1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R6252

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by cougar128, Oct 5, 2004.

1. cougar128

cougar128 Member

I have been having real problems with my DVD drive as of late. It is a Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R6252 which is found in many HP and Compaq notebooks. It is a DVD+R/RW burner. It is not recognizing many of my DVD+R backed-up movies, including ones made on this burner itself. The same disks play perfectly on every other player/computer I have tried them in. I have tested a few different brands of disks and have gotten the same results. Of two different movies burned to the same brand of disks, only one may work. No specific brand has anywhere near 100% compatibility it seems. The DVDs that don't work are simply not acknowledged by the drive, as if no disk is in it.

Also, the majority of the time it can't recognize blank disks in order to burn movies. Again, I've tried a few different brands to no avail. I've called HP about a hundred times and I get a the runaround each time. I'm looking for some type of firmware or driver update (I began with firmware version 1A11 and upgraded to 1A13 with no improvement). If anyone has this drive or knows anything that could be of any help, please let me know.

You can read the very detailed accounts of others that have been having the same problems here:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=24727&start=0

I just thought that someone here might know something more, or be able to shed some light on the reasons behind this drive's poor performance.
    Thanks.

2. chgobehr

chgobehr Member

I was working on a friends R3000 series laptop and had a problem burning DVD+R's after a long Online chat session I got a link to a new firmware. My friend applied it, and it helped. Not sure what revision it is but check it out.

[bold]Please download the firmware update from:
    http://www.geocities.com/hpnotebooks/SP28709.ZIP

Please do not click the link. Copy it and paste it[/bold]

-- Brian