1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating software

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by kyle_101, Feb 22, 2005.

1. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

If i dont have any problems when burning dvd's do i still need to update the firmware and stuff like that or does windows updates do that automatically?

2. ozy

ozy Regular member

Updating firmware is a very delicate task because if you flash the wrong firmware your hardware might as well go in the trash. Windows updates is totally different. This updates older software and drivers running on your PC. If you are burning without problems leave the firmware as is. Windows updates I would recommend for security reasons.

3. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Could you explain exactly what firmware is then and when exactly would it have to be upgraded?

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

In a CD/DVD recorder, firmware is the programming instructions contained on a ROM chip within the CD recorder which tell the recorder how to respond to commands issued by software. Some firmware is flash-upgradeable, meaning that you can upgrade the firmware by running a piece of software on the computer attached to the recorder. Other firmware is coded into non-rewriteable chip, so the entire chip must be changed in order to upgrade the firmware.
    You can always look before upgrading what the manufacturer has changed by the upgraded version of firmware ; in some cases it is to alleviate a problem reported by people using the recorder.

5. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Ok thanks thats really helpfull but how do i know if i need to upgrade mine seeing as i have only bought my pc two months ago and when would it next have to be upgraded and i suppose like the old saying goes if it aint broke dont fix it

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

kyle_101

You can look on your manufacturer’s site to see what the latest firmware version is for your burner. Compare that with what is currently on yours and also see what they have added to the new firmware update. It can include more media options so that your burner is more compatible with other media out there on the market, etc. If you have Nero, you can use the Nero Info Tool to see what your firmware version is now.

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You said it -- If it ai'nt broke , dont fix it !!

If you are having problems with it, it's always a good idea to have a look at the Manufacturer's website and see if others have caused him to modify the firmware.

But rule of thumb is like you say -- It's working ~~ no need to scratch your head !

8. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!!

9. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Where exactly can i find the firmware version inside the nero info tool?

10. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

found it