1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is KILLING me

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by KaitouAce, Feb 1, 2005.

1. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

Ok so I've been working at this all night and the best answer I can find is that it's normal to get stuck here. I, like a million others, cannot get my system to recognize a connection to the viper. So far, I've tried 4 computers. One, a '99 gateway, claimed to start the flash, and the progress bar started, but immediately failed and stopped recognizing again. There HAS to be a reason for this. All connections good. No random solder. Ribbon correct direction. System on. LPT matches with hex addy. I doubt the chip/flasher is bad. When I power up, black screen. If i remove the chip, it boots normally. Any ideas?

2. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

Ok if you have the viper and have successfully flashed your viper, can you post what kind of pc (if it's a brand name) and also the motherboard? I'm trying to find a pattern here, so any info will help. Thanks.

3. Razhyell

Razhyell Member

I got the ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard.
    Succesfully flashed, but had to connect my programmer directly to my pc. Didn't work when I had a cable between my programmer and pc.

4. Helltick

Helltick Member

This is what I did...I had to remove the two screws on programmer, the metal sheild comes off too.This was so I could plug directly in the back of pc.The chip was NOT connected to GC at any time during flash.Fire up the loader and select "File" then "load bios.." If you select"read" or "compare" when blank it gives you not connected error. Just select write and it should go!
    Goodluck!

5. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

I successfully flashed the chip finally. i had to use my old K62 400MHz ALi Gateway PC from '99. it requires some wiggling, but it seems i can make that flash stably as the comparison works too. however, i still just get a blank screen with flasher and ribbon cable connected and off, connected and on OR disconnected completely. any ideas? Like I said, the chip seems to have flashed fine, since it can compare and find no errors between the chip BIOS and the .3 BIOS on HDD, I just don't get anything on the screen and no monkey noise when holding Z. any ideas would be great. thanks!

6. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

also, if i disconnect the chip completely, leaving only the wires, i get the gamecube screen where it goes if there's no game or the lid is open.

7. Helltick

Helltick Member

Hmm. thats not good, If it flashed fine with cobra03 and you say the chip is installed correct...means two things bad bios or bad chip. Your aware there was a shipment of bad chips?

8. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

unless that shipment was sent out yesterday i don't think it's me... i got mine yesterday.

9. Helltick

Helltick Member

It was a shipment with chips that were'nt compatibe with programmer,there is a number stamped on each...

programmer #

1. 0450
    2. 0447
    3. 0447
    4. 0450

Viper #

1. 0447
    2. 0447
    3. 0446
    4. 0447

Oh and what size is your bios and where did you get it? There's a decrypted one floating around that does'nt work.(128K)

10. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

0448 on programmer and 04 is all it says on the chip. my bios is like 53k or something. came from ps2ownz on efnet.
    anyway, i reflashed with .04 and i still get nothing on the screen. i have noticed i have to jiggle the plug connecting the gc wires to the chip to get it to flash. like i said though, my main confusion is wondering why i would get a black screen even with chip off... i mean, if i disconnect the chip from the wire plug, the gc works as normal but if it's there i get nothing... i'm starting to question my soldering (which is odd for me).

11. YM2151

YM2151 Member

You said all connections good, but what about the bridge? Did you do the bridge or are you using a BBA which simulates the effect of the bridge?

12. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

i made the bridge. i followed the standard instructions to a "T" so i know the solders are correct, but i'm double-checking them anyway. i read a post that said you can get a blank screen if your connection with the yellow wire is poor, so i redid that and there's no change.

also, my programmer is 448 but my chip is 447. i see that's in your list of bad chips, right?

13. Helltick

Helltick Member

Even if you had a Dol.101 console you should atleast see the cobra sreen as opposed to a black one.

Look under your console...is it dol.001 or dol.101?

Regardless try this...Get the cobra02 bios and flash that to your chip, once flashed and still connected to your printer port, flash it again with cobra03 bios.

I know the above seems like a waste of time...however this HAS worked for people.

From the numbers you posted I believe your chip IS compatible to your programmer!

If you have trouble finding the above mentioned bios...google maxconsole and look at gamecube hardware section...They are both there!

Goodluck! and keep us posted.

14. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

having trouble finding 02 bios and i can't access bit torrent or p2p servers... anybody wanna help me with that?

15. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

Closest I can find is a bios 2 decrypted...
    also my ngc is DOL001.
    if someone can supply me with the real 2 bios lemme know. thanks.

16. Helltick

Helltick Member

:)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  17. Helltick

Helltick Member

:)

18. Helltick

Helltick Member

;)

19. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

thanks for the help. turns out version 4 worked. on the 4th time i checked my solder job, i noticed i had soldered 1 position to the left. i changed that and now it's all ok. Humble Pie is delicious when served with victory! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

20. Helltick

Helltick Member

Good news...i DELETED the avobe links now!