1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This forum is my last hope.Someone please help!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mrleftnut, Mar 16, 2005.

1. mrleftnut

mrleftnut Member

I built my own computer last week. I used an AMD 3500+, VNF4 Ultra ZENITH VE mobo, and a cool case and a harddrive that i already had. Well the first problem i ran into was that my old computer used a different kind of memory so i couldnt swap memory with my old computer. Therefore, my new computer has no memory. second, there were no hookups on my mobo for my monitor so i had to use my old card. Third, the power supply uses a 20 pin connector and my mobo uses a 24 pin connector. I tried plugging it in anyway and it would just make a short ee that was kind of gravly(not real clear and clean). Well naturaly i thought that the powersupply was the problem, so i ordered an adapter for it. Well the adapter got here today and i used it and guess what?! It still wont boot. My power supply is 420 Watts by the way. If anyone has any ideas about what could be wrong, please dont hessitate to post them. ANY help will be much appreciated. For the mean time, my lifeless computer will continue to just sit on my desk and mock me for sinking close to 500 dollars into it(thats a lot for a 16 year old that only works weekends).

2. mrleftnut

mrleftnut Member

Well the 4 pin power connector was in backwards. When i fixed that, everything came on. The only problem now is that it wont pick up the monitor. Does it have anything to do with me not having memory or is it just because im using an old display card?

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

mrleftnut

If I am reading this right, you are saying that you have no memory installed on your motherboard? Is that correct?

You need memory in order to do a proper boot, otherwise your machine will not post.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  4. mrleftnut

mrleftnut Member

I read that somewhere else last night so i installed some cheap memory thats compatable with my mobo today and it still wont pick up the monitor and if its passing the post or not i dont know. im not sure if its supposed to beep or not because my dad has a newish computer and it doesnt beep when it boots up.

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

6. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I'm not sure what your mobo does, but mine beeps once to signify a successful POST. If you're getting no beeps, I can only imagine something is definitely wrong.

Usually even with the most crucial PC components missing or damaged the mobo will still give some type of beeping.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Have you got a device on the motherboard (buzzer) or indeed the internal speaker (of the case) connected to the motherboard, this is used to provide the beeps?

Some memory (even though compatible) may have to be adjusted in the CMOS, however if you can't access the CMOS on the monitor then you cannot adjust it...........

Are you sure your motherboard is 'seated' correctly in on the fixing posts in the case, as sometimes the post can be shorting some tracks out and this can cause 'no display to the monitor'.

When I build a pc, I always use one stick of RAM that is the minimum requirements, ie if it is rated for PC2100/PC2700/PC3200, then I would insert a 128Mb stick of PC2100 just for test purposes............to make sure everything is singing from the same hymn sheet........

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=318

Link to MB. It shows a built in Speaker.

Why not take it out of the case, hook up the PSU, one stick of memory, your HDD but one other question.

What is your OLD graphics card, how old and make and model?

Edit about beeping:

My Asus and SoYo MB's don't beep unless there is a problem.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005