1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about buying a 16x DVD burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by tafkam, Nov 21, 2004.

1. tafkam

tafkam Guest

Hey all, it has been a while since I bought any PC hardware, but prices are good enough now I want to get an internal DVD burner. I see good prices on the Liteons but is it worth a few extra bucks to get a Plextor? I have a Plextor CDRW and have been very happy with it and understand it is one of the better brands for burners. Any thoughts or are the Liteons good too? Thanks!

Oh here are the models I am thinking about, the Liteon is SOHW1633s and the Plextor is 716A

2. tafkam

tafkam Guest

I see now that the Plextor 16x may have some problems. I am seeing a couple of similar 16x dual layers on Pricewatch, the NEC 8500 and a Pioneer model (I think a 08) any advice or are these both pretty decent. Leaning towards the NEC I could get it for 71 bucks, shipped and all. Pioneer is a few bucks more but I don't know if it is worth it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

3. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

Im not sure on the other ones, but i currently have 2, Pioneer 108's and they work perfect and i havnt had a problem what so ever. I havnt tried burning a Dual-Layer disc on it as the blanks are waaaaay to expensive at the moment.

Plextor is suppose to be a pretty good brand, but personally i wouldnt have a clue, havnt bought or used one before.

CJC

4. tafkam

tafkam Guest

Thanks for the info. The Plextors are suppossed to be really good but this new one I don't know. I appreciate your experience with the Pioneer anyone have anything to say about the NEC 8500 compared to this?

5. dbennion

dbennion Member

Well take a look at the latest BenQ .. has the best reviews I have seen for a 16X burner. I recently purchased both a BenQ and a Sony (710?). I have three players. The BenQ burned anything I threw at it .. -R/RW and +R/RW and all my players read them. The Sony burned everything, but one of my players baulked about 50% of the time trying to read a +R disk.

By the way, the Sony burned a 4X Kodak at very nearly an 8X speed.

Both are dual-layer. The BenQ writes 16X both +R and -R whereas the Sony writes 16X +R but only 8X -R. Big deal.

I'd recommend the BenQ.

6. tafkam

tafkam Guest

Thanks for the info I will check that one out also.