1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to figure it out!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dyanne, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Dyanne

Dyanne Guest

Before I ask anything I'll preface with I HAVE read the guides and lots of other users posts but still don't know what went wrong.
    Please excuse my ignorance as I am a mom who is trying to help out her kids and trying to learn this on my own.
    I am so frustrated! I have been at this for hours and am ready to give the Dvd's to my kids for frisbies, please be kind.

I have followed the directions in the guide(Rip any DVDs with RipIt4Me + DVD Shrink + ImgBurn full guide for newbies),to the best of my ability. It appeared that everything had gone smoothly until I opened IMG Burn.
    When I attempted to burn to the blank DVD there was a message that said that there wasn't enough room on the disc.
    Isn't that what DVD Shrink was suppose to take care of?
    I guess I did something wrong but I have no idea what? Can I fix it or do I have to start over?

TIA!
    Dyanne

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Dyanne
    Yes Shrink should have compressed it enuf to fit on the disc. Every once in awhile though a dvd may give it problems.
    Find the folder Shrink saved the dvd too - hover over the folder to get the size or right click>properties. Should be 4.36 gig or less.

Run it thru Shrink again - in Shrink go to 'open files' and open the video_ts folder. if you haven't already uncheck all audio but AC3 5.1.
    Now it should fit on the blank.

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

hello and welcome to AD,

how big is the folder or ISO file that dvd shrink created?
    it has to be under 4.35GB to be able to burn to a SL disk.

what you might have to do is change the output size in dvd shrink to solve you problem(also you only have to use shrink again after you change the size, meaning you dont have to re-rip the dvd) see pic, i personally set it to 4400MB but a lot of members like 4300 just to make sure the its not burning too close to the edge of the disc.
    [​IMG]

also let me recommend that you should use great media like Verbatims or Taiyo Yuden(online) or even sonys, and stay away from the rest

4. Dyanne

Dyanne Guest

Thanks for your replies.

I checked it out and the file is 4.35GB.
    I am attempting to copy to Memorex DVD-R which is one of the few that is compatible with my home DVD player. I'll have to check the paperwork to see what else will work.
    Would it make a difference to change the media?

Is there something else i can try?

Thanks again for your help,
    Dyanne

5. JVC

JVC Active member

I've had that message before, and it turned out that I didn't have enough room on my HD, rather than the disc I was trying to burn. I had too many movies, still in folders, that I hadn't deleted yet. I deleted them, and everything was fine then.

You need enough room for the encoded files to be put in a folder. Then the burner burns them from the folder(HD), to the blank disc. So make sure you have about 10GB of space on your HD.

6. Dyanne

Dyanne Guest

Appreciate your reply JVC,
    the computer is pretty new and has over 100GB free on the HD.

I did notice when I was checking that out that the amount of space available on the DVD I am attempting to write to is 4.38.

In earlier posts it was stated that the file needed to be 4.36 or less, which it is @ 4.35. I'm not sure if I am wording this right but is it possible that the two numbers are too close? Does that make sense? As in, is it cutting it too close?

I certainly have no idea and am beyond frustrated! I hate to let something like this beat me but it's doing a good job.
    I'm still reading guides and trying everyones suggestions.Does anyone know of a specific guide that might help? Although if I haven't tried it I will be surprised.
    A friend said DVD decrypter was really difficult to use for a beginner. Comments?
    Too tired tonight/morning, 1am, hopefully someone else will have suggestions tomorrow.
    Thanks again,
    Dyanne

7. JVC

JVC Active member

DVD Decrypter does have a bit of a learning curve, for beginners. Plus, it won't do newer movies by itself.

Since these are for your kids, you don't need all the menus, previews and extras, do you? You can use DVDFab HD Decrypter. Get it here:
    http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
    It pretty self explanatory. Rip "Main Movie" only. Then use Shrink on files DVD Fab Decrypter made, and burn normally.

Here are step by step guides, and links to software, that may be easier to understand. Check them out and see: http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes...........

8. JeriV

JeriV Guest

Dyanne,

Try using a double layer disc.

9. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Sometimes you run into a disc that is to large to backup on a SL you can shrink it twice it's a little tricky but I've done it Have you tried just the movie only? All the other stuff on the disc takes up a lot of disc space

10. oldslow

oldslow Member

my disney dvd shrink w/dvd43 in background guide ver 1
    I had errors backing up some disney movies i think the error was crc
    when trying to encode the very begining of the movie. i don't use deep analize or aec unless the cropped movie-only compresion is below 80% (pretty much never).
    insert disk shrink will then analize for 3? minutes
    click re-author
    click title 1 (main movie if two titles in that catagory then it's diferent versions of the same movie)
    HERE is where you get an indication if my trick will work. normal movie title 1 should move to the left hand box in about a second. if it takes 5, 10, 15, or whatever seconds then keep reading.
    click the tab above the box on the right that says compression settings.
    uncheck all unwanted lang. etc. and sound keeping only ac3 5.1,
    now for the fun part: just above the preview screen the control on the right says set start/end frames (or something like that) click it. For their copy protection they have messed up the first few seconds of the first chapter so we are going to fix that. do not move the slider or buttons for the start frames yet, as it will shut you down. on the right side there is a pull down menu with chapter 1 change this to 2. that is it. that is the trick. now you can move the slider and/or buttons. just don't move it below 10 seconds into the movie or it's that pesky shut down thingy again. crop the ending credits.
    look at compression if above 80% (more like 90%) then hit backup.
    choose a burning device and hard drive folder then make your back up.
    one last tip: if the player has the option set it to auto re-play. with out menu's and other crap the kids can watch it over and over without messin' with the equiptment or messin' with you.
    hope this helps.

11. Dyanne

Dyanne Guest

Thanks to everyone, I finally figured it out.
    I think I was making it much harder than it needed to be.
    For now everything is going pretty smooth, crossing my fingers, the kids are happy and mom is cool!

Appreciate everyone's help!

12. binkie7

Glad to hear you figured it Dyanne
    What did the trick for you?

13. Dyanne

Dyanne Guest

Actually I was trying to follow a guide that said you would use DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink and then IMG Burn.

After reading and reading and help here and being up till 3am....
    I tried opening the DVD with Shrink, when I clicked backup, in the select target window, I chose ISO image file and burn with DVD Decrypter.
    It does the backup and then Decrypter opens, burns, good to go!

I am sure down the road there will be other problems, like the one I just posted, although these are fairly new movies. For now I am feeling pretty content.

Thanks again to everyone!

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

looks like you've been given enough answers there, it's just that DVD Decrypter won't handle newer films so when you have problems with a newer movie my recommendation for you is the DVDFab HD Decrypter route (which has already been mentioned) as there's no messing about like other methods.
    The simplest method (which i swear by) is just to rip the disc in 'movie only' mode then point DVD Shrink at the files output by DVDFab (obviously not necessary if files are already small enough for a DVD) then burn however you normally would. (bear in mind that if you don't have to shrink the files to fit, you won't be able to burn them with DVD Decrypter or Imgburn as the files won't be in an ISO, so the easiest thing is probably to just use DVD Shribk anyway to backup in ISO mode).

Other than that the thing to beware of with Memorex discs is that you may get a different manufacturers' discs when you buy Memorex, even if you buy the exact same discs next time you buy some. Now this you most likely wouldn't be aware of/care about unless you ran into playback problems, although it's just as possible that you'll have no problems at all, just something to keep in mind..

15. binkie7

Actually you can burn the video_ts folder w/ ImgBurn :)
    Just use the build mode and add it - nice little addition to ImgBurn.

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

oh right, cheers; i haven't used imgburn since it first came out.
    note to self, do a quick google first :)

17. Dyanne

Dyanne Guest

I think that is what I started out trying to do but because I have no idea what I'm doing I couldn't figure out the build mode.
    If I remember right there was a window that popped up that said something like if you don't know what you're doing go read a guide.
    Which I did but ended up even more confused.

I'm learning!

18. binkie7

Yeah LightningUK added it back a few versions. Last version or so he also added the read option - almost like decrypter but no copy protected discs unless running AnyDVD :)

@Dyanne
    You'll get the hang of it in no time. You can always post back w/ any questions too.

19. 321obbig

321obbig Member

Thanks for the info binkie7, i had not used imgburn since the first version.

20. binkie7

Not a problem 321obbig
    You should update it and check out the new features.
    It's all I use for dual layer - I think it handles the layer break better.