1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total Crash during Windows Update.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bdodge59, Dec 17, 2007.

1. morguex

morguex Guest

Try unplugging everything except your h/d and MOBO and see if anything happens. How old is the board anyway?

Maybe you already did this, but check the board for popped capicators.

Do you have a friend who would let you try your h/d in his computer, just to see if thats still working?
    Good luck.

2. bdodge59

bdodge59 Member

I did disconnect everything other then the MB. Then shut down and connected one HD. Still nothing other then the Fan running. The Power light turns on but nothing from the HD activity light. I will connect the HD to my other PC tonight.

How do you check for popped capicators?

It appears that there is no power getting to some parts of the MB. But after installing a new PSU with not positive results other then a bad MD, I am lost.

Thanks.

3. bdodge59

bdodge59 Member

How old is the board anyway?

Approx. 1.5 years.

4. bdodge59

bdodge59 Member

Let me update what happened last night after installing the new PSU. There was only one thing that changed. With the new PSU after turning the power off the Power Light would Flash approx. every 2 seconds about 8-10 times then go out.

5. morguex

morguex Guest

If i'm not mistaken a popped capacitor will look swollen on top (rounded) instead of flat.
    It's hard to be 100 percent accurate without seeing these things, but I think you probably have a dead or almost dead MOBO.

Do you have a local computer shop you can take the computer to, so they can test the MOBO?
    I don;t want to say for sure your MOBO is dead, would hate to see you go buy one and find out thats not the issue.
    Good Luck

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the can shaped silver topped are the capacitors. if they are domed not flat topped then you have a problem. if there is some brown stuff on the top of the capacitor then you have a problem.

7. OhCrap

OhCrap Guest

I still say check your ram. My computer had identical symptoms. The cpu fan would run but the computer wouldn't enter into the bios and I didn't have any video signal at all. Computers do weird things when components fail I would try everything.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A failed POST can be caused by ANY component in the PC, and I've seen it happen for pretty much any component too. Video card, CPU, Power supply, Hard disk, DVD drive, RAM, Motherboard, and even network card. The only things I haven't seen cause an issue have been Sound cards and electromechanical things such as case fans.