1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Question?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Shado36, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

It was from that "properties" that I was giving you the info. The only thing that is "weird" is it says Intel Celeron 2.69ghz 2.70ghz, is there a reason it would put 2 numbers down? It also says I have 1.49gb of ram so I kinda guess that the ram is not the "issue". So when all is said & done is it most likely that the processor is the 'issue'? If we assume that I guess we also have to try to get the fastest cpu without getting 'silly' on cost. That being said is it worth paying more to perhaps get a chip over 3.0ghz as opposed to a 3.0ghz one ie: would there be much to be gained in performance etc?

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

As far as performance goes, the faster the CPU the faster the performance. You will have to look on those sites I gave you earlier to see what you can find. I'm not sure how fast that particular socket is made. You may want to do what I did and buy a new MBoard along with a processor to get better performance.

3. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

4. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Just noticed thats the wrong pin set!! Brain fade, just got in from an 8hr shift!

5. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

It is the right pin set and it is a 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4. That is quite a bit faster than what you are currently running. I leave the decision to you to make.

7. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Well, yes it is quite a bit faster, I thought that I might as well get the fastest that I could so as to get the "maximum' benefit! Do u think its worth investing in a new fan/heatsink to go with it? I guess that the present heatsink will not fit as its a different processor.

8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Every time I buy a processor it comes with a heatsink fan. To be honest, I could be wrong, but I think that every processor you buy comes with a fan.

9. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

10. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

11. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

My wife has a Intel celeron 2.0 in her pc, is that also going to be a 478?

12. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Putting a processor in a PC is a piece of cake. There is 0 insertion force. Make sure that you have the arrow on the processor facing the arrow on the socket. Now your heatsink fan will come with heatsink paste. Using that past is fine, just make sure to remove the plastic sleeve that covers the paste.

Like I said 0 force. Your processor will slip right in. Do not try to force it. To find out what pin set your wife has right click my computer and select properties. It will tell you the exact name of the processor in the motherboard. Then we do a search for that processor and find out what pin configuration it uses.

Neither one of the links you provided allowed me to see which one you ordered. I am sure that you ordered the right pin configuration.

13. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Thanks, her pc is a home built one but it has a Intel Celeron 2.00ghz 2.02ghz & 1.25ghz of ram, thats all it says. I had to cancel my original order. Firstly they could not supply the fan I wanted (OOS) then they seemed incapable of processing my order so I cancelled it all and have now gone elsewhere. I ordered it this morning and it has now been shippped whereas the other bunch of "monkeys" (lol) had not done anything after 4 days! I will not beordering anything from them again, they suck.....................!

14. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Yeah, I would have to agree with the last comment you made. So when you click properties on my computer it doesn't tell you what kind of celeron processor it is? My machine is home built and it still knows what my processor is. We might be able to figure it out if we know what the MBoard is. The MBoard should have a name and model number on it. We may be able to look that up to find out what kind of pin configuration is needed for it.

15. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

She has an installation cd that has motherboard driver software.It says "Magic Install for Intel/via chipset go2 cd2a if that helps? If thats no good I will get her to download pcwizard and do a scan etc.

16. syxguns

syxguns Active member

No that doesn't help. I need to know the make and model of the motherboard. Normally when you select properties on my computer it tells you what the processor is. Tell her to download that PC Wizard. maybe that will give us the answers we need.

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Shado, what cpu are you getting as possible the motherboard won't post or post properly with it? what is the highest speed the motherboard can take? the wife's is a socket 478 most likely a northwood not prescotte. what is the cpu cache as prescotte is 256k & northwood is 128k?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  18. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

If you want the fastest way to get your motherboard information as well as the CPU/Socket type...

http://www.cpuid.com/

That will tell you all you need to know. No installation required, just unzip to any folder and run the program.

19. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

20. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

I have no idea what the maximum speed that my motherboard can take I am afraid. My motherboard is made by Tri Gem Computers & is a Glendale motherboard, it has an Intel Celeron i845gl (rev b1),a southbridge intel 82801DB (ICH4),bios version 3.24 with PCI Express lonk width x1 max supported x16. I hope this makes sense!