1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial: making mp3 ringtones

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by arcanix, Jun 26, 2005.

1. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

blahh!! so for the silly question but im stuck on the audacity part where i have to delete the end of the song except for 15 sec or so. after i highlight the section to be deleted, how do i delete it?? ive tried the cut button and the delete button on my keyboard but nothing seems to work?????

2. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Just hit del, it should work. If not, then you have something really messed up in your computer. And check that you have the right track selected. It shouldn't be an issue, since you just selected the part, but just in case.

3. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

OK i left the first 15 seconds of the song and then i clicked and highlighted the rest of the song. their is no delete button on the audacity program only a cut button and it does nothing. when i hit delete on my keyboard the entire section stays and nothing happens?? is their another delete button that im not seeing??

4. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Weird. Del-button works for me, then there's edit->delete. You could also try pressing ctrl+k (shortcut for delete on audacity).

5. blackie1

blackie1 Regular member

ok i restarted my computer and then it finally let me delete those sections, boy that was weird. anyways ive got a usable rightone on my desktop now, how do i use the MPT to tranfer it into my phone? ive got the newest version and finnally got my new razr v3c to be recognized, now what do i do?

6. test333

test333 Guest

Hey,

Check out http://www.mytinyphone.com for creating mp3 ringtones!
    Really cool tool, you can make ringtones online and do not have to download anything

Artur

7. jlavah

jlavah Regular member

sweetness!

8. Ade007

Ade007 Member

I'm really new at this so please bare with me. I would like to make some tunes for my v300, how would I go about doing this? Am I supposed to send my files to my mobile email address or am I getting it all wrong?

Thanks

9. WiteWizrd

WiteWizrd Regular member

Ade007 - the first page on this thread shows you how to "make" the ringtone. getting it to your phone is a different matter, you need a data cable (cable between phone and pc)

10. skinnyy21

skinnyy21 Guest

hi right see if you can sort this one out?lol i make ringtones and bluetooth them to my motorola v620 no probs there.my problem is that some tones i can bluetooth on to other people but some tones come up as locked on my phone and there is no 'move' or 'copy' option on the tools setting.any ideas on how to make them so i can bluetooth them?

11. mplaster

mplaster Guest

hi folks. okay, my question is not about how to "make" the mp3 files (im an audio engineer, so i certainly have all the software for croppin & creating the files), and its not how to GET them to the phone, as i have sucessfully liked the phone to my comp and transferred files...
    but rather how the heck do i assign the mp3 ive transferred as the ring tone.

(ps im a new cel-user, so forgive me if i come off as too basic sounding.)

anyhow, i have a Moto v360, and it seems it places mp3's on the memory card, which i think is separate from the phone's internal drive. the mp3's show up in my mp3 area (along with the presets) but they do NOT show up when i go into the "Customize Ringstyles" page.

is there some issue with the phone not recognizing my custom files? i assume the file type is okay; i've tried mp3s, .wav, etc at various bit rates, sample rates and mono/stereo files. still NONE of them show up in the phone's customize ringtone area...

so what do i do to get them from the removable memory card (where the computer transfers them to) to actually INSIDE the phone's memory so that they show up in the customize preferences.

any help would be great. thanks guys.

m

12. ksizzle

ksizzle Guest

thanks, i tried the mytinyphone site and it works suprisingly well, but i ran into a snag. When i upload a song now and highlight and try to crop it, it crops from the begining to my end point, but i only have a small portion highlighted... any thoughts? And i have also been having trouble on how to properly install Lame it gives me the same message as the other guys when i hit encode, i extracted the zip files, what else do i need? Anybody have any other good editors besides audacity as well?

13. MAVR1X

MAVR1X Member

Okay, not sure if someone has already brought up something on this phone, but I have a Samsung SPH-a920, which uses .wav for ringtones...and no matter what i do, I end up with really shitty sound static filled ringtones once i put them on my phone. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  14. supertone

supertone Member

Hey

You can create a customized ringtone/wallpaper without installing any software

1. Go to the following site
    www.2mobo.com

2. Click the link, "create"

3. Follow the link, "create realtone"/"create wallpaper",, and then use the web based tool to crop your file and create a ringtone/wallpaper.

4. You will receive text message with a link to download.

Note: you need a data plan to download.

-Supertone

15. rcox1963

rcox1963 Member

I have a Motorola ROKR E1 and a Powebook G4 running the must current version of Mac OS X (10.4.6). I used Xingtone to create 3 ringtones on my phone and they work fine but I have found that the more I use the bluetooth with my mac to send/receive info to/from my phone the less I use the WAP services for which I am paying about $10 per month. At this point I am only using WAP to receive emails from Xingtone (and I hardly even use Xingtone as you can tell). I want to make ringtones on my mac and then transfer them to my phone via bluetooth, eliminate the need to use Xingtone and turn over WAP and save myself $120 a year. I tried to create a ringtone on my Mac and then use bluetooth to move the file to my ROKR and assign it as a ringtone. As I am posting here you may have already guess that I had no luck with that.

My goal is to create a ringtone using free, simple tools - the less the better. If I can make them using stuff that I comes with my mac like iTunes even better.

Here is what happened:

When I tried to make my first ringtone without Xingtone Everything seemed to have worked fine, the file is on my phone in the audio folder on my phone (not on the SIM card). When I go into My MEdia/Sounds I can see the audio file. If I click on it I can play it I can hear it fine. The problem is when I attemp to assign it as a ringtone (either to all calls or as a Ringer ID) it does not play. Instead, when I go to Settings/Audio/LoudDetail and select the file name from the list of sounds it vibrates 5 times and then does nothing more. No music at all.

I created the audio file by dragging an mp3 file from iTunes into QuickTime and then trimming it down to a ten second snippet of music. I then exported that as a movie file and used a program called "Convert To MP3" which converts .mov audio files into /mp3 files (at 196 kbps). I then dragged the 10 second mp3 file back into iTunes and converted it a custom mp3 setting:

Stereo Bit Rate= 56 kbps
    No Variable Bit Rate Encoding
    Sample Rate=22.050 khz
    Channels=Stereo
    Stereo Mode=Joint Stereo
    Smart Coding Adjustments=checked
    Filter Frequency Below 10 Hz=checked

Once the audio file was made I used bluetooth to connect the phone to my Powerbook and used the browse button to home up the "audio" folder. I dragged/dropped the mp3 file into the audio folder next to the three other mp3 ringtones I created using Xingtone. Once the file transfer was complete I opened up My MEdia/Sounds, selected the file, selected edit and selected "Apply as Ringtone".

When I found that attempting to actually assign this ringtone to all incoming calls or to a specific caller using a Ringer ID resulted in no music but 5 vibrations instead I tried powercycling the phone, deleteing the file from the phone and copying it over again and everything else I could think to do.

Is there some special setting I need to use to make an mp3 play as a ringtone on a Motorola ROKR? Why would Xingtone created mp3 work and not mine? Is there something wrong with the way I converted the audio into a smaller file/file size?

16. Merlin777

Merlin777 Member

OK... got the "Audacity" program. Checked out the link you suggested.

I have been successful in opening a mp3 in Audacity.
    Have been able to clip out the portion of the song I want as a ringtone.
    Exported it back to a MP3 file.
    Made the MP3 into a MID file.
    Bluetoothed the MID file from my laptop to my Treo650.
    Am able to play the MID file in Treo's Media Player.

Here's my question:
    HOW do I get the MID file to show up in the Treo's list of available tones that can be assigned to a phone contact? (So that THAT ringtone will ring when that specific caller calls )

Thanks.

17. Jamaal10

Jamaal10 Regular member

To start off, very nice guide!

My question is, do you know how to convert the end-result MP3 to a MIDI? I tried it just as an MP3, but don't get any sound. I have a Motorola v265, if that helps.

*Sorry, I'm a total n00b when it comes to this!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  18. mygods

mygods Member

19. Jamaal10

Jamaal10 Regular member

Thanks a lot mygods!

Will give that program a shot.

20. mygods

mygods Member

u r welcome, and as I know, v265 can support MP3 ringtones. maybe your ringtone file is too large. try cut or compress it small than 50kb-100kb.
    Hope this is helpful.