1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba SD 2550 DVD doesn't work on my TV

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by levp1, Dec 22, 2003.

1. levp1

levp1 Member

Hi.

first, i warn you, english is not my native language and i don't know it very well.

now, i bought Toshiba sd 2550 DVD and as the headline says it dosen't work on my TV which is also made by Toshiba, i don't know the exact model but it has "Bomba, MultiSystem" on it.
    anyway, i followed the instructions and connected all of the cabels to the right places, i don't really know what connection i used, but i think it's RCA or something like that.
    I tried to watch a CD which i know that works because i used the same CD on a dvd from the same model at the store and it worked perfectly.

I looked for the dvd in that section on the TV settings that you choose which station is broadcasted on each channel and i couldent find it, i even pluged the TV out of it's connection to Cable and still i couldent find it.

what shuld i do?

NOTE: My TV is PAL.

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya levp1,

your english is GOOD, well done.

Your problem.

connect the dvd player to the tv using SCART to AV1 (use socket labelled AV1 on the back of the tv; if AV1 is used by your cable then use AV2), with the tv switched on, when you switch on the dvd player the tv SHOULD automatically select the recently switched on device on the AV as the input.

if it does not automatically select AV, then use the remote control to select it (the dvd player does NOT put out a signal that can be found on a normal tv channel).

if you cannot get a SCART lead, then try an S-VIDEO lead into the front socket, you will have to select the front socket using the remote.

Hope this helps...

Have Fun..._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  3. levp1

levp1 Member

Thanks. i succeded operating the DVD, all i shuld of done is to press a button on the TV's remote.

But still i have some problems, i burned a SVCD which it's first resulution was 4:3 and now it's on 16:9 so it's looks real bad, how can i fix it?
    I also burned a VCD and when it plays it the top part of the TV is black and on the bottom part, part of the picture is missing, it's like it moved a little down, the original video was 4:3 and on the DVD it still was shown as 4:3 so thats not the problem, and also the picture in this VCD was flickering (i don't think it's spelled right..).
    but another VCD i played was working very well so it's probally an encoding problem, but i can't be sure because i didn't encode the VCD that worked.
    anyway, i encoded the VCD with the script here:

http://dvdripping-guid.berlios.de/Divx-to-VCD_en.html

lev.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya levp1,

glad you got your player working with the tv.

now, about your SVCD problems.

I assume you are using one of the Linux variants as your O/S (as the link you provide shows a linux script).

Unless you are very capable with Linux, or are willing to devote a lot of time and work to getting it right, you are going to have a lot of disappointment before you succeed.

Possible solutions are:

install WINE (WINdows Emulator) or similar under linux, then use windows tools.

dual-boot your system with Windows O/S (suggest Win2000).

The reason for this is: ALMOST EVERYONE on these forums uses Windo$e and all the advice you will get is Windo$e based, VERY FEW LINUX users here, sorry.

I suggest you post your problem with SVCD in the VCD/SVCD forum on this site, but bear in mind what I have said above.

Have Fun...

5. levp1

levp1 Member

thanks.

i will dual boot with WindowsXP as soon as i'll have some free GB's.
    In windows, will i be able to burn SVCD/VCD's so they will work properly?
    if yes, with which apps?

6. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya levp1,

in Windo$e I suggest the following:

DVDDecrypter and/or SmartRipper (ripping DVD's)
    IFOEdit (very useful general purpose VOB/IFO tool)
    DVD2One (compression)
    TMPGEnc (processing files to MPEG1 & MPEG2 etc)
    DVD2AVI (frameserver)
    TMPG Author (basic but good DVD authoring tool)
    NERO (for creating/burning VCD & SVCD)
    POWER DVD (for VCD/SVCD/DVD playback & test on PC)
    DVD Region-Free (overcomes region codes on DVD's)

Everyone has their favourites, other people will tell you of others, each has their good points & bad points.

Try each recommendation & build a method that works for you, all I can say.

Have Fun...

7. drchips

drchips Active member

ignore this post, d*mn net is slow & it double-posted.

Grrrr!!!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003