1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

updating firmware

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Helenb, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Helenb

Helenb Member

Hi all, I am confused. I want to know if I should update the firmware for my burner. Gigabyte Dual gold. when I go to the page it says only do if havinig a problem or this may damage the burner. As I am not haviing a problem shuld I just leave it. Some forums say it should be updated.
    Any Advice appreciated.

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

If you arent having trouble i wouldnt worry about the upgrade just yet.When something does occur worry about it then

andmerr

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes update firmware at own risk! and like andmerr says if its not broke dont fix it!

generally if its a major update like it will burn stuff faster and allow for dual layer burning etc, then i would personnaly go for it!

main makers firmware is usally a click it and it goes in - easy (aslong as you follow the readme instruction to a Tee)

hacked firmware is something different entirly!

4. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Personally, I never had a problem flashing motherboards, CD-R or DVD Burners.

I guess I am lucky because some get into problems.

1) Firmware updates usually fail if for no reason your PC freeze solid, because you are running all sorts of other apps in the background.

2) While you are flashing, you get a power failure. (I am on UPS so a little safer)

3) While flashing, your 3 year old son hits the Power button on your PC :)

4) Trying to flash firmware for the wrong drive, and/or using hack software and hack firmware.

I personnaly like to upgrade to the latest firmware, since if they released it, there must be something new, but HEY that's me, and I'm willing to take the risk.

For most people, if it not broken, don't fix it applies, unless (as mentioned above) they release something major like Dual Support that you didn't have before, new burning speeds etc...

My 2 cents...

5. Helenb

Helenb Member

Thanks all. will leave as is.