1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Anti-RIAA board!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Toiletman, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Watch yourself. Consider this your first warning.

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

You mean my offensive langauge? Sorry, I'll tone down a bit. But we are talking about the RIAA :p

3. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well man, relax a little.

What's your problem with RIAA? Think this: this people are just doing their job.

OK P2P is nice, I download too, but if everyone in this world started only downloading and not buying then the music industry will be destroyed. Everyone knows that the recording companies make crazy money but without them there was going to be very difficult for a band to make a CD, make a tour, advertise and all that.

I think we must stop fighting for P2P. It's is illegal (P2P, not fighting for it!). When you donwload a song you are stealing not only the companies but also the artists which worked hard to make this record, the producer and all the people that worked to make it from the one who created the cover to the one who cleaned the studio after the recording.

What we should FIGHT for:

Cheaper prices. A CD should not cost more than 10 Euros. The most expensive one. This is what we should do. The crazy money that the companies make are because the CDs are very expensive. I think that if the CDs cost, let's say 8-10 Euro nobody will have to download.

Finally we must understand that RIAA is just doing their job, they are paid from the music industries to do that and close Napster, Kazaa and all this P2P programs. Before RIAA even Mp3.com had free mp3s. So calm down and think all this next time you are going to download an Mp3 from the net. I have LPs (in vinyl) of bands that are way too good to die, but they died, just because they didn't sell much.

If you like a band support it by buying the records they make, if you donwload them from Kazaa you will make them disappear.

That's all!
    Fight for cheap music!

4. UnGod

UnGod Guest

That really is a good Idea #afonic lot's of people don't understand that the bands work there asses of to make there music and even now they don't get a lot of money for it. And the thing is that the band will often have to pay for a lot of things themselves, it's really hard to be in a band today. The cheaper the cd's, the more bands will sell, and it's good for everyone.

5. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Yeah, some people just don't understand that Kazaa hurts not only RIAA, but the bands. You should remember that Metallica where the first to sue Napster and then other artists, including Dr. Dre did the same and had many users banned. Kazaa is piracy and I don't know we should blame over kinds of piracy and not this.

Anyway I think that services like the iTunes and the new Napster seem good, even though I believe the prices should be even lower! At iTunes you can download an album for 10 Euros, which I think is cheap enough, but could be a little cheaper as it is just a download (no CD, case etc).

Did you know what Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden told about their new album:
    That he has no problem everyone to download their new songs from the internet. But, if they like them they should go and buy the album. If not, nevermind, never buy the album.

That's the right way. If you like a band go and buy the album. I have done this many times, I mean downloading all the tracks from Kazaa, and then buying the album. Support the artists, they need it, so we can avoid all this Skakira and Britney Spears shit. (I am talking about the songs :)

6. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Praetor hasn't answered yet. Hmmm......

Anyway, look, I buy CDs. Tonnes of them. Not for bands like Good Charlotte and artists like Justin Timberlake, but for bands like CAnnibal Corpse. The bands that are really working off their asses to make money. The bands that don't really have that much money. Ok I'll admit I've downloaded a few GC songs, and, okay a whole Pantera album, but if there's only one or two songs that I like in the album, then I would just download it instead of wasting all that money on the other unwanted songs.

What the RIAA should do is just forget about sueing us, the Average Joes, and sue the big file sharers. Or they could just break up since sooner or later piracy is gonna win. Why waste resources on this when we could be helping drug addicts and homeless people?

7. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

That's what I talk about!

I hear similar music, I listen to all kinds of metal (Opeth is my favourite if you know them) from death to power. What I like is to discover new bands and tell other people about it. So you understand that if I you don't support these bands they have no future. Dark Tranquillity guys (if you know them, Swedish melodic death) said that the money they make are very little to live with. Other small bands say to stop using Kazaa. Pantera and Cannibal Corpse have fans and have some money already, the problem is with the small bands.

So what I say is to stop using Kazaa for such files. Yes my friends Kazaa IS piracy and it is exactly the same as renting a movie and copy it. So stop using it. RIAA are just doing their job and reserving their right, they are not some evil men trying to destroy our happiness.

Of course the way they have choosen to defend their rights is not the proper one, but what should that way be? Question.

8. UnGod

UnGod Guest

I think it would work really good if the company's selling mp3 on the internet would let you listen to a song (in like a string or something so you don't download it) and then once you dicide if you like it or not then you could buy and download it. But the only problems i see with the itunes and other things like that is that lots of kids can't buy the songs themselves and there parents might not like there music and decide not to buy it for them.

9. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Problem is, you can! There is no problem! Sites like www.launch.com let you listen, watch videos, but not download.

I never go there though. I either buy or download. Cuz I just can't be pissed. I download a few tracks, and then if I really like the band, I go out and buy their album.

I know you guys are probably saying, What a load of BS he's talking about, no one does that. Well, not many people do, but I do, and I'm sure lots of other people on this website do as well.

Kazaa is piracy, but as long as there are humans, there's piracy. Piracy will win sooner or later. I'm sure of that. Where there's a will, there's a way.

10. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well you are supporting piracy because you do not care.

Just think how many people will lose their jobs if piracy wins. Not only musicians, also game designers and programmers. Sierra was telling the joke, which is truth, that for one of their games, I think Space Quest that they had sold more copies of the official game's hints and tips book than the game. And at id they say that they think that there are more pirated copies of Q3 than the original one.

People that make games and music for our entertainment are waiting to make money from it. Support piracy and all the games are going to be like the freeware ones you can find around in a while. Just consider what companies have to be closed or to be sold (Westwood, Origin, Sierra) and realise how big the program is.

11. Praetor

#afonic: awesome viewpoint dude! *Hands #afonic a beer*

12. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

If I didn't care, I wouldn't buy albums.

13. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

I didn't say that you don't, I just wanted to show that some people does not really understand what piracy is. It is that: A situation where some people are making money instead of the people that should normally earn this money because of their work.

The "pirate" in my place sells games for 7,5 Euros. This means that if the blank CD costs 0,50 Euros he makes 7 Euros per game (and some games are 2-3 CDs so it goes x2, x3). He must be selling 20-30 games per day (sometimes more, let's say when he brings a much-wanted game, so he makes 140 - 210 Euros per day "tax free". And I keep thinking that I am an idiot not doing the same as he does.

People getting rich by selling other people's work. This does not seem very democratic to me._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Detailed DVD-Rip Guides at
    http://www.afonic.tk[/small]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  14. UnGod

UnGod Guest

We can't forget the programs that are downloaded every day. People download lots of programs in which people have spent years on. Those people might get payed for working on it but if the company's don't get people buying them they won't be able to make as many programs in the future. That's as much of a crime as any of the other things we've talked about. And I think we should change the name of this board. we're not really against it...

15. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well to say the trooth I am against the methods RIAA is using recently.

I just want to say that for the programs, at least the professionals will have to buy them original (think of a photographer with a warez version of Photoshop). But for the games...

16. tinfoil

tinfoil Member

I am a newb to this particular anti-RIAA thread, but certainly not a newb to the fight. There is quite a lot of great ideas and even more great opinions and it's amazing to see it.

One thing I have seen a lack of and that's people who think file sharing is a right or something. It is not. It's not exactly theft but bloody close to it.

Activism is not about breaking the law. Activism is about changing the law you think it unjust.

17. Praetor

Well said... *hands tinfoil a beer* :)

18. UnGod

UnGod Guest

I understand what you mean and it shouldn't be a right to download song's for free. I'm in a band and the songs we write I wouldn't want people taking from me but I wouldn't want to sell them for as much people do now.

19. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well you do not want them to be taken by you and you don't want to sell them.
    What do you want to do with them, listen them yourself? They must be pretty personal! :)
    LoL!

20. tinfoil

tinfoil Member

I do hope that's a Canuck beer ;D

I'm not trying to flame ya hear or anything, but did you actually read UnGod's post?