1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two DivX codecs?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Enc0de, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Enc0de

Enc0de Member

For some reason, I assme the answer lies in the system's reg. But I have two DivX codecs in Virtual Dub. The true DivX codec has the FourCC Code 'divx'. The other one has a FourCC Code 'yv12'. I did a search (including hidden files) for DivX.dll, and only the real DivX codec came up.

Ok, so the codec is a vidc.yv12, in my Drivers32 fold in the reg. Is this safe to delete? I don't know if it's being used right now.

I'm thinking that the vidc.yv12:divx.dll came from gordon knot. Can anyone verify that?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I believe that the one labelled 'DivX' is a generic MPEG4 codec registered to the system for playback.
    This generic component has been added to the most recent DivX versions.
    The YV12 component provides functionality for encoding in that colour format, which DivX figured a long time ago is the most efficient colourspace for MPEG4 AVI.
    Unless you have an all-consuming desire to free up 400Kb of harddisk space, just leave these things alone & don't fook with them :)
    Note that DivX 5.2.1 is required for SP2 functionality.
    When installing you can select the generic MPEG4 component, and the DivX player, as you see fit.
    I find that with this latest codec (and AC3Filter) I do not require FFDShow at all, and can playback pretty well anything...
    Regards

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If you want you could install the Helix YV12 codec to handle YV12. With the way VfW works though even with the entry removed DivX still should be able to load for YV12. XviD can also handle it by the way.