1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to connect Blu-ray using HDMI to DVI converter

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Vagabond2, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Vagabond2

Vagabond2 Member

I have a Philips LCD HD Ready TV - 32PF5320/10 which has a DVI connection but no HDMI connection, but supports HDCP.
    I bought a Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S350 and connected it using audio/video jacks, which works fine.
    In order to improve the picture quality I got a Blu-Ray HDMI cable and a HDMI to DVI converter plug.
    Although I have everything hooked up I can't get any picture through the HDMI cable, even though the Blu-Ray player has flagged that there is a HDMI device attached (HDMI appears on the display). I'm aware that sound doesn't travel through the HDMI DVI converter, so have my audio jacks plugged in and can hear the sound, just no picture.
    This is wrecking my head, but I'm sure there is a simple explanation.
    Any ideas?

2. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

Your TV may not accept video from one input and audio from another. Being that DVI doesn't carry sound, though, I would hope it would.

Have you tried disconnecting the audio and seeing if that gets you picture?

Also, you may want to try connecting the audio to different inputs. Maybe the TV does accept audio and video from different inputs, but only on certain sets of inputs.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  3. Vagabond2

Vagabond2 Member

I gave up on the HDMI in the end (managed to return it to the shop) and went with a component cable through the DVI instead which works great.

4. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

Glad it worked out for ya. Having your PC on a big screen is nice.