1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tut: Renaming an XBE Title

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by kslice917, Jun 28, 2007.

1. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

Before I begin, I will state the following:

You must have a Softmodded Xbox & You must be able to FTP to it before you can do anything listed below!

For tutorials on how to softmod your xbox and FTP to it, please look at the bottom of this tutorial.
    =======================================================================================
    Q. What does renaming an xbe title do?

A. By renaming an xbe title, you can change how it is read by your xbox. For those who have xbox games copied onto their xbox hard drive, it shows the name, or title, of that game. Using this method, you change how that title is read.

This is mostly used for Halo 2's Popular Map Packs - Killtrocity 1 & 2. Since Killtrocity shows up on the xbox hard drive as "Halo 2" you can use this method to make it show up as, "Halo 2 - Killtrocity V1" or whatever you may wish.

Now to start the tutorial!
    =======================================================================================
    Files you will need:

xISO -
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

XBE Title Changer (XTC) -
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, first thing's first, let's extract all the files into a well organized folder which, for now, will be called "Title Changer"
    [​IMG]
    Ok, now you need to open your FTP client, and FTP to your xbox:
    [​IMG]
    Now, depending on whether the .xbe you want to rename is on your xbox Hard Drive, or on disk will determine where you want to go next.

Remember: Only following one of the below two methods depending on where your .xbe is located!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If your .xbe is on a disk, insert the disk into your Xbox, wait for about 5-10 seconds, and open the /D/ Directory (if you are using FileZilla, you need to open the /D/ Directory and hit the refresh button, or press F5):
    [​IMG]
    Now you want to take the "default.xbe" file and copy it to your "Title Changer" folder:
    [​IMG]
    You may exit your FTP client for now.
    If your .xbe is on your xbox hard drive, then you want to go to your /E/Games/Halo 2/ Directory (or any other game directory you want):
    [​IMG]
    Now you want to take the "default.xbe" file and copy it to your "Title Changer" folder:
    [​IMG]
    You may exit your FTP client for now.
    Now comes the exiting part, it will fly by now.

First thing's first, open up your "Title Changer" folder and it should look exactly like this:
    [​IMG]
    Now you want to open xISO:
    [​IMG]
    "Oh my god, it's in Spanish; I can't read it!!!"

Relax, I'll help you out here too. Download the English .enu file below:

xISO English .enu File -
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2
    Now place the "xISO.enu" file in your "Title Changer" folder:
    [​IMG]
    Now simply close and re-open xISO:
    [​IMG]
    "Ohh my god! Now it's in English, how did he do that?!?!?"
    Ok, in xISO, you want to click on "Tools", then you want to click on "Make a xISO":
    [​IMG]

Ok, now here's comes a whole bunch of steps in one easy-to-follow animation.

First you will see a screen asking you to select a folder you want to make an ISO from. You want to select your "Title Changer" folder. Then you need to place and name the ISO that will be created (the name of the ISO does not matter). It will then process the files (really fast process). It will tell you it is done, just click "ok" and "close". This explains it all, please watch:
    [​IMG]
    Ok, now find where you saved the ISO to your computer, and copy it into the "Title Changer" folder. Your "Title Changer" folder should now look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Congratulations, you are half way there!
    Now you want to open "XTC":
    [​IMG]
    Now click on "File" and then click on "Select Files":
    [​IMG]
    It will now ask you to open the ISO. Locate the ISO in your "Title Changer" folder and select "Open":
    [​IMG]
    You will now see the "Current Title String" which is what the title of your .xbe file is now:
    [​IMG]
    And you will see "New Title String" which is the title you are changing your .xbe file to:
    [​IMG]
    Now click on the Box that says "Halo 2" below the "New Title String" box. Now you should be able to edit the text inside that box. Name it what you wish. When you are done, click "File" and then click "Commit Changes...". It will then confirm if you want to change the title, click "ok".:
    [​IMG]
    After you have clicked "OK" to commit changes, you're "Current Title String" should change to match your "New Title String":
    [​IMG]
    You can now close XTC:
    [​IMG]
    Here comes a huge amount of steps all in one!

Ok, now you need to open xISO. Click on "File" and then click on "Abrir" (Abrir means open in spanish). Find the ISO in your "Title Changer" folder. Select it and select "Open". Now you will see the "default.xbe" file (along with xISO and XTC). Now right-click the "default.xbe" file and select "Extract File/Folder" (the lettering will be in bold). Now find your "Title Changer" folder again, click "OK". Now it will say "End of Extraction", again, click "OK". It will automatically over-wright your previous "default.xbe" file. You can not close xISO.

And of course, the animation:
    [​IMG]
    Well, we're 9/10 of the way there!

As there were two steps listed above, there are two different ones listed below depending on whether you got your .xbe file from you xbox hard drive or from a disk.
    If you got your .xbe file from your xbox hard drive, you need to re-open you FTP client, and FTP to your xbox:
    [​IMG]
    Now, go to your /E/Games/Halo 2/ Directory (or any other game directory you want):
    [​IMG]
    Now just transfer the new "default.xbe" file over to your xbox hard drive and over-wright the previous one. Simply reboot your xbox, and now your done!

Now, when you go to play the game by either the Launch Menu > Game or by loading your game through Xored Trainer Launcher, it will now show up as the new name you have chosen for it!
    If you pulled the .xbe file off of a disk and you want to make a new disk then you must make a modified disk using that "default.xbe" file instead of the original one. I currently do not have a tutorial on making your own modified disk; but keep watching as I should have it sometime soon.
    Important: Do not change the name of the "default.xbe" file. If you do this, your xbox will not read the file and it will not show up properly!

You can, if you want, change the folder directory from /E/Games/Halo 2/ to whatever you want for sake of FTP'ing. Changing the name of this folder will not have any effect!
    This tutorial only took me about 4 hours to write, so let me know what you think. I will add in FAQ's later.

And of course, don't steal my stuff! You can use any information on this page, just so long as you credit me! Yes, this includes files.
    Read my sig for a link to my other tutorials!

2. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

Sorry for the "bump", but I really think a lot of people would find this to be very useful as many new versions of Halo 2 have come out.

I hope I get at least one reply from someone...

3. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

This is a great tutorial but you dont have to FTP to make such changes if you use UnleashX. UnleashX allows you to do all of this by using the file explorer features or other dashes that have a file explorer function. This should be quite useful for those who are running Evox, great tutorial.

4. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

Yes, this was intended for EvoX, as that's the dash I use. Also, are you sure that you can change the internal name of an .xbe with UnleashX?