1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ultra ata ide controller card(raid 133)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jayder, Aug 10, 2004.

1. jayder

jayder Guest

hello everyone i got a controller card and i need help installing it is a ultra ata ide controller card(raid 133)can someone help me
    thanx
    jay

2. impera

impera Guest

SUP!

well, this kind of cards normally have a self BIOS with it, so that when the PC POSTS, you can actually configure the RAID card also. I have one (unfortunatelly is a built in with the mobo) with a Promise chip. So, normally you can actually enter the RAID bios to arrange your arrays and set it up, as well as to manage your HD's.

Normally, the cards support raid modes 0, 1, 1-0 and so, think u have to read a little about it in order to know how to configure your HD's

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Is it a RAID controller or just a controller? If it like the card that comes with some of the bigger Maxtor drives, that's just a IDE controller, not a RAID controller.

As for installing it: pop it into a free PCI slot and connect IDE devices to it (dont try connecting all your optical drives to it unless you have an idea of what you're doing cuz installing an OS can be a hassle unless you want do it via floppy bootdisks).

Once you start up W2K/WXP/W2K3 installation it will flash a message saying something like press CTRL+F6 or soemthing like that to load 3rd party drivers. If you're using an IDE controller, ignore this. If you're running a RAID controller you'll need to load drivers (if you want to install to one of the drives connected to that RAID card)