1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV out - Works then goes blank

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Tarkers, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Tarkers

Tarkers Member

I only have a 4 meg on-borad vid card in my comp - so i borrowed my mates old 8 meg so i could use the TV out feature to watch my movies.
    I use Windows XP Home, and it works fine until it gets to the logon screen then it jus goes black.(it works fine on the startup bit though - where it displays the XP logo)
    I have been told by my mate that i borrowed the vid card from that startup uses 640x480 resolutionand that my 1024x768 is whats probably doin it.
    Also i have read articles about changeing the tv to primay dislay but couldnt find a way to do it - its a SiS 8 meg by the way - if that helps.
    My one fear is that its XP cause if it is then tv outs a big waste of time : (._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Corolla By Name, Not By Nature ![/small]

2. cdrfreak

cdrfreak Member

Had the exact same problem. Temporary solution was to disconnect the PC monitor from the video card, and boot up windows from the TV. Permanent solution was updating the video drivers from the net, which allowed true video switching to either the PC monitor, or TV.

The reason for the problem is most newer video cards with TV out will not output a signal to both the PC monitor and TV. If a PC monitor is detected, it will send the video signal there. If the PC monitor is disconnected, then the signal will keep on the TV output.

Hope this helps!

3. Tarkers

Tarkers Member

Thx mate, but the video card i got is a very old 8meg thing that i couldnt find any new drivers for. I guess its time to update !