1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transcoding DVDs for the Creative Zen?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by sar840t2, Dec 25, 2007.

1. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

We have two new Creative Zens in the household, and it's my job to transcode some DVDs for playback on them (on an SD card).

I have tried several bitrates and resolutions in Nero Recode, but in each case the resulting mp4 file will not play on the Zen (it can play MP3 files from the cards so I know it's not a problem with the card). The mp4 files are able to be played on Nero Showtime, so it's just the Zen having problems with them.

Creative says the Zen supports the following - "MJPEG, WMV9 and (with transcoding - MPEG1 and 2, MPEG4-SP, DivX 4 and 5 and XviD)". I can't tell whether "Nero Digital" is MPEG4-SP, or some variant of MPEG-4.

I'd really like to get this working with Nero if possible. Any suggestions on what settings I should use in Nero Recode?

Failing that, suggestions for other tools?

Thanks ... Mike

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

3. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Thanks Gwendolyn, however I already saw that one, and since it's for CloneDVD I didn't read it (I would like to avoid buying any more software, especially something so single-purposed, and IMO pretty expensive).

Nero seemed like a good choice for this (since it allows you to preview the video and select titles). Is "Nero Digital" some home-brewed codec rather than MPEG4-SP and I should stop trying to use Nero for this?

Mike

4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I believe you can try CloneDVD free for 21 days...worth trying.

5. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Thanks. According to a 2-year old post at Doom9.org, Nero Digital does not include simple profile, so I don't think Nero's going to do it for me unless something has changed since then.

This being the Nero forum, is there anyone else familiar with Nero that can confirm I am barking up the wrong tree trying to get Nero to do MPEG-4 SP?

I'd like to find something cheaper than $50 to do this though, given how infrequently I will be doing it. (Additionally Slysoft are switching to the Euro next Tuesday and effectively increasing their prices by 40% according to their web site)

Mike

6. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I can confirm you are 'barking up the wrong tree' w/ Nero & the Zen.
    I have the Zen W and I've tried several options and all a no go.

I mainly just put downloaded avi's on it - love the drag and drop but for the dvd backups I used CloneMobile and the program that came w/ the Zen - Media Explorer.

7. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Woof, thanks binkie7 and Gwendolin.

I tried CloneDVD Mobile last night and it is indeed a very capable tool, so I will probably be purchasing it during their pre-switch-to-Euro-pricing sale.

Too bad about Nero though. With just a small amount of effort they could add a huge amount of functionality to Recode.

8. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Not a problem sar840t2
    I agree. Several of us (a Nero thing I participate in) have asked Nero to add this profile in Recode but so far to no avail. They have profiles for the iPod and PSP which work great but not for the other 'bigger' media players.

9. locheil

locheil Member

The problem seems to be with the audio within the MP4 recode file but this can be changed to straightforward mp3 audio...
    I use nero recode 2, then the resulting file I pass through Mp4Cam2Avi. Result MP4 in AVI out.... very quick!
    i can't remember the site I downloaded from, just google it.

Regards.