1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tried installing DVD Drive myself- PROBLEMS....

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by colin72, Mar 4, 2005.

1. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks again Saugmon :)

Yes, I left out Nero under the Free section. I'll add it now as an edit.

Not a coffee issue this time, instead it was my three Westies saying; “its time for our Saturday walk so get off that darn PC right now!”

Also, I've got to get ready and split from the house again, but this time for a while so good luck to all!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  2. colin72

colin72 Member

I switched the Drives as suggested. As before the switch, the Device Mgr still showed:

NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A
    AXV CD/DVD-ROM
    TEAC CD-W54E

I then removed them, restarted and they were still there.

I tried to burn data onto a DVD at 2.4x speed using CopytoDVD (I have 10 GB of space on my HD).

As it did the first time I tried this (but before switching drives), it started to burn and then the computer locked up.

Colin- 0
    Coasters- 3

I don't know if this means anything but in the details of CopytoDVD while burning it said: "Warning: Optimal Power Calibration Failed. Code 062900 (unit attention, Power on or Bus Device reset occurred). After it showed that message, it did begin to burn so I don't know if it means anything or not.

When I've tried to burn, I am connected to the internet (DSL)- but I don't think that would make a difference. Nothing else is running in the background.

Any ideas where to go from here?

(By the way, I am using Maxell DVD+Rs)

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Is it failing during the lead-in phase, or after the actual burn?
    Look at that disc for the slight different color if it actually burned. If it didn't actually burn, the media code may not be registered with your firmware.

I burn a lot of those maxell +4x's and they should code as ricohjpn-01,pretty good.

Do you have any +rw's to practice with until your we can get your burner to successfully burn a dvd?

Try un-installing copytodvd completely and re-install it. It may be like nero and gets those little ticks in it.

4. colin72

colin72 Member

It's freezing up during the actual burn. This time it did get a bit further than my other 2 attempts.

I did some searching online for the CopytoDVD message, "Warning: Optimal Power Calibration Failed..." and found that there may be a conflict with CopytoDVD and other burning software.

I also have Easy CD creator and Nero 5.5 on my computer. So, I just uninstalled both (I used the clean tool for Nero).

No, I don't have any RW discs. Stupid me. I'm going to try burning again now. If it doesn't work I should probably go out and buy some RWs as you suggested.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

This thread is getting very long. I forgot you are trying to burn files. What format are these files? like mpeg/jpeg/avi/xvid/etc.

Converting files other than iso and vob files are out of my league.

Lets get back to basics. Can you remove that teac cd rom,and axv drives? Leave your nec 3520 and jumper it to set for secondary master.

Do you have any dvd movies that we can try to get you to burn?

Can you then try to burn an audio cd and make sure it's ok?

We need to find out if that nec will work.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I'm about to leave the house so you guys want me to bring you back something for lunch?!?!? <G>

Don't forget about going on Microsoft’s website or search here for the fix to remove Easy CD creator since that might be the major problem here. Remember it does not remove itself very well. Here is a link from Roxio.com about their removal method.

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/ecddvdc/ee6000061.jhtml

I’ll be back in time for dinner call also. :)

7. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Member

Scubabud,..
    How does the Nerorecode2 differ from the regular Nero? I have a trial version of Nero Platinum, and it just performed pretty well,...I didn't get the menus I wanted, and not sure what I did wrong. I was trying to get rid of the extras, and keep the menus,...Must have done it backwards,....I used the Reauthor feature, and reduced the total file size to 100% compresion, and the copy seems to look great,....

GRCRY,....>>--->

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

GRCRYSTYK

Update-Package 2

NeroVision Express 3
    Nero Recode 2
    Nero ShowTime 2
    Nero PhotoSnap
    Nero MediaHome

As you can see, its part of Package 2 and is almost a twin to DVD Shrink, maybe because the creator of Shrink wrote the program for Nero Recode2. But of course it does not have a Decryptor built in.

The menus are actually the chapters without the fancy screens. When you push the menu button on your remote, you will see something like Chapters 1-27. You would need to arrow through them to see what they are about. But the nice thing is that most movies will then fit almost completely on a DVD5 without the need for much compression, if any.

9. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Member

Scubabud,...
    Sounds good. I take it then that the menus and all for Nero Recode2 are very similar to Shrink?, as well as Recode2 will burn, and Shrink doesn't,...
    I have a trial of Anydvd right now as well. I loaded it to give 1 Click Copy a try. It seemed to work very well,...but didn't leave you with much control,...

>>>--->

10. lalabear

lalabear Member

hey everyone -
    i'm obviously in a similar boat as other newbies as far as dvd-r set up goes. I too just purchased the NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A from new egg. Installed it and am a) either doing something wrong or b) finding some serious incompatability. I bought this along with the verbatim dvd-rs from new egg. I assumed the dvd-r would be recognized without any real problem. When I put a blank in, and try to explore the dvd-r or use software to initiate a burn, i get the message "D:/ is not accessable. Incorrect function". It reads music cds fine and acknowledged a dvd movie without any trouble. So, my question is - does this have to do with the hardware and how i've got it set up or is there in fact a possibility of compatability issues between these DVD-rs and the NEC burner? Please, please help! I'm going stir crazy.

thx,
    sara

11. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Member

lalabear,..
    What all does you system consist of, and how do you have it set up? Do you ahve the needed software to work with for copying your DVD's? Ie,..AnyDVD, Shrink, Decryptor?

>>>--->