1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thermal cooling paste for AMD Sempron 2400+?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hodab, Oct 23, 2004.

1. hodab

hodab Guest

Does AMD Sempron 2400+ need a thermal cooling paste to be applied, or its heatsink already has it? I have bought one and I can see that a rather soft material covers the bottem of the heatsink. Help me.SOS

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

What you describe sounds like an OEM thermal pad. If the pad is present don't put paste on heatsink or processor. If you bought 'Retail Box',there should be instructions regarding installation. Be carefull not to scratch the pad!

GOOD LUCK!

3. hodab

hodab Guest

well, the instruction says:" Thermal interface material is required for all AMD processors...". and " Use only the heatsink/fan provided....".
    And as I said there is a soft layer under the heatsink, 1*1 cm. I applied a little thermal paste on the processor and put the heatsink on it. And now you say this. I am a little bit confused. Help me. What should I do? I have bought this:
    AMD Sempron - Socket A - 2400+ (Box) , I don't know if it is "retail box". Waiting for your reply.

4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

5. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Also watch the tutorial on Thermal Pad or Paste.

If your heatsink has something that looks like the thermal patch in the video then you don't need paste!
    Thats why I stick to Intel--they are to the point and specific in their instructions!

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Don't get all wound up if you did put paste and pad together. The CPU wont blow up, it just won't dissapate heat through the heatsink as well as it should.

Get back to me when you are sure you have pad or not...

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if you got a soft material on bottom of heatsink then you don't need paste on the heatsink as that stuff is the paste but more solid

8. hodab

hodab Guest

I have done it. Do I need to remove the paste I applied to the CPU? If I do not, what happens?

9. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey hodab!

Like I said before, the double thermal stuff will not allow heat to be drawn away from the processor as well as either paste OR the pad.
    Since it's a new build and you want it to last I would do it again.

Just like the tutorial says, the pad can't be used repeatedly.
    If you remove the heatsink you must clean the old thermal pad and paste off the processor and the heatsink. The pad is tricky to scrape off-DON'T USE METAL. Use a credit card or such and take great care not to scuff the heatsink. Use denatured (minerals removed) high grade alcohol to remove the residue.

You know how to apply the paste, plus you have the tutorials so I'll stop here.

GOOD LUCK!

10. hodab

hodab Guest

So you mean that I remove the thermal pad from the heatsink and just use a new thermal paste application to the CPU? Can I not just clean the thermal pad and use it instead? I have'nt used it with an On-computer. waiting...

11. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

If you have NOT mounted the heatsink to the processor using the clip on the motherboard then you can clean the paste off the processor and you will be fine!!!! If there is some paste on the heatsink, wipe it off without disturbing the pad and you'll be in business!!!!!