1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The dreaded error: WriteDVD 10 11 W2

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by crumbles, Aug 29, 2008.

1. crumbles

crumbles Member

Hi again. It's been two glorious years since I've had a problem.
    If you want to look at my past, here's the link: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/397172
    The solution? I forgot about the whole thing and just gave up. Then sometime in 2007, my whole system crashed and I had to reinstall and regain all my programs. Which was painful.

The good news was that clonedvd worked again!
    Whatever was causing a conflict was kicked out.

The bad news, is ye olde WriteDVD 10 11 W2 error has struck yet again in the past month or so.

It isn't my firmware.
    It isn't my media.
    It isn't my drives.

I spent lots and lots of time and heartbreak (and some money) updating my firmware, my media and even a new drive. Nothing.

It was some software/driver conflict all along.

Has anybody isolated the problem since then? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The problem restarted (i think), when I installed numerous programs, trying to get some kind of screen cap capability. How hard and how difficult was it? It boggles the mind. A free application in my old, powerdvd program that I no longer have...cause i have the ultra slick nvidia video card and dvd player that are too awesome to lower themselves to provide a screen cap option. I installed many free programs (divx for one) trying to get some sort of screen cap - maybe 5 different applications before finding one that worked and was at least free for a demo (capturewiz pro...demo worked for what I needed it for).

My theory is that one of those programs installed a driver or registry item that conflicts with dvd burning. All of those programs have been uninstalled. But the problem still persists.

So, back to the original question: has anyone isolated the driver or registry item or programs that creates the conflict that cause the feared WriteDVD 10 11 W2 error?

thanks to any and all suggestions.

(oh and if so, what is it and where can I find it and how do I correct?)

2. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

May not be able to handle the newer 16X media if you are trying to burn it, is your drive still the same?
    Are you using 8X media?
    If you have removed all of the conflicting software, perhaps an uninstall/reinstall of the burning programs might take care of any registry related problems. Just bouncing ideas off of you, see if any stick.

3. crumbles

crumbles Member

thanks for the quick response. the dvd rw drive is newish (16x bought in late 2006).

Anydvd and clonedvd unistalled and reinstalled.

Another forum mentions uninstalling quicktime. I like quicktime, but if it's an easy to implement fix, then i'll try anything.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you say you have conflicts........ have you cleaned out your registry by using CCleaner? Defrag aslo then reboot. Sounds simple, but most people don't do this. After a while windows gets bogged down and needs to be cleaned out. I also use other programs that clean everything out from temp files to registry and checking for downloaded trackers and such! It does make a difference.... because you say :
    which brings the computer and windows back to being all clean again! then a month later you get your error message... something in operating system and the programs installed are conflicting or is bogging down your computer and now it won't burn your DVDs! I keep my machine running like new and after 3+ years it's still like I just took it out of the box! I use a lot of cleaning tools and keep Windows running as fast as it can! that's the key. If windows works good then your computer keeps working good! here are my cleaning tools:

[​IMG]

after a long burning session (I burn about 2-6 DVDs at a time) I clean out my computer and stop it from being bogged down! It doesn't take long but it wipes things clean from it's intense burning processes and my machine has never let me down! It runs just as fast and perfectly since I took it out of the box!

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

also I love the fact that when people have problems and then they say:

well it seems that others with your same drive that you have has had the dreaded WriteDVD 10 11 W2 error dating back to Feb. 2007! And this was fixed by a firmware update! Read this thread:
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1739

If you can't find a newer firmware update for your drive then change your media to older versions! Your drive is not new and it might have problems with the NEWER media such as the Newer 4x or 8x DL media! Unless it has a new version of firmware to upgrade your drive to burn the newer media you still might get this error message! And don't forget if you have packet writing software on your computer this could interfere with your burning! Packet writing utilities such as Nero's "InCD" or Roxio are notorious for interfering with burn processes, as the way it works is to continually poll the burner to check for new media. This prevents the burn application gaining exclusive access to the burner, and sense code errors will happen - every time. Get rid of all packet writing utilities. They are more trouble than they are worth.

so keeping your computer clean and firmware updates (since your burner is already 2+ yrs old which might have problems with the newer DL media out there) and using a better media that USED TO WORK with your burner...... then you might have better success! So in My Humble Opinion:

It could be your firmware!
    It could be your media!
    It could be your drive!

Never look past the obvious! Because it might just be that!

6. crumbles

crumbles Member

I'll try ccleaner now, then do another defrag.

And although there is always a possibility it could be my firmware/media/drive...again, i really, really don't think so.
    Again, all these didn't work before the crash, then they DID after the crash. Then the error appeared after I installed all those programs and the error is still with me even after they have been uninstalled.

I've been down this road before and I'm wary of taking 2 weeks of frustrating, fruitless work trying to solve it.

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

what is the alternative? buy a new computer and start over? I know it's frustrating! I've been there myself. but if you can find what was done and correct it, this can be a very important lesson and the next time you will know exactly what to do!

when it DID work after the crash.... what media were you burning to and what programs were you using and what exactly were you burning? What movie, files, etc were you burning?

what programs did you install..... if you name them maybe we can see a conflict with what programs you are using?! so please give more information to us so we can help you better!

8. crumbles

crumbles Member

thanks Ihoe.

the media I used before the crash, after the crash and use now is verbatum.

Good and solid.

When Clonedvd was working, I had Roxios easy dvd/cd creator 7 installed...but only used it for making mix cds. Firefox is my main browser, though sometimes I use Opera and sometimes Explorer.
    My main media players are Winamp for audio and Windows Media Player for video. Quicktime, miro and itunes were also installed, but used to a much lesser extent.

I have since uninstalled quicktime and roxio, but they weren't the problem when clonedvd worked.

I burned maybe 2 dvds a month. some new titles, some old titles and one iso (Power of Nighmares, good stuff).

Programs installed in my mad dash for screen cap include divx (i would place a layman's bet that this is the ultimate culprit), capturewizpro, and maybe 2 or 3 others that I cant remember. All uninstalled. I wiped my download history too. Any ideas on how I can pull up my history of installs?

I have my antispam/cleanup program is spyhunter3. which i use every week or so.

I ran the windows disk clean up utility this morning and defragged afterwards.

I just ran cccleaner, but haven't yet rebooted. If that didn't work, I'll take a look at all your cleaning programs and go to town.

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

WinAmp caused me to have problems and I uninstalled that and my problems went away. Use RealPlayer instead of WinAmp. Just my opinion and I have no conflicts anymore when I got rid of WinAmp. Hopefully if you decide to uninstall Winamp do a clean up again.... then reboot! make sure those changes take place by rebooting.

Also check out your start up programs and processes! Sometimes you can clog things up with unneeded programs starting up when it really shouldn't until it's called for! This could help with windows working better and not clogging things or letting things conflict because of too many programs starting up at boot time. It's always good to keep windows running better and as fast as it should run which will stop many problems for occurring! good luck. hope things change for the better!

10. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  11. crumbles

crumbles Member

Defragged
    disc cleaned up
    ccleaner
    registryfix
    no more winamp
    no more quicktime
    no more roxio
    i found some stray divx files and deleted them.
    media is and was verbatum. always. 4 nonworking discs for tonight.
    firmware is and was current.
    disc copy speed lower than 4x
    rebooting after every change.
    then more registryfix and ccleaner

the burning drive is not new...and it is memorex...but it worked fine until a month or so ago. and it didn't work before, before the crash...then it did after i had to start from scratch and reinstall everything.

>which brings the computer and windows back to being all clean again! >then a month later you get your error message... something in >operating system and the programs installed are conflicting or is >bogging down your computer and now it won't burn your DVDs!

this has been exactly my thinking from the start. the problem is finding it and killing it dead, dead.

>Packet writing utilities such as Nero's "InCD" or Roxio are >notorious for interfering with burn processes, as the way it works >is to continually poll the burner to check for new media. This >prevents the burn application gaining exclusive access to the >burner, and sense code errors will happen - every time. Get rid of >all packet writing utilities. They are more trouble than they are >worth.

I had roxio 7 running and working when clonedvd worked.
    on the advice of the boards, it is deleted. as far as i know, all other packet writing utilities are gone as well.

i like cd creator 7 lots and would like to see it back and working. but for now, unitl this is figured, i'll leave it off.

cccleaner is a free utility, and seems to work well.
    regristryfix costs $40.00. Not cheap, but it also looks like a good, needed utility and worked well. but im not made of money and i dont plan on spending 20, 30 dollars for 10 different cleaning programs which may or may not (probably not) work.

can you direct me to more free or demo utilities that might help out?
    or one really, really good utility that i should have that is worth shelling out the bucks for?

or should i use that money to purchase another dvd burning program that doesn't have this problem. if so, which one would you recommend?

except for this rotten error, i love clonedvd.

12. crumbles

crumbles Member

oh...verbatum media is 16x -R
    MEMOREX 16X-DDL-IN 1.A4 05122600
    oldish, but not ancient....and it burned fine with this exact media for over a year.

13. crumbles

crumbles Member

via slysoft forum, the moderator asks the user for
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Check the values in "LowerFilters" and "UpperFilters". List everything there in your next post"

LowerFilters REG_MULTI_SZ AnyDVD ElbyDelay PxHelp20 Pfc AFS2K
    LowerFilers.Bak REG_MULTI_SZ AFS2K PXHELP20

UpperFilters REG_MULTI_SZ GEARAspiWDM

Don't know if you are able do anything or diagnose, or if i need to post on slysoft.

14. Joleca

Joleca Regular member

Along with CCleaner, I also use Advanced Windows Care Personal (Iobit) which is free and Vista Manager (Yamicsoft.com - not free, but you do get 15 day trial period where fully functional). If you're running XP, yamicsoft also has WinXP Manager

CCleaner first (mildest), then Advanced Windows Care (will find a bit more) and then Vista Manger which finds much much more than the previous 2.. Of course, CCleaner runs in under a minute.. Advanced Windows care takes 5-10 mins and Vista Manager can take 1/2 hour or more (all run fairly quickly on my laptop, but take 5-6 times longer on my desktop).

and as mentioned before, re-boot after running the cleaners.

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Just passing thru, with what may (or may not be) a quick and easy test.
    Just try running imgburn (free) from www.imgburn.com, it's totally trustworthy, solid, and won't conflict with anything. And did i say it's free ? :)
    You can then dump it or keep it, but either way it's got to be easier than all the other stuff.
    Also, have you considered XP's Service Pack 3 could be a culprit (if you have that installed i mean). Another problem a lot of people seem to be having lately (with dvd ripping, not sure if it affects burning, but you never know with Microsoft) is due to Internet Explorer 8. If you have that, dump it and see if that helps.

16. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Sometimes when you install video processing or disc burning programs they will automatically install new Windows Services that start automatically and run in the backround perhaps unknown to the user. Go to Administrative Tools > Services. Check the list for services that are related to these apps and change them to "stop/manual" or "disable".
    Occasionally one of these "hidden" services will interfere with another video/burning program. I've had this happen to me in the past. If that's not the problem it's an easy job to turn them back on again. Besides, you really don't need them starting up and running automatically anyway.

17. crumbles

crumbles Member

The answer, in my case, was the burner itself. Believe it or not.
    It was in the process of dying, so it would play dvds, but not record.
    New burner: HPdvd1070...22x. Now everything works like a charm.

I reinstalled Roxio AND Nero and have had no problems.
    I can even make DL disks now, without a hitch.

Thanks to everyone for responding and good luck to everyone who is having problems.

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I had a burner let me down a few years ago, and it wasn't even very old or used very much, it was a Sony drive. Anyways, by that time i had switched to using only reputable discs (after having been badly 'burnt' by using cheap and fake crap previously) so i only found out i had problems when i was watching one of the recently burnt discs and it was skipping/jumping; i went back and checked the last batch of burns and also tested/proved the burner was dying. Ditched the burner, bought a new one, CRC scanned the first handful of burns (using the exact same reputable media) to be sure i was able to trust the new drive, then no more problems ever again. Oh and luckily i had isolated the other corrupt discs and reburnt them on the new burner.