1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TFT Monitor Not working @ low res

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Basiclife, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Basiclife

Basiclife Member

OK, I have a 17" TFT monitor from Chi Mei Corporation (CMV). The screen works great except when dooing LOW-RES 3d apps. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem... Who wants low-res anyway? Unfortunately, some games start in low-res and I can't see what I'm doing to change the res.

The specific problem is that my graphics card (nVidia GeFroce FX 5950 Ultra), when running at low res and low refresh rate (75Hz) increases the Horizontal Frequency to 92KHz and the monitor can only cope up to 82KHz. What I need is some sort of driver / .inf file to define to my system what the monitor is capoable of. Even a generic TFT one should work. At the minute, my Display is a "Plug & Play Monitor" according to XP

Any suggestions / workarounds?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

didn't get software with monitor

3. Basiclife

Basiclife Member

No, but then to be honest I've never had software with my monitors ever. And this is my 3rd as well as buying for other people. Keyboards? yes. Mice? yes. Monitors? Not yet :D

I think I just need a generic TFT monitor driver

4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

The driver for XP PNP should be generic. You may have to contact the monitor manufacturer.You could try running the program in the display settings/compatability mode and see what happens.
    Right click program icon,properties,compatability.
    Play around with these settings and you may get lucky.

It would be a pain but you could try uninstalling or disabling the video card's drivers to stop it from adjusting refresh rates.

Hope this helps.

5. Basiclife

Basiclife Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a play with them. Need less to say I'm loathe to uninstall my graphics adapter drivers. Last time I did that I was stuck in 800x600 for a week while I hunted for my nVidia CD (Yes, I should've done it first) and then I thought of the internet... But it might be a last resort. Of course then the game won't run because of a lack of a 3D card (that it can detect). Sticky situation but am off to play with compatibility now. Thanks!

[edit]
    OK, have played with compatibility and still not working right. It's so frustrating 'cos I can hear the game firing up but I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING *sob* Anyway I'll have a crack at the drivers now in case it helps. Do you by any chance know of a way of restricting the output from a graphics card?
    [/edit]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Yea I do..........uninstall the drivers! LOL.....

So you dont hunt.... http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77
    GFORCE XP Platform

Your better off installing the latest drivers for you card.......for everything but the old stuff.

Good Luck!

7. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey Basiclife!

You could try running in safe mode. Only the basic drivers are loaded.

8. madtike

madtike Member

I had problems upgrading form a CRT to TFT. Couldnt get it working at 1024x768. A full windows reinstall did the trick perhaps you could try this.

9. Basiclife

Basiclife Member

Thanks for your efforts guys. Having played with uninstalling/ reinstalling the geFroce drivers (thanks for the link ianski7), and then bitten the bullet and done a CLEAN resintall for my C drive (D is media and never getting touched ever ever ever), I'm back to a clewan desktop. With none of my usual apps (not even firefox). And it still doesn't work. :'(

On the bright side, I need to clean my PC up but Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Next step I think is to go see the manufacturers and whinge @ them. I bought both monitor AND card from Novatech (a UK based company) whose support is normally excellent but I've been fobbed off on this issue. Time to make poilte waves...

Thanks again everyone for your help and if anyone thinks of anything else, please tell me

10. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Good Luck Basiclife!
    Please post if you get it resolved.

11. Basiclife

Basiclife Member

SOLVED IT!

Ok, having played around with every piece of tweaking software in existence I came across a setting in the standard nVidia Display Properties dialogue box...

"Enable Double Scan for lower resolution modes"

as soon as I had unselected this, everything ran perfectly. Seems like the card was killing itself to send the screen twice at lower resolutions and in doing so, outputting at too high a freq.

Thanks for all your help guys it's really appreciated. Without you I wouldn't even have been looking in the right place.

Basiclife

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

at least you fixed it yourself, don't you feel proud

13. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

HEY!

PROPS TO BASICLIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!