1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPG Problem - Help, please!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by lugnut, Jan 17, 2004.

1. lugnut

lugnut Member

Well, I've tried asking at vcdhelp.com, but nobody's bothered to respond, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

Here's the deal:

Up until the other day, I've ripped probably 100 DVDs to VCD following the same procedure and haven't had a single problem. I rip with SmartRipper, assemble with DVD2AVI, load in TMPG.

The other day, I was in the middle of an encoding job when my PC's power supply decided to crap out, causing the system to lose power. After getting things back up and running, I tried to start the project again and ran into the problem that continues to plague me.

At any given point in the encoding process, the thing may crash and give a "Read Error in dvd2avi.vfp" message. Usually the system begins slowing down before this happens, i.e., TMPG begins encoding very slowly and there is very little hard disk activity. However, this system slowdown doesn't seem to ever happen unless TMPG is open, so I don't think it's just something amiss with the PC.

This has happened on at least five different movies, usually never in the same place twice. The most recent time it did this, it had made it to probably 70-ish percent, but I don't know what the error message was because it just shut down the whole PC.

I've deleted and reinstalled both TMPG and DVD2AVI more times than I care to count, tried using different versions of both, and have even gone as far as to scour the registry for any traces of it to clear them out before a reinstall. I'm convinced the problem lies solely with TMPG and not with DVD2AVI, since it happens with other, non-D2V files too (except then, the read error is in tmpgenc.d2v).

I've defragged, I've virus-scanned, I've adjusted the priority settings, nothing's worked. I read somewhere that these read errors can sometimes be caused by faulty RAM, but after using the RAM testing program recommended at the site, everything came up okay. Nothing happens in the Event Log when these crashes occur, either.

I've Googled around enough to tell that I'm not the only person this has happened to, but unfortunately, if the other folks have ever figured out their problem, they didn't post the answer. It just doesn't make sense, especially since everything worked beautifully up until this point.

If it helps, my system is an Athlon XP+ 2000 with 512mb RAM running XP Home.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm practically losing sleep over this, it's become a mission to figure out what the hell's causing it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Have you tried to Re-install windows From Scratch?? This may be the Only way to fix whatever the Problem is because the problem isn"t a Bug in tmpgenc or every one would have the same problem so it is a problem with your System and Tmpgenc not geting allong for some reason ,You never Know there could have been some File corruption when the Power Failed, so you might be better off starting From Scratch....Cheers

3. alleng1

alleng1 Guest

Hi lugnut,

I don't know if this will help or not as I'm not that familur with your O.S. or the software, but it sounds like your power supply is going bad. Or possibly your heatsink fan on the processor is going bad.

If its your power supply it might not have enough power for the constant process of burning anything. If the fan on your processor is going bad it would cause it to overheat and shut down the system so as to prevent damage to it.

Just a thought you might want to check out.

alleng1

4. lugnut

lugnut Member

Well, amazingly, I think it's working. Although I'll be damned if I understand why this would make a difference.

On a whim, I decided to move DVD2AVI to the same directory as TMPGEnc (the whole program, that is, not just dvd2avi.vfp). I've only done one movie so far after doing this, so I'm hesitant to say it's totally fixed just yet, but that one went just fine.

DVD2AVI was always in a separate directory before this problem started, so I have no idea why moving it to the same directory as TMPG would make any difference whatsoever, but it seems to have.

Thanks for the responses, I might still need you guys yet :)

(By the way, yeah, my power supply had malfunctioned the day that happened. The fan had stopped spinning at some time or another and caused it to overheat.)

5. alleng1

alleng1 Guest

That's good news lugnut,but did you replace your power supply? You didn't say whether you did or not. If you didn't than I would suggest you do so. It could fail again and damage your system.

I hope you have no more problems and things are working good again.

alleng1