1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tv shows

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by security, May 25, 2003.

1. security

security Member

I WANT TO BURN A WEEKLY TV SHOW ONTO A CDRW
    I HAVE A WINFAST TV CAPTURE CARD. WHAT DO I SAVE THE FILE INTO ? IE...MPEG1 MPEG2 DVD SVD AVI ? ETC... I WANT TO BE ABLE TO PLAY IT BACK ON A STANDARD CD ROM DRIVE ON A COMPUTER WITH NO DVD DRIVE

2. Anttz

Anttz Member

You can choose whichever format you like and think suits you best. If you're going to watch it on other computers too, you must make sure the computer has the codec installed.

3. security

security Member

can you tell me more ? the other computer is a low end non dvd playing machine. i want to be able to to put at least an hour tv show on a 650/cdrw a two hour show would be great . what format fits best for this ??? avi??. the other computer has windows media 9 series on it nothing more. ive played around with settings and have had some small victories but some only have a small window that will not expand to full screen

4. commwiz

commwiz Guest

mpg is better than .avi, because mpg is compressed. dvd is out because you want to play it on a low end pc. You can convert them to vcd, so if you install a vcd player (free at many download sites) they'll play.
    They also play on many stand alone dvd players. To get a larger screen size you may want to change the display settings to a lower res to get a bigger picture.

5. J.Price

J.Price Member

I think AVI is a better solution because you would actually be able to fit a couple to several "hour" length shows on a standard CD-RW depending on the quality chosen; besides I am not so impressed with mpg especially with the improvements in DivX & XViD coding and with mp3 sound compression instead of the voluminous choice of AC3. Hope that helps.

6. security

security Member

thank you both
    i have more questions : first you say i can play o vcd on a regular pc with a cd drive only if i get some software? i was told vcd is out cuz i need a dvd player. also is mpg 1 or 2 better for this? if i use mpg. can i control the quaility of an avi?. thanks again :)

7. J.Price

J.Price Member

security - as far as playing a vcd thru you CD drive you should be able to do so no problem and you can probably use the most recent Windows Media Player if you are desperate. As far as AVI you can dnl a free player at DivX's site and have the codecs to boot. The quality is pretty good and both can be done on older computer with the right software. There are guides for how to burn these things, but you'll have to find them because I am not sure what step is first. Also concerning playback I have noticed that on some older computers that the picture slows down at times when the source comes from the CD drive, I would recommend to temporarily copy the episode to the HD for a smooth playback. Hope this helps.

8. security

security Member

HALF HOUR OF MASH IN AVI WAS 8+ GIGS
    same show in mpeg1 was 300 megs so two half hour or one full hour per disc is ok . if i need a two hour show i can set the tv tuner in tenths of a second so i put the second hour of a two hour show as a seperate show that starts one tenth of a second after the first one stops
    are there any dvd players that play mpegs?

9. commwiz

commwiz Guest

That's why I recommended mpg. Mpeg2 is better quality and would still fit on a cd depending on the compression you choose. No DVD player will play mpgs to date. That sure would save us all a lot of problems.

10. security

security Member

some play windows media formats right?

11. security

security Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2003
  12. awesomejt

awesomejt Member

Ok, it really depends on how much editing you want to so. If you capture the original AVI, you can lots of editing to it without affecting the picture quality. Then down sample to MPEG. This is like WAV vs MP3 (or any lossy compression format). The way MPEG works -- it uses inter-frame compression so several frames dependant upon each other. This is why it is usually not the best to edit MPEG video -- usually your software will need to re-render the entire MPEG clip -- thus adding to more compression and lossy digital artifacting.

If you can, I would record as AVI, edit out the commercials, save new AVI (if you want, you should be able to get good compression using ZIP for storage). Then, downsample to what ever format(s) you want. This is great too, so you can experiment with different formats and quality/compression levels.

I'm doing something like this with movies I snag off TV. I've had good luck with Studio 8 in this fashion.

Enjoy.