1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How to play backups w/o mod chip, only Max Drive Pro Memcard

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by brucedlx, Jan 22, 2006.

1. j9990

j9990 Guest

Yay! My MAX Drive Pro just came by UPS!

I don't know what's up with people saying it takes months or even weeks, I got mine in less than a week. I ordered [bold]late[/bold] at night on Sunday (2/18/2006) and it came early this morning on 2/24/2006.

FYI, this topic is the whole reason I bought a MAX Drive Pro - I'm sure you've sent a lot of traffic their way already :p.

2. beermunky

beermunky Member

Yeah my max drive pro came in 3 days (in the UK)

I followed this great tutorial to the dot, but with some orange tuffdisc mini DVD-Rs i bought on ebay.

Problems:
    Firstly my the max drive software couldnt see the max drive but i downloaded the newest version from the web and it worked. Secondly When Gcos was trying to boot backups it couldnt read the discs.

Solution!:
    I didn't really want to open up my cube to change the POT and i was a bit worried the discs might not be compatable with the cube at all anyway. Then I decided to try exactly the same thing in a friends cube and it worked 100% to boot backups on his cube(3/3 so far). So obviously i've bribed my friend into swapping gamecubes with me & everyones happy!

3. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

I wish I affiliated w/ datel before writing this tutorial :(

Oh well I'm glad everyone is enjoying it!

4. j9990

j9990 Guest

DANG... I followed your tutorial exactly, but GCoS says it can't read it. What do I do? :(

5. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

I said this before:

but you may wanna try it on another (frd/brother/sisters) gc and make sure it's not your burner/media before you do a POT adjustment. I am willing to walk you through POT adjustment as well if you need help.

6. j9990

j9990 Guest

Better start walking me through pot adjustment. My DVD burner won't let me burn at different speeds for some reason.

"- Upgrading the firmware for their DVD Drive's has reduced the amount of DRE that some people have encouterer"

Are you referring upgrading GameCube's drive?

7. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

no for your DVDburner itself.

8. jacckk

jacckk Guest

bruce i ordered the max drive pro on feb 27th and i still have not recieve the order yet up to date how long did it take for you to get yours in the mail?

9. j9990

j9990 Guest

Okay, I did a check and found out that my DVD Burner in fact needed an upgrade (I checked the info and it even said the update was for a problem with DVD-R's!). Did the update and burnt it, but it still didn't work :(. Burnt at 2x speed, only way it would let me. Does it need to burn at 4x? Using Nero Burning ROM v6.

10. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

jackkk: I ordered mine and ~3 weeks later I got it.

j9990: Before you attempt a POT adjustment, take your MDPro and your burned games to a frds/relatives house and try it on their gamecube. If it works on theirs, you know it's your gamecube. Try swapping gamecubes with them if they allow. If not, POT adjustment will be necessary, and I believe you need to purchase a multimeter to accomplish this.

11. vinnie322

vinnie322 Member

is there a way to use my MD Pro upload my GC games to my PC because i have a BBA

12. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

ummm not that I know. Than again, I'm not too familiar with the BBA or ripping games. I've always downloaded my games perfectly pre-ripped by professional groups. Sorry can't be of much help on the subject.

13. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

Also, here is a wonderful little FAQ/Tutorial written by the goons at ModThatCube regarding DRE (Disc Read Errors) That some of you may be having. I will update the first post as well with this link.

http://modthatcube.pxn-os.org/content/dre.htm

14. NJJackals

NJJackals Member

brucedlx-

They should hae already seen that one page back. :)

-NJJ

15. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

true but ppl have a tendancy not to read anything but posts related to their own issues :) I've reposted things many times in this thread.

16. NJJackals

NJJackals Member

tru. btw, I've had some intermittent errors that have become more regular recently. About 5 out of 10 times when I turn on my Gamecube with the Max Drive Pro card in memory slot A and the Max Drive Pro disc in my Gamecube, I receive a message like "Hardware read error. Please reinsert the max drive pro card". I have even received an all blank white screen twice and twice received a "red screen of death" which I can only equate to the blue screen of death that you might get in a Windows operating system, a red background with a bunch of hex numbers strewn across the screen. Even when it seemingly works I have games that hang on an "accessing saved games. Please do not touch the memory card or power button" screen. The game freezes and I need to reboot my gamecube. To rule out the possibility of a corrupt game save, I transferred the saved game to another memory card I have (moved the GCOS 1.5 dol to anther memory card as well). I had no issues with any games using another one of my memory cards. I've sent a message to codejunkies support but I have not received a response yet. Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  17. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

That is more than likely a problem w/ the memory card itself. When you contact codejunkies/datel don't tell them about GcoS. Tell them that you have some gamesaves that crash when you try to use the MDPro but work w/ a normal memory card. They will have to help you out.

18. NJJackals

NJJackals Member

no reason to mention gcos. It happens when I boot my GC.

19. badmonkey

badmonkey Member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  20. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

Lovely bit of video there. I will put it on a faster host(s) and add it to the first post. Although you coulda cropped out the "Hmm, it just resetted, never done that before" bit ;)