pick up any issues is another matter

Saving space is why i strip movies & extra's then trim any crap from the front & ends,it also means i get straight into the movie,i can't stand the intro or the outro..lol...You have x amount of dvds,on average trimming 300-400mb off would save i think around 60gb,possibly even more as the amount i've stated is conservative,the front & end credits can run as high as 700mb per movie.I'm also restricted to 4gb per file as i require them to be on my original xbox which has the fat32 limitation bs,trimming the fat goes a little way to improving vid quality,not by much i suspect..lmao

7. boriscat

boriscat Member

I use external USB drives, I have 6 so space isn't a problem for me. MakeMKV (with a little help from altering preferences) only copies the main movie file. I too hate all the gubbins, one movie I have had an incredible 12 minutes of intro stuff and if you tried to fast forward through it, it would simply loop and start again!
    I don't mind having th movie intro itself and end credits though. Often I use these to find out who sang tracks in the movie and other info.
    If space is limited to you I understand why you do it though.
    Out of 1100 DVD's completed so far, only 3 have failed to copy so at that rate I can afford to go to CEX and replace the ones that won't, rather than waste hours trying to sort them out. Thanks for your time though :)

8. Mez

Mez Active member

I will come in to this very very late. Your blank media will preclude the problems you are complaining about. Scorp knows better and doesn't see this problem. If I make 1 coaster in 500 I am pissed! They also make a huge difference how long they last. Months vs decades. I only use those with real metal tops. Real metal is completely opaque. The dye must be azo dye and burn rate must be 8x or slower. These are your best DVD blanks. They will run at least double that of lesser quality made by the same manufacturer and maybe 4x more than garbage on sale. Verbatim, Taiyo Yuded and Falcon still make metal foil topped DVDs. I have not seen any foil topped DVD in a brick and mortar store in almost a decade. I am still burning from stock before that time. I am down to a few hundred now and have been experimenting. Even Verbatim that I bought is a B&M store were garbage. I was relieved to learn you can still buy the good stuff on line.

I also rely on external HDs. I have 2 premium external boxes that you can stick an internal drive into. They have bigger power supplies than most external HD units. Minimum power ages your drives prematurely. I can swap drives in less than a minute. I have 11 filled disks working on 12. These are not all filled with videos. What is best about this is all but 2 are sitting in stacks on a shelf. They are in 'cold storage' and will likely out last me.