1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

if its still based on the FX layout then it will still suffer from the same issue's, what they need to do is dump there whole FX line. being the Bull Pile of Steam it is and start looking at ways to improve upon there K10 architecture.

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

ok i fixed it..did a few things updated java, debugged IE 8 and reset everything and updated..and removed a toolbar...i need to update this machine bad or reformat soon..but thanks for the help guys looks like you nailed it Ripper...beats buying a payware program to fix it which may or may not work

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,

I probably wouldn't have bought the FX-8320, at the time, but for the $150 price tag (Newegg 24 Hr. Special), it was too tempting to pass up. Especially since I already had a Phenom IIx6 1090t BE, and a new Phenom II x4 965 BE on hand, along with a 5 month old GigaByte 990XA-UD3, and a new one. It was a golden opportunity to compare the three CPUs, and then compare the best two. You can't beat testing all of them on the same platform, with identical software. The whole plan was shot to hell, when the older 790XA went down. After some hassles with GigaByte, I bought a 990FXA-UD5, and started from scratch. It wound up being a contest between the 1090t and the 8320, on two brand new Computers, in two new cases. The only used parts were the 1090t, 2x4GB 1600, cas 7 GSkill memory, and one of the OCZ Fata1ty 550w modular PSUs. I had a devil of a time convincing M$ that all the new parts were an upgrade for two different CPUs. I sent them copies of the invoices, and they conceded! I had no trouble registering Win 8 for the 1090t, as I had already told them about purchasing it. I guess the information was entered into their computers, because my registration didn't take 5 seconds to be approved. I didn't have to answer any questions, or anything, just "Bang!", approved. :)

The 1090t is a bit faster in single threaded apps, but my AutoCad software for miniature air turbines, can now handle up to 12 cores, so the FX-8320 becomes my choice. It does things in minutes now, that used to take hours to do before, and it shows much more information, as well. Plus, it makes my job easier, and is perfect for my uses. The 1090t would probably be best for your needs. Best of luck with it, and I hope you get as well binned a chip, as I got. Once my fans get here, I'll have silence again. This Slipstream 140 is downright loud, even at 900-950 rpm!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow Russ! That's about the price I'm talking about! I wouldn't feel too discouraged. I would spend that if I had the board. And I'm gonna need the board anyway ;) Tax time should prove interesting. I wonder just how much gain I would see in X264 compared to the 1090t. I'll have to run some googles in the morning ;) No, I'm not getting excited here. I am aware that the gain would be fairly marginal :p

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Glad to hear it!

6. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

Wow good job Ripper.

Happy New Year all.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Exactly why I have no problem with it at all. Simply not the type of performance I need. I basically need to get a decently binned X6 ie at least 4GHz for it to be a worthwhile upgrade. I'm counting on 2 extra cores, the better memory controller AND extra overclocking ability to give me a proper performance boost. Over 4GHz say 4.2-4.4 would be incredible.

8. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

So do like me and get the Vishera FX-8350 4GHz native 8 core that can be pushed much higher. I've been thinking of the Intel x79's as I can run 64GB RAM or even up to 128GB RAM but the extra price for even the low end CPU on that rig adds well over $500 and AMD's Hudson's can handle more RAM but there are no great CPU's for that solution so it's either a 32GB RAM AM3+ or the Intel x79 with boog-goo RAM, which is what I'd like to have but don't know if I can afford it right now. So since I can use the extra cores and the AM3+ is much cheaper that is the route I'm probably going.

Stevo

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Point is though Stevo, since the IPC isn't the same for Piledriver vs. Phenom II, even with 4ghz like for like, the X6 is going to be the faster CPU, by a fairly substantial margin.
    The gap between the two architectures looks smaller than it really is due to the lower default clocks of the X6 - i.e. 3200/3400 for the 1090/1100, versus 3600/4000 for the 8150/8350.

A 4Ghz Piledriver gets you a lot more out of the FX series, but per core it's still nothing to shout about.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I definitely see some good gains in X264 compared to 1090t. The kind of gains that make it worth it? Depends on a persons needs I think. I generally run my encodes at night, while I'm sleeping. So very little advantage for myself. Though I do have jobs stacking up. If I had more money at present, I'd probably strongly consider it. Because AM3+ is a board I'm probably gonna need anyhow. I have a feeling Steamroller will be what the doctor ordered. 3rd times a charm! LOL! I guess we'll see though.

I could probably run twice as many jobs while I sleep. Gonna have to calculate that!

I'd like to buy an AM3+ board right now, but I'm not getting the hours I need at my secondary job. Perhaps my tax return will allow. But I desperately want a new camera. Not a cheapy either. And my cars tires are getting close to bald too. MAN I need more hours :(

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  11. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Happy New Year Everyone

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

same to you.

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I agree AMD is by far the cheaper route for the relative performance but only because I have the board and other hardware to compliment it. If I were currently building new, I would be going Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge for the sheer single threaded performance. Even the 1090T can't match that. I wish I used more photo manipulation, video encoding or CAD software like Russ and Omega, as Bulldozer/Piledriver would be the perfect CPU for me. Intel currently doesn't offer the same multithreaded performance for the relative price. Too bad my focus is on gaming where i5 and Phenom II X6 hold somewhat of a lead.

I have to agree here. Piledriver is a good improvement in some ways but still doesn't show anything for performance improvements. Certainly not a downgrade, but I simply need single threaded performance much more, and nothing about Piledriver's improvements is going to influence that. Considering they have similar clockspeed headroom on my particular cooling setup ie 4.0-4.4GHz, I would imagine the 1090T is going to be slightly faster in everything but multithreaded apps. A Piledriver or Bulldozer would need a very significant lead in clocks to be faster. 4.6GHz+ which I hear takes better cooling than I currently have.

Too bad I've heard elsewhere AMD is drastically downscaling processor manufacturing as part of a restructure.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/07/amd-cuts-silicon-orders-suffers-consequences/

Most of it is due to financial troubles. AMD is basically teetering on the edge and trying to expand itself at the same time. I truly hope they don't go belly up(knock on wood). I started on AMD and hope to keep using them indefinitely. Interestingly they still have a decent deal going on with gaming console chips.

14. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I agree and will go with the FX8350 since I see those same comparisons to Intel as well but still gain from price and core power. If I was playing a single thread game then it might be different, might be.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

This is from a page back but still relevant.

I think this says everything. Bulldozer/Piledriver have their place but not for gamers.

If I were more multimedia oriented, I wouldn't blink twice at buying a newer AMD chip. No contest. Gamers are unfortunately somewhat limited in what they can do because games have specific needs. I could game just fine with a new AMD chip, but it doesn't make sense for me to buy one if I can get a used Phenom II X6 for a similar price. I don't believe my board supports Bulldozer either. It was designed for AM3 Phenom IIs. I would need to acquire a 990 board, which I have been sort of planning, but isn't needed for an X6.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Not for gamers eh? I don't consider myself a gamer. But I am an encoder. But fact of the matter is, I'm both :p More so an encoder I suppose. But I do strongly prefer Agreeable framerates. My AMD 940 Phenom II handled GTA IV(Very CPU intensive) just fine. And that was at a mere 3.5Ghz. I'm sure the piledriver bests the 940 easily per core.

According to Anandtechs benchmarks, piledriver smokes the 940 in office applications(assuming mostly single core). Frankly, I didn't see much difference moving to 965. Moving to 1090t however, very big difference. In X264 anyhow. I reference the 940 because I still have fond memories of it being a very decent quad core. But it was my first. Surely we're only talking about a couple of frames here. I recall the 940 running upwards of 45Fps average easily on my GTX 260(GTA IV). I could even record with FRAPS simultaneously, which didn't seem to bottleneck it.

17. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I know hard core gamers that still use AMD and one of them has the 8350 and decided not to OC it as it performs well for him stock. Now it does matter what games you play as some run much better on Intel but there is no reason you can't make AMD's work well for gaming and like mentioned they rock for multitasking. Now if I had games that performed better on Intel's I would stick with that as it is a no brainier unless you are talking thousands of dollars versus less than.

I game too but stay away from some of the hard core games just because I'm not using a mouse to game which seems to be popular these days. I prefer real devices like race wheels, joysticks, and gamepads, unfortunately most big games don't support such devices these days so I don't play them.

18. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

Wow, Russ, your auto cad sounds very interesting - I have a family member who uses auto cad in construction and has had to get involved with much heftier computers to run it.

What are you doing with miniature air turbines - are you designing hobbiest jet airplanes? Sounds intriguing.

Rich

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You guys have a safe fun night! I'm out! Happy new year! :D

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

same to you