1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by souldoubt, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herrick

herrick Regular member

Thanks, as usaul always informitive

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i know this dont have anything really to do with building a PC. i think its a softare or program problem.i have anydvd and clonedvd2 on 2 different computer. one is a older system about 5years old and one i just got last august. i am unable to rip or burn on the newer one with anydvd and clonedvd2 but the other system i can. i have windows 2000 on the older and windows XP SP2 on the newer.i can rip/ burn on the older and not on the newer. but only certain movies. is this some kind of program or software problem???? i have uninstalled and reinstalled anydvd and clonedvd2 with the same results. ihave even did a system restore to back when i wasnt having this problem..
    does anyone have any idea here??? thanks for any info

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

try the older dvd drive in the new machine.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats what i have done now the old drive in my new system and still have the same problem

5. herrick

herrick Regular member

Have some questions on monitors... I am looking everywhere to find 2 20in LCD monitors for around or under $600.00 [ Ive been at it for a while ah, ah, ah, ] anyways heres my questions-

Please tell me the differance between 1400x1050 and 1680x1050 save the humor... I realize one is going to be better quality- but will I see a differance in say- playing Farcry and Doom? How much of a differance?

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@rob
    it must be software related then sorry bro, only thing i can think of is look for any known issues that might arise with anydvd and other software on your newwer pc.

@herric

the 1600 by 1000 is a wide screen on and the 1400 by 1000 isnt, the ws one will be great for films and make your desktop look huge, but not many games support it right now. thats not to say that they wont in the future, because as more people get those screens they will need to support them. the 1400 by 1000 is a normal square screen and will give you a good.picture.

things you want to look for are hdmc compatible, response time, less is better, brighness and contrast, more is better. now looking at your sig i think that running the two 1600 by 1000 screens of the sli 6600s might might realy dent your frame rates in games, but if you get them and hang on a bit the current gen of cards are going to drop in price as they move over to dx10.

as for the earlier one about the 7600gtxxx im not 100% but if those 2 are about as good as 1 6800ultra, the 1 7600 might give you about 150% of what you have now, maybe a bit more?

i have a asus 7600gt and on my 1200 by 1000 19" i get an avg of 78 fps in fear with soft shadows on med and the rest on full. the only game i get less than 40 fps on is oblivion and that can drop down to about 15 at times. how it would cope with two screens i dont know.

i think that for the price its great value. unless you can get a x1650xt with 24 pipes, not the pro1650xt which only has 12, it will give you better performance at around the same price as a 7600gt (they are in the uk, not sure about the states)

7. herrick

herrick Regular member

8. herrick

herrick Regular member

9. herrick

herrick Regular member

hdmc compatible ???

10. herrick

herrick Regular member

@marsey99

Not sure what you mean about using two screen in SLI mode... while in SLI mode only one screen will work, the other is shut down

11. Rob_K

Rob_K Member

K, noob question because I am not only a noob to this forum I am also a noob at making PC's. I am not, however, computer illiterate. I am more knowledgable in the sofware department. So don't feel the need to dumb things down for me. Anyway, back on topic. I was wondering if you could still post the three things the OP talked about and have a few suggestions thrown this way or has this thread wandered off track. I am interested in making a high-powered gaming PC, but I don't know if I'm in the right spot. Any response would be appreciated.

-Rob

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

if it was my money id get the dell.

sorry it was a typo it should of said hdcp.

i thought you would have your desk top across both screens to give you one big one, thats how id do it. you would need a powerful card for that.

1600 by 1000 is were the bigger cards start to leave the 7600gt behind, check here, you can compare your current setup with the 7600gt and others in various games and benchmarks, just set it to the res your going to be running.

@rob

i think your in the right place, but some of the other regulars seem to be on holiday or somthing.

if you could give us an idea of usage and budget we can point you in the right direction, also your location as theres now point me posting a link to newegg if your in the uk.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  13. Rob_K

Rob_K Member

Thanks for the relpy! First off, I want this to be a computer SOLELY for gaming, the computer I am on right now is adequate for everything I need for school, but I want a clutter-free ultimate gaming PC. I work at a computer supplies retailer so I get discounts off of everything, but they don't have everything I want, so I used Newegg.com too. I have a few things picked out, but those were just based off a few minutes of reading. What I'm interested in is most definitely a dual core processor, a super fast hard drive(doesn't matter if it's small) and not SCSI either. What I'm willing to splurge on is the video card and the processor. I want more than sufficient cooling, because right now overheating is a problem. So, thats what I'm thinking right now. If any of these ideas contradict lemme know. Your responses are highly appreciated. I'm in the US and my budget is about $2k.

-Rob

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Rob_K what iam running per my sig is a great gaming machine so check it out

[bold]Lian-Li V1000 Full Tower/Antec-TruePower550-Watt/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB Socket 939/ Seagate160GB Barracuda/ Westeren Digital Raptor 150 GB Sata/NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2,1 GB of GDDR3 Memory / CORSAIR XMS 2GB DDR SDRAM (PC 3500)/AMD Opteron 175 Demark Dual Core/Zalman CNPS-9500 LED Cooler/3-Plextor PX-716A Drives/Lite-On SHW-160P6S/View Sonic-VP2030b 20.1"LCD 1600x1200 res.8ms Respone Time
    [/bold]

only thing different i would do now is go with a different case (which i am getting soon) this is the one to get

http://www.calibex.com/Antec-9-BAY-MIDTOWER-515911662/cb2/prices-html

or if you want to go less expensive on a CPU the AMD 4200x2 is a great core or the new Intel chips 6600/6800

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2006
  15. Rob_K

Rob_K Member

That does look like a good system, do you know of any possible upgrades coming out in the coming months? Also, what kind of games do you play and what does your fps/load times look like?

P.S - I'm usually an Intel and ATI fan, but you have AMD and nVidia stuff, is there a reason for you picking these certain parts?

Thanks so much for the help so far!

-Rob

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i don't game alot but some i play BF2 and Ghost Recon online is about all

theres going to be directx10 in the coming months so theres new video cards coming out to support that . i am not worried about it being iwon't be playing any games that support it.

both chips are good Intel or AMD as long as you stay pretty highend. the opteron was just a good fit for what i am doing and i had both ATI and NVIDIA and like the NVIDIA better less driver problems warmer picture etc.my fps wih this 7950 GX2 stay pretty much maxed out ,its a great card

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce7.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2006
  17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

youve not give a price so il spend it were it counts.

cpu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004

mobo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131073

ram
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145566

gcard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130072

hd
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136033

psu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817128008

now the case is upto realy as you have to look at it not me. i have a phong 2 as it was cheap and it stays cool.

with this set up you can overclock it to about 2.5ghz easy, some have hit 3ghz.

18. Rob_K

Rob_K Member

Wow that's an impressive rig. Sorry about the budget thing, I updated it last night on to the end of my message but I guess I did it too late. My budget is about 2,000 dollars and after Missouri tax that system will cost me about 1700 w/o the case. By the way, that gcard is CRAZY! But I'm guessing that will be the last thing I'll have to update.

Thanks so much for the help,

-Rob

19. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I have my E6400 overclocked to 3.2 Ghz with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, voltage bumped from 1.325 to 1.35, and temps around 29 - 30C idle and 47 - 49C (with SpeedFan and Gigabyte utility) under full load (100% dual prime) 12+ hours. (CoreTemp reads 57 - 58C) That was an EASY overclock. I've seen higher with better RAM and cooling (edit: the RAM they've chosen for you is more "overclockable" than mine)...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  20. esoteric1

esoteric1 Guest

i think im gunna get basically that same system except the GTS instead of the GTX. And a thermaltake 750W tough power w/modular cable just because the site i use has it marked down 70$. And overclocking the CPU with the help of that arctic freezer 7 should leave me sittin pretty. Oh but one question, is 1 Gb of Corsair XMS2 gunna be enough?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.