1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

When you speak of streaming it is all within your Intranet I would assume, shame on me for that, so your Internet speeds shouldn't effect streaming internally. However if you're using WiFi that most certainly would. Also if your LAN connected in your Intranet it helps to have a large frame buffering which I have and my routers-switches are LFB profession gear. My WiFi router is an AC1750 so any device that supports dual band and higher WiFi speeds will, should, perform well when streaming in the Intranet structure. I'll try Universal thanks for the suggestion.

We are in sync of sound fields as you feel the same as I do. TEAC used to be professional high-end gear but now they have shifted that focus to TASCAM which used to be crap gear, it's funny sometimes how thing change.

That was my point on structural cracking and like I stated my stereo has tons more power, my speakers and extremely better too, and I'm not cracking things, unless they fall off a shelf or table. LOL

2. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

Hey Guys,

You may already be aware of Samsung's new 850 Pro line but if you are not they are using a V-NAND in a buble memory configuration, they call it 3D marketing BS, but they come with a 10 year warranty and have a write cycle life of over 10 years of use at 40GB per day, 40GB per day works out to actually 145.7TB, their actual life expectancy is 150TB minimum. Just like the 840 Pro's they are a fast NAND but with the new stacked structure the lower 128GB size is pretty much as fast as the 1TB V-NAND. This will be next on my list of drives to buy even though I need to get some good old mechanical drives for my Video/Audio libraries. They went on sale today on Newegg if you want to check them out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ung-_-footer-_-cta&et_cid=10698&et_rid=239000

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You make me wish I had money to play with. Those are highly tempting :)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Looking at getting a bigger SSD to replace one of my 40s - I'm quite tempted by those, as so far Voyager's 128GB 830 has served me well. More money though :p

5. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

That's what I'm thinking too. I'm either going to get the 512GB or the 1TB, the 1TB is the better deal but it costs more of course. Same boat.... ;)

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I can't see needing a 1Tb at the moment. But 512GB I'd be on board. I could definitely make use of that LOL!

7. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

Heyo people's, I just have a side note question to ask...

Recently I was looking on a computer site to find that Intel have launched the 5th Gen of their processor which is looking like a good upgrade from my i7 980X rig from around 4 years ago.

Anyways, my question is, have any of you good people's got a chance to check out their 5930K or 5960X for an overall speed boost compared to the 980X, or would overclocking my rig just be a better option?

But to stay on the SSD side of the forum I hear the Plextor M6e has a high read and write speed that's faster by a couple hundred MB/s that could be worth checking out...

8. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I'm not a big Intel fan but I did see that and was thinking if I was going to try them it wouldn't be the 6 core 5960X I'd like to jump on the 8 core but that is around $1k USD so it's a big jump! I've heard that they are pretty sweet but that is third hand and unless it is someone I trust I don't put much on 3rd party. I do many thing that require multiple cores so for me right now 8 to 16 cores would be ideal with a high clock cycle. I don't think you can go wrong upgrading to the 5960X and I would think you'll see a boost in power.

As to Plexor, I got burnt on them a while back but the SSD you speak of sounds good so the question would be are they Intel/Samsung quality or are they OCz?

Thanks for the input. ;P

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

"Or are they OCZ"
    :p My OCZ is still going strong thank you! :p

10. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

Tbh, I'm not familiar with plextor at all but happened to see it on the same computer site boasting around 770MB/sR/625MB/sW. I couldnt fault them for trying to sell it as is at those real time speeds tho.

Whats 4 computer years compared to real years in terms of the speed upgrades btw? :)) My rig might have the age of crowning 40 years, but still ticking over as a 21 year old imho. I cranked up the voltage and got it steady at 4.14GHz but can get 4.43 with the mainboard I have. It just eats power tho so had to turn down the juice a bit. (lol, almost want to name her as part of the family shes been here this long, lol)

11. Mr-Movies

Mr-Movies Active member

I've bought some new gear for my Media Center system and main PC. The drives I bought are NAS drives as I may use them down the road for a RAID 5 configuration but for now I think I'll set them up as a JBOD spanned drive in my new 4 bay sidecar, USB3 & eSATA hookups. That sidecar is a product manufacture I've never used but looks interesting however I should have looked at a NAS standalone as that would be more versatile and more expensive which is why I went this path. For my main PC I've been using a backlighted Azio KB505U which I like the backlight but the keyboard itself absolutely sucks, keys stick and I'm constantly missing characters or even getting too many, repeats. I'm hoping this new much more expensive keyboard will be a better experience for me.

Media Center Addon's and I'm thinking of possibly hooking up the sidecar directly to my HU8550 UHDTV instead of through my Shuttle Media Center since both have USB3 connections.
    (1qty) Archgon MH-3643-JSC USB 3.0 & eSATA Quad Bay 2.5"/3.5" HDD Enclosure w/4 Speeds of Cooling Fan
    (2qty) Seagate NAS HDD ST4000VN000 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive

Main PC Keyboard
    (1qty) Corsair CH-9000074-NA Vengeance K70 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Red - Limited Edition

I'm crossing my figures guys....
    Steve ;P

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Morning guys, I see everything is new, lol, need to get use to it, anyway has anybody have problems since AD's new site, e.g. everytime there is a new post on this threat or any other thread for that matter we always get an e-mail, have not gotten any for a long time thinking things were quiet not so, anyone else with the same problem?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You have to visit the thread every day something new is posted or it stops emailing you. Bit of a nuisance :p

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I did have the problem, yes Fred. But since I've reposted to threads I've always been involved with, all is well again.

I sure do want that WD60EZRX! But, at $280, I'll be waiting a little while yet :(

My problems aren't that extreme sam :p

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What, only one? :)
    Talking of storage, gave my little server a bit of a tweak yesterday, replaced the ageing Nexus PSU with a bad fan bearing with a Corsair RM650, and installed an NZXT Grid+ to control the fans. While its control is a little ham-fisted in the sense it only responds to temperature in 10ÂșC increments, it is nice to have a device that can control all five case fans based off the CPU temperature.

16. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I never had to visit before, I would get e-mailed any time there was a new post, but since writing a new post on this threat first in a while finally got an e-mail right after you posted sammy, so whatever it was it fixed itself hopefully.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes, just one! LOL! At that price, I can only buy one. And I may have to sell a couple of my current drives, to allow for the purchase. I'm hopeful that I'm close to moving up in the ranks at my job. Then my financial woes will be a thing of the past :D

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Easy to forget, but people used to have 10-disk RAID6 arrays to get 6TB of storage :p
    Then again, 'people used to have' a lot of things, haha

I suppose that one seems more poignant as I'm still using a drive that came from one such array in my LAN PC, an old 750GB 7200.10.
    Currently my server is running:
    2x WD20EARS Mk. I
    1x WD20EARS Mk. II
    2x WD20EARX
    4x WD30EZRX Mk. I (3 retail, 1 RMA)
    6x WD30EZRX Mk. II
    3x WD30EFRX
    4x WD40EFRX

As well as the WD20EARS Mk. II and WD2001FAEX in the gaming PC. The WD20EARS disks in the server are slowly being replaced as capacity dictates with bigger disks. I will probably retain a good number of 2TB disks for several years however, to ensure important data is backed up on disks that till use MBR and not GPT, just in case there are any more sector overlap issues in my future!

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Incredible array! You certainly have me beat lol.
    Not counting my 240Gb OCZ vertex 4(?) in my laptop.
    I currently have:
    1x WD1500HLFS
    1x WD1001FALS
    1x WD20EARS
    1x 2Tb Seagate (came from a NAS)
    1x WD30EZRS
    1x WD30EZRX
    1x WD40EZRX

Wow, forgot I had 15TB lol! Though roughly only 1Tb of free space. Hence the reason I want the 6TB drive :D

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I've been busy! 16GB of 2400MHz memory with good timings ordered on discount for $144.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313325

[​IMG]

As you can see, they have allowed me quite a bit of breathing space to play with my FSB overclock, something the old modules were limiting. Being a Phenom II-based configuration, this setup is limited to 1600MHz max on any set of memory modules, period. That is, they are limited to that while maintaining stock settings or multi OCing. With a proper FSB OC though, they can be opened up quite a bit! It would obviously be insane to try and reach their rated 2400MHz, considering this result is with the max memory multiplier. They do play nice when underclocked though, and can still run at far better settings than my 1600MHz CL9 G.Skill kit. 2.4GHz RAM will have to wait for my Intel build :)

2000MHz with decent-ish timings while maintaining my 4GHz OC so far. Very pleased with that. My next step will probably be a shot at tightening those timings a little. These are the auto timings. I might leave it right where it is as these are pretty dang good. Excellent quality memory from Team.

I will certainly be running a longer stress test on these settings as well, in the form of some gaming!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014