1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Complete Guide and FAQ to making a XBOX GAME BACKUP! LOOK HERE BEFORE MAKING "How to..." THREADS!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Quadratic, Dec 30, 2004.

1. xbox12345

xbox12345 Member

Yes that is the correct IP & I have also got the password entered.

Does the xbox need to be flashed 1st?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

2. cpbox1

cpbox1 Member

A few comments that might help some people out:

I could not get FlashFXP, and I use ftp clients in work to transfer files between different box's, I have tried buth IPSwitch and WS FTP Pro, both work well - My preference here is WS FTP Pro.

When I copied across my game directories I had a nightmare of a time creating an ISO, believe me when I say I tried all the tools out there - CloneXB1.1 was the easyest to use, Craxion also worked to create an ISO but still figuring out outer parts of it (would have been useful to have a good guide and help on this) In general get a tool you can use and stick with it.

To burn the ISO - I have used Nero and DVD Decrypter - both worked well - but would lean towards DVD Decrypter I got better results with this.

When Burning your DVD's use a CD-RW (I used Packard Bell brand ones and they all worked) another non branded stander silver one would not work at all. AS for DVD-r and DVD+r I have not found a brand that works yet - I tried Ritek and TDK 4x and 8x disks in both + and -. Does anyone know of a site where we can put together a list of compatible disks to use?

Regarding cd-r and the mith that none of these work on xbox players - I have been able to play my divx movies from a cd-r (not an rw) To anwser another question on this - the latest XBMC plays divx.

The best download I would suggest every body who whats to mod their xbox is an auto installer - either slayers 2.6 or the auto installer delux 1.1 - these are really great - you can burn the disk bot up and choose what packages you would like to install - I used auto installer delux 1.1 and without it I would be still in the dark as to a number of things.

soft modding is good but I would suggest you consider getting a mod chip - if you can't solder get a no solder option - they are work it for the price of a game or 2 you have an xbox that really rocks. Also when or if you mod your xbox update the harddrive - if you get one of the auto installers - you can boot onto this and it will take you about 2 hours max to have everything up and running.

To recap - the tools I would suggest you try:

WS ftp pro - to make your connections - and take the files to your PC harddisk

Clonexb to create your ISO

DVDDecrypter to burn your ISO

njoy - and thanks to all the guys here for providing the information and help to make this all possible - could not have done it with your people like you - hats off to all.

3. dbonehead

dbonehead Member

Hey guys, Im stuck have connected from xbox to pc via crossover cable. pc's IP is 192.168.0.1 and xbox IP is 192.168.0.3
    connection has been established running at 100.0Mbps but keep getting a connection failure when trying to FTP. connection is set to static mode, FlashXP is running in passive mode, firewall turned off, don't know what else to do? here are the errors........ Connecting to 192.168.0.3:21
    Connected to 192.168.0.3:21 in 0.062500 seconds, Waiting for Server Response
    Error reading response from server.
    Connection closed by remote host.
    Host type (1): Automatic detectoff.
    Can anyone help?

4. joschez

joschez Regular member

This is what I do when I FTP my Xbox.
    1. Go to control panel and select Network and Internet Connections
    2. Click on Network Connections.
    3. Right click on the Local Area Connection and select Properties
    4. Go to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)and select Properties
    5. You should be on the following screen. Select "Use following IP address", and type in 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.0.0

[​IMG]

then click ok. Restart your computer and then turn on your xbox, go to FlashXp then connect with your xbox address,make sure that you dont have any games in your xbox when you first try to connect with FlashXP once you see the connection, put a game in and go to the D drive, you will see all the files for the game in there. Select all the files and just transfer to a folder on the upper left box. And that is it! If it does not work, just go back to your TCP properties and select "Obtain an IP Address automatictly" hit ok then restart computer.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  5. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Good pic joschez. May I use it in my guide to avoid further confusion, if you don't mind of course. If you accept, it will be accredited to you.

6. joschez

joschez Regular member

no problem. use it.

7. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Thanks. Your pic has been added to the guide :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  8. joschez

joschez Regular member

NO Problem. All of you guys had helped me out alot.

9. TheSource

TheSource Member

Hey Guys,

I've learned alot recently and even took a 5.3 Gig SC-Chaos Theory ISO down to a 4.7Gig, in order to burn, with all of the net help. But that was easy 'cause there were PAL video files that I simply removed.
    But, I have Ninja Gaiden (+ others) already on my F: drive, and when I copy them over (via WSFTP), the new folder with NG files is over 5 gigs...what do I delete?
    In short...how do I identify XBOX LIVE files (not on NG, but other games) and how can I shrink the NG ISO to fit a 4.7Gigger, when QWIX is making the ISO?

10. rrick

rrick Member

right ive do every thin it says but its still not work could it be the proggram im useing or is there a direct crossover cable coz i have an addapter

11. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

That's really not true, although your right about the booktype setting.
    Some drives automatically change the +R booktype to DVDrom and they'll play fine on your xbox or any other dvd player.Others stay at +R and usually will only play from a computer.
    I had a HP +R burner and never had a problem with +R discs playing on my xbox's(different dvdrom drives).Bought a 12X Plextor +R/-R drive and +R discs would no longer play [bold]at all[/bold] on any of them.There is a certain version of Nero that allows you to change the booktype and if you do this prior to burning the disc it will more than likely be compatible.Other drive Manufactures sometimes have drive utilities that will change the booktype prior to burning.

12. axl229

axl229 Member

hi i read the firt post about xbox backing up but i cant get flashfxp to pick up my xbox can you help please my xbox settings are below.i think its just the ips i type in the lan settings i need

setup network- yes
    use static IP-- no
    IP address-192.168.1.200
    subnet mask-255.255.255.0
    default gateway- 192.168.1.1
    DNS-194.63.248.1
    DNS-217.13.7.140
    setup delay-5

please help thanks

13. jwmc1971

jwmc1971 Member

djboogie ...did you even read the cpoy n paste you did about the crossover cable?? he says the same thing you regurgitated ...only he said it 1st and it was right ...no connect without a cross-over unless you have a router or other like product ...1st to correct the guy and use his words , but last to read and see thats exactly what you said . gessh ..senior member ????

14. dbonehead

dbonehead Member

Howdy!

Guys I'm still having connection dramas. Just so use know im a computer retard. I have 2 LAN network connections.(1) Realtek family PCI fast ethernet NIC and (2) Globespan Virata USB IAD LAN modem. Ive been setting the Realtek connections IP to 198.168.0.1 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and been leaving the other connections (2) properties to obtain automaticly. My router/modem is connected to the PC via USB and my XBOX is connected directly to the NIC via crossover cable. XBOX has evox mod and is set the way the guide has said, I have followed every other step in the guide but still cannot FTP. I have established a connection between PC and XBOX but when I look at the 'STATUS' of the connection it shows that i am sending packets but not receiving any. Whenever I try to FTP it alwats says timeout error connection failed.
    Have i connected it up correctly?
    Should i go buy a hub? I am very lost and need your help???
    Hope its not to confusing.

15. PACO_1

PACO_1 Member

QUADRATIC; I GOT EVERYTHING YOU SUGUESTED WOULD BE THE BEST IN YOUR PAST. I GOT MY XBOX MODDED USEING AVALAUNCH, SLAYERS EVO-X 2.6, CROSSOVER CABLE DIRECT TO MY PC VIA LINKSYS NO FIREWALL PUTTING THE IP ADDRESSES YOU POSTED, IVE GOT IPSWITCH WS FTP PRO V9.01 2004.08.18 AND FLASHXP V3.0.2 BUILD1045, GDFIMAGE WITH GUI AND DVD DECRYPTER, I CHOSE NOT HAVE A H/D PUT IN I'D RATHER BURN DISCS... PLUSS A WHOLE MANY MANY MORE PROGRAMS FOR RIPPING & BURNING. BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CAN NOT ACCESS MY XBOX, IT SAYS MY LAN IS CONNECTED BUT WHEN I EXECUTE WSF FTP PRO OR FLASHXP I GET CONNECTION TIMED OUT OVER AND OVER. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???????????? I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP OR HELP FROM ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME OVER COME THIS FIRST STEP.
    THANKS ALL: A REAL NEWBIE

16. joschez

joschez Regular member

Did you config your PC IP address?

17. PACO_1

PACO_1 Member

YES TO 192.168.0.1 WOULD YOU NEED ANY INFO FROM MY XBOX? I REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS

18. PACO_1

PACO_1 Member

JOSCHEZ THANKS FOR RESPONDING. IS IT ALLOWD AND WOULD YOU MIND INSANT MESSAGING? IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FASTER.
    IF OK: [​IMG] OR IF YOU USE ANOTHER LET ME KNOW.
    THANKS
    PACO

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  19. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ PACO_1

READ THE FORUM RULES.

- No posting in all caps

- No posting email addies.

20. PACO_1

PACO_1 Member

sorry did not mean to violate any rules