1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UDF formatting - drive, app, or media problem?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Merlin666, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Merlin666

Merlin666 Member

I'm not sure if this is a hardware, software or media problem, so I put it in the newbie section. I have a laptop with LG GWA 4040N, a few boxes of mitsumi DVD+RW, and roxio 6. I haven't used any of the discs for a few years and wanted to do some backups, but when I format them with drag-to-disk, all of the unformatted discs report a write error. Discs that I had formatted earlier seem to be fine, and I also burnt a few DVD-Rs recently without problem.

So how can I figure out if:

a) all the discs are faulty (no access to another drive)
    b) the drive if failing, or
    c) the problem is with Roxio.

I am not aware of another UDF formatting tool, but have nero 6, alcohol, imgburn installed, as well as dual boot with ubuntu. Any suggestions?

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Have you tried formatting the disks on another system with a different burner. It may just be your burner dislikes the media. Laptop burners can be very picky sometimes. Have you tried formatting with Nero Burning ROM?

3. Merlin666

Merlin666 Member

I will try to find someone with a dvd burner to give it a try. I have NERO 6 installed and have not found a fomatting option on there, but I tried the erase disc option and it did not work.

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member