1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unlocking V551 with USB Data Cable

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by Hunter007, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

Hey, I just bought a new V551 and a USB data cable. I'd like to use it to transfer pictures, ringtones etc and I've downloaded MPT 3.23. I want to unlock my phone before I do any transferring and I think that when the program starts up, it also indicates that the phone must be UNlocked. If anyone can direct me to software that I can use to unlock my phone, via the USB cable it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Hunter007

2. tonyrep

tonyrep Regular member

unlocking the phone has nothing to do with uploading/ downloading pictures or ringtones,mp3's. It allows you to change sim cards if overseas. mpt will do everything you asked about . start the program and wait till it ask you to install the cable. it will do the rest. (win98 a different story)

3. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

I know what unlocking a phone does, I've done it before with a Siemens M55. I need it to be available to go overseas with. So that when I buy a SIM card in another country, I can just stick it in the phone and it will work. Thanks for your help about the ringtones, wallpapers etc, but does anyone know what software I can use to unlock my phone?

Hunter007

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  4. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

I know that there's been no real answer so far, but I'd like to just update those who can help on the situation. I have tried MPT, I got it to live update-it then proceeds to install it. I get an error message stating that I have a bad registry key. *Note: I got v1.23 from the cd that came with my cable, and the update also came on the cd. I have also tried to download it from the provided links to no avail* I then attempted to use p2kman which didn't even recognize the phone, nor acknowledged a connection status other than "phone not connected". I tried p2ktools as well, with the same outcome. Lastly, I have tried MOBILedit! and found out it did NOT support my phone. I am absoloutley stuck. I used Midway to put a few Java games on my phone, but I want to apply themes, ringtones, wallpapers etc. I still have not solved my unlocking problem, but after reading more of the threads, it seems that there isn't yet an unlocking program and I may have to resort to an online service.

If anyone can help, please do.

Hunter007

5. tonyrep

tonyrep Regular member

in the sticy threads you wll find the mpt as far as unlocking if you have had the phone for 3 months with cingular they will email you the code. there is no software that I know of. do a search to find the email address. read this complete thread for the mpt problem .
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/122174

6. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

Hi, thanks for all your help. Just before you posted I got 3.11h to work. Live update doesn't work, stating there is a bad registry key. I've only had the phone for 3 days, and it's from Roger's Wireless. I'm not sure on how to apply a theme I have downloaded using MPT. Any advice?

Hunter007

7. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

i guess u r using the MPT and u were trying to use the P2Kman or P2Ktools but it says that the fone is not connected,, thats coz u need to install the drivers for the P2K.....

8. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

Ah okay, that was probably it. So far, MPT is working fairly well for me. Is there anything that P2kman or P2Ktools can do more or better then MPT? I tried installing the drivers that came with P2Kman, but it did nothing. Hope you can help me out here mossy.

Hunter007

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  9. tonyrep

tonyrep Regular member

p2k allows you to edit every option on the phone. But you need to do alot of reading on the subject before attempting any edits. there is a new tool out p2k command that does even more but as I stated read all post concerning use before attempting edits.

10. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

Well I have started to edit, following a guide posted by mossy. I've made backups of the files I downloaded to my computer, then I edited one or two and transfered one(gain_table.bin) Now I am trying to upload a ".seem" file to my phone but I dont know if I'm going about it in the right way. The file is 01a8_0001.seem so I typed in 01a8 in the first box, and 0001 in the second and clicked upload. It says its STILL uploading, after quite awhile. Initially I had typed in "01a8" in both boxes, as I had done to put the files on my computer but the uploading status remained the same. Any ideas?

Hunter007

11. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

when that happens to u, means that the edit u did is wrong and not valid for ur fone... make sure u edit it on the right way...

12. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

Thanks, I got past that but now I have another dillema. I've downloaded Windows XP Mobile Blue v5.0 and applied it to my phone. I'd like to get those cool start up and shut down animations to work though. I get the sound when I'm shutting down(no animation), but not when I'm starting up. When I am starting up I get the default hello Moto animation(with sound) followed by the Windows XP animation with no sound. This is getting really tiresome as I've been at this all weekend. Any help is greatly appreciated.

13. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

14. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

Thats the guide I've been using..but no luck, any other ideas?

Hunter007

15. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

i guess thats coz u r using the BT for the startup, if u have the data cable then use it and follow that guide.....

16. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

Well what I have found out is that the Hello Moto splash screen is embedded in the firmware, not the flex, so that can not be changed(as far as I know). Now, I had disabled BT a long time ago, and have been using the USB data cable to transfer files back and forth. Again, I have followed that guide, with no luck.

Hunter007

17. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

what guide??

18. ruger9mm

ruger9mm Member

Hunter, got a small question for you does your Motorola V551 have a usb port on the phone? I just got a new V551 and I don't have one or are you talking about the data port on the bottom of the phone next to the charging port?

Thanks