1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Praetor

There's a limit to the dot pitch a monitor can have and the larger ones will have to share that distinction with the smaller ones.

[bold]Arent most LCDs sitting at 0.28-0.31?[/bold]

Which is nothing compared to their pathetic color balance

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Very true (finally someone who agrees with me on LCDs!!!!) ... in either case, we're starting to drift ;-)

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Praetor

We aren't drifting entirely, my monitor is a "Dream computer monitor."

4. Praetor

Ah, right you are :)

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Should have hacked that out, created a monitor thread and posted way. I thought you were a Mod Preator :)

To stay on this off topic for my comment, the only major advantage of LCD is it dosn`t burn my eyes staring at it for long period of time. Also it doesn`t have scan lines that will drive you crazy. Well Me crazy. But I do hate that Black is not possible, that really messes up the Imaging.

Also you would be amazed at what you can get in a big city like Toronto. When the tenants don`t pay the rent, that P3 ends up in the garbage. As well as other stuff. It is a good resorce.

Projectors for $150! You have to hook me up.

6. Praetor

Damn I thought I was too.

Sent ya PM

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

@Prisone

Every system I've ever built was a "Dream computer," and for me the monitor has always been at the top of my list of important choices. I can afford whatever I want. I prefer CRT's because in most ways that count they are superior to LCD's at half their price. I do expect that to change and I can't wait until LCD's replce these bulky CRTS, but it hasn't happened yet.
    Follow the link for a comparison.

http://www.displaymate.com/crtvslcd.html

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I wish I had your budget!!

But seriously I completely agree. One of the major reasons why I went with my current Notebook computer is that the LCD's on Notebooks are still superior to any other available LCD screen. Also the cost works in better there.
    However I don't think LCD's will replace the good old CRT. If they do it right I think the SED's will. Uses the similar technology as CRT but is as thin or thinner than large LCD screens.

But really good point, who cares what you have under the hood. IF you can see it glory on the screen, whats the point.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

@Prisoner

I want a very large thin screen, but why spend more for less until less is more? Another note on your dumpster diving! I can't get enough pack-rat people to donate their old parts for me to build computers with and for "Inner City Kids." Perhaps I should recruit talented Dumpster divers such as you. LOL

10. Praetor

LOL @ both of ya's ... heehee play nice :p You must agree Prisonor, "dumpster diving" -- while fun (and yeah I do it and can lead to some damn kewl things) -- is not quite what fits the bill for "Ultimate Dream Machine" :)

11. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I think we are still playing nice. So I like to root though your garbage, its all good. I can tell you what your groceries were last week :)

Preator, I do know. But no one has commented on my cool stereo sunglasses idea. Come on don't you think it would be great.
    To expand on it if we had high speed connection digital phone network connected to it, then you really don't need any storage media and you could also use the sunglasses for makeing phone calls. The number of features in 3D are limitless.

This is such a good idea I will have to build it. Watch out palm the Prisoner Glasses are on the way :p

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

@Prisoner

You're right, and I am still playing nice, and I'm happy that you are too. I really do build computers for inner city kids and someone with your skills really would be helpful to that cause. Even old parts properly assembled are the stuff that dream computers are made of to them.

13. Praetor

I've seen that but i dunno.... i wouldnt ever take it off..... wouldnt my neck like uh.... break? LOL

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

[bold]But no one has commented on my cool stereo sunglasses idea[/bold]

I think we all dream of virtual reality and computers together. Cool way to keep in touch. If you use your cellphone while you drive now, you'll be a real hazard on the road with a pair of those.

15. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well good enough and true. I didn`t think of the Addicts, well from dRD`s list thats not that many people. But your right, some wouldn`t never take them off. But with my design it would be really light. the heaviest part would be the batter and if I enginered it correctly I could make the solar powered from the lenses. But would be enough, it would need Li battery.

Also, Sophocles I think I would enjoy that. Stoping all the just from ending up overseas in toxic dumbs and helping less forturante individuals. Sounds good.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm! Now we're really off topic, maybe not, computer sceen sunglasses might be somebody's dream computer. That and with the chip driven solar powered coat? Hmm!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  17. Dkarn

Dkarn Member

Heya there, just to snap right back to the topic! Praetor, back in may the very first post down was your list of recommended components for the best normal money can buy. Having kept track with all the arguments down the line what would you say now? Still stick by your guns or have you discovered something better? The reason i ask is that i am about to price up a computer and i want 'fast' 'powerful' and economic! With things like BTX and PCI-express all lined up for sale soon (or now) i dont want to buy the be all and end all of PC's only to have the tech. to change and find i have missed something. My budget is in GBP (england cash) and is about 1500 USD less is better. AMD is best bang for buck at the mo, so XP or 64 is good. No clue about mobo, but sound and lan is a must. ATI (cheaper?) card, i would like 256mb if it is worth the money for real time improvments in speed and quality, but i have found so much confict over this i have given up trying. Anyway, apart from that the rest i have sorted 1 gig paired ram, 200gig SATA HDD um... and case and stuff, which will go by impulse and taste (in other words i havent found a nice simple one with a cover that i like).
    Any help, from anyone would be much appreciated! Cheers!

EDIT: Sorry, the last bit should be under computer building, but i didnt want to do 2 posts as i get confused easily ;)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It's not where your running to that matters... It's what your running from that counts!![/small]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  18. Praetor

I dunno i wouldnt expect much to have changed between then and now other than faster clocks etc. I wouldnt expect any massive changes to occur until DDR2 and the new PCI to come around

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

An Epiphany?

[bold]I wouldn’t expect any massive changes to occur until DDR2 and the new PCI express to come around[/bold]

I can't wait for the fall, for PCI express, DDR2 on track. faster processors and more 64 bit, low latency dual channel without exact match requirements (maybe you’ll be able to use larger sticks). Then wait a couple of months! Buy late (over clock) if you’re strapped and then tweak.

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

In every dialogue and discourse, we must be able to say to those who take offence, "Of what do you complain?"

Pensees Section III: of the Necessity of the Wager[/small]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  20. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Starting to see alot of Notebooks coming out in 64bit. This would be good if Intel got there act together and finally release a comercial 64bit. Then we would see Windows OS that can actually use 64bit to the fullest.