1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to chop small scene from DVD and converting to AVI

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Rahuja, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Rahuja

Rahuja Member

I have read several threads regarding chopping scenes from DVDs and then converting them to AVI format (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/108963), but have been completely unsuccesful in my own attempts. Let me first describe my goal and then I will explain the errors I encountered.

I recently had old home movies converted to DVD. I want to share some of these memorable moments with family members far away in other countries. Instead of sending large chunks of these home movies, I wanted to edit them into short 30 second or 1 minute clips. Based on what I researched, I had to first rip the contents of the DVD onto my hard drive and then use Chopper XP to edit the clips. However, when I tried opening a specific chapter in Chopper XP it would only play a few seconds of the clip even though it was 4 minutes long and it skipped portions. I then tried a manual extract, but it chopped out the wrong bits of the movie even after I specified where to start and stop the clip. What could I be doing wrong?

I still tried to convert this wrong clip to AVI format using DVD2AVI, but the file size saved turned out to be 0.

I can't tell you how many different programs I have installed over the weekend to make this work. Can someone please offer me some advice on what you did to edit portions of a dvd and then save to AVI format?

Thanks much!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Why don"t you load the Whole Vob file into DVD2AVI and then useing the Mark in and Mark out buttons to select the scene you want to convert and then convert it...

You can also do the same thing with "Virtual-Dub-Mpeg-2" and convert the scene you want to AVI...

Or you can Load the Vob into DVD2AVI and select the scene you want to convert and then go to "file" to "Save project"a dn save it as a D2V Project File and then Load the D2V project file into Tmpgenc and then go to "File" to "Output as " to AVI" and select your Codec settings and save it...

There are many ways to do this most of them very simple...

Cheers