1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tv safe zone and resolution

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by panther10, Apr 25, 2007.

1. panther10

panther10 Member

Hello,

I was wondering if somebody could help me with a question I have, I make a dvd using ROXIO easy media creator 9 and use a video size of 720x480 9mb/s when I use this video size all of the picture does not show on the television. Part of the left and right of the video are cut off. When I use the resolution of 352x480 the left and right side is not cut off and it fits the tv screen. When I use 352x480 the quality is not as good I notice especially when I play the dvd on the computer, when I play the dvd I make on the television it looks not as bad. What is the proper video size to use for televisions so that no part is cut off? Is there anything I can do to improve quality and still have the videos fit the tv screen?

Thank you!

2. attar

attar Senior member

The 720 x 480 approximates the 4:3 ratio of a standard TV.
    Other numbers which do not keep to this ratio will show different aspects on the TV screen and may cause a stretching or squeezing appearance.
    Is this a one time problem or ongoing with different source files?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  3. panther10

panther10 Member

I always have this problem with all source files where parts of the video on the left and right are cut off on the tv screen unless I use a smaller resolution. Should I always use the 4:3 ratio? What is the 16:9 ratio for? what size do most commercially made dvds use? does the bitrate matter that much for quality?

4. attar

attar Senior member

I can't say anything about Roxio but you might want to try this simple application to see if the problem persists.

Assuming your original file is an AVI, MPEG, or VOB:

Convert AVI to VOB with VSO DivX2DVD
    http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe

In the 'Aspect' setting, if your tv is a standard television,choose 4:3 (only choose 16:9 if you have a wide angle set).
    In 'Standard', choose NTSC (unless you are in Europe, where you would choose PAL).
    The dvd compliant files are output to a folder on your hard drive.
    By telling it your TV aspect, the resulting files should fit your screen.
    A 4:3 movie will fill the screen and a 16:9 movie will be in a letterbox so that you can see all of it without distorting the picture.
    After conversion, click on one of the VOB files to see that things are in sync etc.
    If your satisfied with the results then you can burn the output to DVD.
    I use DVD Shrink in combination with DVD Decrypter to burn the disks.These programs are proven reliable, produce consistent output and are free!!