1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Trojan.peed" from opening email attachment...

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by JessLyn, Apr 15, 2007.

1. JessLyn

JessLyn Guest

My husband who is very conscious of spyware, trojans and viruses and is careful about attachments, accidentally opened an email that put a trojan on his computer. Bit Defender caught it, it was the Trojan.peed swf and some other one. Anyway, BitDefender would put up a small window saying it was "blocked" which we thought meant it would cause no problems but when my husband tried to run ad aware after that it wouldn't work. Ad Aware would freeze up and he'd have hit CTRL/ALT/DEL to get out of it. Also, it was in the temporary internet files. I could find NOTHING online about this trojan but I did find in Bit Defender's site how it infects the computer and that BitDefender can remove it, but if it was removed why was it still causing problems?

Anyway, my husband got desperate so he asked me to reformat the PC. Now this is a year old Dell Dimension and I really didn't want to mess with it but I did. I reinstalled Windows XP yesterday using the Dell CD but while it deleted programs on the HD it didn't delete files, cause there were still files on the HD which couldn't be deleted that were still there (these were file folders that he had once had documents in but moved them and has never been able to delete the file folder). Anyway, I reinstalled the Windows, then had to go and install the drivers. Did I know what I was doing? Partly...I had watched others do this and I catch on but look folks I am no computer guru, I work full time in academics and study history in college in the evenings, what the heck do I know about the internal workings of PC? I am not dumb but this stuff is really for people who know.

Anyway, after all that work, this morning my husband ran adaware and still had problems and damn if Bit Defender's window didn't pop up again and show that it had been blocked.

Wasted time yesterday on my part reinstalling windows. I'm taking it to work tomorrow and having our computer guys wipe everything out and start over. Yes, DH has his data saved on his external hard drive.

So my question is, why can't I find much on this trojan.peed and what did I not do yesterday which prevented the machine from being totally reformatted?

Thanks, Jess

2. Fredil

Fredil Regular member

Usually, you format the partition and re-install Windows. Many trojans can "hide" themselves from antivirus programs (how they do it is past me, as I'm not a virus designer). Also, although Ad-Aware is a fairly good scanner, it does not usually remove viruses or trojans effectively (once, when I had a W32 virus that could be removed in 5 minutes with SmitFraudFix, it took 30 mins to scan and the scan completely screwed up). Many new viruses are made constantly (to replace old ones?), and often there is not much information. I will try to find some info on this trojan.peed.

Of course, at age 13, I'm no expert, but trust my guidance if you will.

Important edit: Aha.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007