1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How to play backups w/o mod chip, only Max Drive Pro Memcard

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by brucedlx, Jan 22, 2006.

1. SiK520

SiK520 Guest

Ok so let me make sure I have this all straight the SD Media Launcher 1GB for GameCube/Wii (http://us.codejunkies.com/shop/product.asp?c=GB&cr=GBP&cs=%A3&r=1&l=1&ProdID=389) lets you run homebrew/EMU/ISO Backups burned to miniDVD on the gamecube. Is it just a boot to new bios and then switch the miniDVD out? Or is it more involved? Thanks to the clarification =)

2. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

read here

3. SiK520

SiK520 Guest

Thats exactly the NFO I needed. Sorry I missed it well searching but thanks for linking it for me.

4. drchink

drchink Member

can u play games imported from europe and japan?

5. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

using GCos you can choose which mode to run in, pal or ntsc

6. drchink

drchink Member

just another question, can i store games on the memory card or do i hav to burn them onto a mini dvd?

7. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

you need to burn them to mini dvd

8. mustnap

mustnap Member

not sure whether this is the right thread or not

by any chance, anyone here has the software for max drive pro V1.1?? I want to borrow my friend's Max Drive Pro, but he lost his disc. and he said that he need the V1.1 software to transfer the save games. So is there any way that anyone could help me with this?

9. koppit

koppit Member

I suggest ebay, I found some on there but minus the hardware :)

10. Stonerman

Stonerman Guest

Yeah Media Laucher

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007
  11. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

12. semontrax

semontrax Member

I was just hoping to get an answer here if no-one replies to the thread I started on the main page, sorry to take up so much screen space but my GC is about to be kicked to bits if I can't get it working properly soon.

I have a MaxDrive Pro and a bunch of backed up GC games.

I've also followed everything in the sticky subjects with no real luck, the GCOS wouldn't even recognise the games, then I fiddled with the laser POT setting, everything from 130 to 350 ohms (the original POT setting when I first opened the GC was 182).

GCOS started recognising the copied games when I set the laser from 145 to 200. (Though why it didn't work originally at 182 I have no idea)

I have managed to get a few of the backed up games to go further than the loading screen (the furthest I have got is with Burnout2, I get passed the first loading screens, the menus and the stage select, it loads up the game but as soon as I see the car on the road, just before I actually get to control it, I get errored. very annoying)

I've dvdinfo'd the backups I have and they all seem fine. They are all the right size on the minidvd's and according to these forums I should be weel on my way playing the buggers, but no the console is adamant to not let me play any backed up games.

I have an 06 version of the GC (I think, the loading screen on the GCOS says 06) and original games play perfectly fine no matter what laser setting the console is at.

The most widespread performance was at around 145 ohms, that is, most games were recognised at this setting, though I have put it back up to 170 to be on the safe side.

The two games which have thıs far worked the best are metroid prime2 and burnout 2, though no actual gameplay has taken place :)

I know this has been discussed for years on this forum, and I've been trying the tips and directions on the various forums, it just hasn't worked! There seem to be too many different variables, and it seems there is no exact universal working POT setting.

Please someone with a new idea, heeeelp!!!

Thanks

13. george911

george911 Member

hey evrybody, i wanted knw if it was possible to remove the gamecube cover/top so that dvd-r's will fit in the gamecube instead of buying a replacement top?

please, its a yes or no question

14. Zbaker

Zbaker Member

Yeah man it will work long as you have the stuff to play backups. but if you take the top if it will fit and will play. long as you make the little botton in the back pushed down so it thinks theres a lid closed.

15. satoris

satoris Member

Not to be a braggart, but when I first started with my MDP/GC softmod, I just got lucky, so I don't know much about POT adjustments or other variables people have been playing with. But what I HAVE heard, is that media can make the difference.

Example: I purchased a stack of Ridata mini-dvds, and burnt several games which basically play just like the real thing. No lag, no errors, no DREs, no problems on my GC EVER. (I tried them on another GC which probably just needed a POT adjust, and they still played, but DRE would come up after a few min.)

After the Ridatas ran out, I got a stack of Memorex mini-dvds and tried them. While they still work most of the time, I do get a large lag as the game is loading up, and I got a random reset on one of the games the other day.

So obviously, media can make a difference. So if you haven't already, try coughing up a little extra money for some Ridata brand minis.

Also, when burning the games, make sure you have a good quality DVD burner. If you don't have one, try to find a friend who has a good one or something. And on that note, also try different speed settings. Start with whatever the disks are rated at, and adjust from there - usually down. (The first game I tried to burn was at 4x on my Toshiba brand burner, and it just made a coaster. But when I tried the same game at 2x, I got a perfect copy.)

Also, if all else fails, you could try cleaning the lens on your GC *shrugs*

So those are my ideas. In fact, you've probably tried them already, but I figured I'd at least try to contribute.

Good luck, and happy modding!

(P.S. If nothing works, perhaps you can find a cheap used GC on an internet auction site, or at a gaming store that will work better)

16. semontrax

semontrax Member

thanks alot, also I have some ridisk discs. are they the same as riadata, and any suggestions for good quality not too expensive internal dvd writers?

thanks again

17. george911

george911 Member

Hey everyone i just bought a max memory card, i dont think its pro but will it still work with this tut? heres a picture of it.

I bought it from amazon

and if it will will work, does anyone know where i can download the pc software and the gc software (for the gamecube software ill just burn it to a mini dvd)

thanks for listenin
    please reply a.s.a.p i wanna get it up and running.
    thanks again

18. george911

george911 Member

EDIT: just click the "i bought it from amazon link" to see the memory card i bought.

19. george911

george911 Member

EDIT: ok i found the pc software now is there any way i can download and burn the gamecube software and burn it?

20. satoris

satoris Member

I've heard that GC disk for the Max Drive Pro can't be burned and used, since it has to be a legit disk?? I haven't tried it myself.

Heh...it would probably work if you had a modchip, but what's the point?