1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U99 error with Panasonic DMR E55

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by marthaw, Jan 27, 2006.

1. marthaw

marthaw Member

I received a burned disc and popped it in the Panasonic, but it wouldn't play and I got a "U99" message. Disc wouldn't eject, the recorder wouldn't transmit TV channels at all.
    I read the U99 threads here and followed the Panasonic site's recommendations (Power off button for 10 seconds/unplug/wait 1 to 5 minutes/plug back in).
    I got the expected "Self- Check" message but the U99 message appeared as well and again the unit wouldn't eject, play the disc or TV channels.
    I ended up taking the cover off, taking a black plastic top off the actual DVD drive unit and physically removing the disc; after that everything seems OK.

BTW, the disc that caused the problems was a Playo DVD+R. I personally use DVD-R's, but I would swear the Panasonic HAS played some +R discs and, at worst, has messaged that the disc was unplayable. This was the first time the unit ever locked up like this.
    I'm not sure I would advocate opening the unit, but others may become as desperate as I was.

2. howie14w

howie14w Member

That's a new one on me. I have found that the unit usually reads finalized discs as "DVD-Video" and has no problems. I haven't used DVD+R, but my unit has played back DVD-RWs, which it also won't record.

The quirk mine has is that DVD-RAMs recorded on my computer are read by the Panny as "unformatted". No lockups, thank heaven.