1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I really need a second job again! So I can afford the good toys. My brother is trying to push me into big truck driving for UPS. I'd make a great deal of money, but I hate night time driving :S

I always said I wouldn't work for the money though, unless I enjoyed it. Sitting in a truck driving all the time, isn't my idea of fun. Sitting at a desk employed by a large name like Nvidia or Microsoft sounds appealing though :D Wish in one hand though...

I suppose that money could certainly get me started though. The more toys I own, the more I learn. I have all the time in the world, but no money :(

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hey I've got a better taste in music than that :p

3. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

You have great taste in music Sam, at least from what I'm aware of, now Jeff that's a whole different story.... LOL

Kev, I get it, the money would be great but the job, not so, I'm like you, I want to enjoy what I'm doing too.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL I think I've got pretty good taste in music. I don't really listen to rap. Lots of older music though. Fleetwood Mac is probably my favorite band :)

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I listen to just about anything. I try to be open. But I must admit, I have not found much rap (at all) that I find agreeable.

80s rock, and modern metal are my more favored, but... I can easily start listening to Enya shortly after xD

6. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Fleetwood Mac is fantastic! They have 8 new songs and are working together again. The new CD should be out in 2015.

I do like some RAP, very little really, but Kid Rock, Nelly and one or two others is all I can muster. I use to be a Country fan, not so much now. I like Blues, Jazz, Rock, Country Rock, 50's to present, Motown, and even some Swing from the 40's (big band) among many other genre's

Blues is my favorite, Robert Cray, Ana Popovic, Clapton, Jeff Beck, all of the King boys and a ton more.

Ana Popovic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  7. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

But where is the content for UHD? Are there UHD DVD's out there. It seems, if there are any content, it has to be very limited..........so what's the point in purchasing a UHD TV now?

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

UHD/4K/8K is strictly limited to tailor-made content and PC screen realestate/gaming for now.

UHD seems a rather long way off for me personally. I'm still contemplating 2560 x 1440 for my own uses, and really only for the extra size. 1920 x 1200/1080p have always been fantastic resolutions for my needs :)

9. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Netflix has UHD. There are more then 50 movies right now that are in UHD but you either have to stream them or get them on HDD.

There is no format right now cast in stone for Blu-ray but it is very close and will be released soon. Then the movies will flood the market as directors have been shooting 4K/8K movies for some time now. One of the first to be shot in 4K was the "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2008)", that's 6 years ago.

What Jeff says is not true there is plenty of content out there and now that prices have dropped for the TV's there is a surge for content, by next year you will see a huge jump towards UHD. Vizio will be coming out with UHD 50-65" TV's for $1000-$1500 this fall. My mom has viewed my TV and now she wants one and that is without showing her UHD content, just upscaled 1080i.

Although 1080p is real nice, 4K is 4 times nicer, much! and is most definitely distinguished between the two. Here is another very important point, 4K can viewed very close to the TV unlike 4x less sets like 1080p and the side-to-side and up-down viewing is much better too.

If you need a new TV it's a no brainier to upgrade to a UHD TV like I did.

10. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I think I will hold off for a while, since I purchased in 2012 a Samsung Plasma PN64D8000 3D TV, and a Samsung 55 LED 3D, plus 2 3D players. I think I'm good to go for sometime now. I must admit I am really disappointed in 3D. I remember many years ago when 3D came out in the movies, objects would actually jump out of the screen heading right at you, and me ducking thinking they were going to hit me. Not so now.

But, thanks for the info.

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Hmmm $1000+ for a TV, or $400 for my current TV... neither of which I'll use much at all.

The only console I play regularly is the N64 at 640 x 480 max for the really impressive games. I just seriously have zero need for such an expensive TV. By the time I've gone to the effort of even plugging in my HDMI cable and switching monitors(which takes all of 30 seconds) I've already decided it's just easier to use my monitors. Also, HD film doesn't really trip my trigger. Of course I have a fine eye for detail, and can easily enjoy HD for what it is, I just don't give a damn. Heck, my parents are still using tube televisions and haven't even thought about an upgrade. It's just that we've had high resolution film for ages, so it has no real novelty for me. A DVD is enough to shut me up.

Also, IMO there is a certainly a point where film is too high of a resolution. 8K approaches that. I don't want to count blackheads and pores, or see how terribly edited the effects are... Many films can suffer horribly from the HD treatment. Star Wars being a good example. Some scenes simply look bad at 1080p due to the low budget of the film, and George Lucas' CGI sodomy didn't help matters much(seriously, it's not even good quality CGI like the other Star Wars films).

Also, have watched Avatar in its original resolution, 2048x1152, upscaled on a 4K television. The biggest thing I noticed? The blocky geometry and limited texture resolution, not to mention some effects did not blend well at all.

Don't get me wrong, 4K and 8K are great. Good to see consumers finally buying things that don't patently suck for once. They do make flaws in filming stick out like a sore thumb though.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Have seen this one before. I always thought those PCI-E ribbons were neat.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  14. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

In the 1950's ? or one of the more recent rebakes of 3D. You are right the original 3D some 50+ years ago was better and one of the rebakes in the 70's-80's was too but it isn't so great now. However the new curved screens are much better then a flat screen 3D.

If you don't need a TV right now I'd wait too but I must say this new HU8550 or HU9000 are much better then my Samsung Plasma and of course LED/LCD's 1080p.

15. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Good to know, thanks.

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The only 3D I've actually used in someone's home was with a Sony TV and active glasses in a PS3 game designed as a 3D showcase. I thought it was extremely impressive for what it was. The game, Killzone 3, was a really great game too. Had exceptional graphics even without the 3D. Certainly shifted my opinion on 3D somewhat.

Plasma has never impressed me in the slightest. Hot running TVs with a limited lifespan by design and honestly I don't see the image quality or color benefit on even very expensive ones. LED to me is a more pleasing to the eye. I am very much a fan of LED.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

18. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

That's funny Fred.... I just love Ana but have never had the opportunity to go see her in concert the few times she has made it across the pound, but hopefully she will be back soon and I'm going to make sure I see her this time around, even if I have to go to NY to see her.

Sorry for not mentioning the Almond Brothers, a slight oversight in my old age! LOL ;P

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

pond as in water pond not pound as in pound of meat.

20. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

OK, so I'm looking for a pound of meat... I just checked and she is touring over here right now but I won't make it unless I can get her when she comes back across the pond from the tour she is on now. It's possible I can see her in August.

Not many ponds in Canada Ah! :D

Last edited: May 27, 2014