1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unanswered prayers

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Guythalas, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Guythalas

Guythalas Member

So, here is the skinny:
    1.3Ghz P4
    512MB RDram
    80 gig space (50 free)
    ---------------------------
    Ok, so after finding out there are very few quality looking simpsons episodes, i decided to create my own, but i've run into several problems:
    Ripping went fine with smart ripper
    DVD2AVI has first set of problems,
    It starts out saying its 80% film, slowly rising until it hits 100%, and then switches over to NTSC 3% and starts rising up...
    Also, throughout the whole intro, it stays at "Progressive", but once the actuall show starts, it starts switching back between Progressive and Interlaced.
    Well, since i didn't watch it for long last time i decided to go through and do it thinking it was progressive.. the movie turned out OK but it still had some problems (BTW, Target file size is 50mb, someone please let me know if this is even practical)
    First, the resolution is fine (320:240 or whatever the common one is) but the cartoon is extremly noisey... is there a way to remove the noise? Also, there are certain scenese where the video just stops. (IE: Bart writing on chalkboard, bell rings he splits.. audio works fine, but you see him writing, and after pause you see him skateboarding).
    Well, here is the part i'm gonna get flammed over, but this is my bitrates and such:
    Due to the small movie size, and the fact that speech is the only real substence of noise, i'm using a 44Khz LAME MP3 (Belive me, sound is fine)
    unfortunaly, i need 50MB.. so the bitrate suffers extremly, 240kbps
    The playback was fine w/o using de-interlace.. and running it with 29FPS(NTSC) rather then 23FPS(Film)... any advice suggestions or comments?

Also, i'm thinking about trying Gordian Knot.. is that advisible?

2. Guythalas

Guythalas Member

Also as a side note...
    When i use 2-pass DivX, first pass goes through fine, and the 2nd pass says "Sorry, minimum bitrate is 2386846kbps, overiding user defaults" and resulting file is 100mb... so i had to switch to one pass... any suggestions on a fix?

3. surly_joe

surly_joe Guest

I use XMPEG to do my encoding. Works like a charm.. I've got a personal archive of over 50 simpsons episodes at 592x448 using this method.

4. Guythalas

Guythalas Member

do you need to use 1 pass? or can you use 2 pass encoding as well? what are your output file sizes usually like?

5. surly_joe

surly_joe Guest

175MB/episode @ 950 kbps, VBR MP3 stereo 96kbps avg. 592x448 resolution (that's what my tv app captures at -- I could do 640x480, but that ends up with these horrible black space around the edges and such).

XMPEG has support for doing two passes at once. Just go to Output Format Options and set your DivX options for encoding there. Then go into Global Project Options, on the second tab just enable "2nd Pass Enabled (for DivX4)" and hit 2nd Pass Plugin Settings. Make sure you are familiar with all the options under Global Project Options and set them accordingly. Then just hit Start Conversion.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2002