1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgraded from 128 to 256 RAM and still no way to back up DVD

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Peterlips, Apr 9, 2005.

1. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My MOBO is capable of doing 3gig sticks. I just wonder whether I should go for 1.5 gig of top quality memory, or 3 gig of the bargain priced Geil memory. I'm not sure if I would get more perfomance with quantity than quality, or vice-versa. See my dilemma! Which way to go? Brobear you appear most learned about this subject. Your help is indeed most welcome!

Kind regards

Pulsar

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@pulsar - noooo. cheapy memory is money down the drain, just not worth the hassle. :)
    But i'll leave the proper reply to Brobear, just my five pence.
    edit- not saying your memory is cheapy, it's just i haven't come across that brand before..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Geil does have quite a good rep, my gig performs really well, you can clock it, but I prefer to keep my system stable. I'm not a fan of cheapy stuff either! The memory I was referring to was in the link in one of my previous posts. Thanks for the input!

Pulsar

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@zenarrrow,
    The guide is at my website (Link in Signature) look for the one called [bold]Convert AVI to DVD[/bold] Hope that helps you out :)

5. Peterlips

Peterlips Member

Thanks to all who HELPED-My Regards!!

As for Gringle: I admitted I did not know much about Computer's, but I'am trying to LEARN. Now, one thing I do know is "ASS-KICKING", especially for comments like that- Come to West Virginia -Pal I'll show you what I know, then we will talk about" DISTRACTIONS". As I see it GRINGLE, if I could find you and your little comment HIDING behind the TOUGH MAN internet talk, YOU WOULD PRODUCE ALL MY NEEDS FOR MY PC TO BACK-UP DVD's.

To all who helped -THANKS because I'm sure I will be banned from site--Should be the as@#$%#@ who started it, but to let you know guys-- I will buy another 256 RAM and an internal bigger HD-THANKS--See ya--Better look for a new help site!!

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't count on being banned. teach & learn

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@Peterlips - don't be daft !, you've done nothing wrong, especially as you're sorted with a resolution (maybe a few dollars lighter, but hey it's your dollars lol).

Just get yaself back here to help others :)

8. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

9 gigs of free space on your hd is enough to backup 1 dvd at a time. As for dvd shrink needing 11-13gigs of free space, thats a load of crap. You only need 5gigs to get it to work. BTW, i couldn't quite tell what type of dvds your copying, but if its just commerical dvds, your setup should work.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Peterlips, please don't take to heart some of the peoples' posts. We like new members & do not like unhelpful comments, like some do! As you may have seen I questioned one persons reply' They failed to come back with an adequate retort, because they couldn't. I hope that you got some good info from some of the posts.
    I would not lower yourself to some peoples level. I am sure that you are a bigger person than that.

Pulsar.

10. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I didn't think they had electricity in west virgina let alone internet access. Just kiddin' as you can see 99.9% of the people want to help and are happy to help, heck that's why they are hear. .1 % of the others ....well I don't know what to say. What ever you decide don't be intimadated by anyones comments. When I first got here I didn't even know how to open a new folder. I too thought at one point I was gonna get banned but hey I am still here!! ( Spit's my tobaccy in a spittoon, grabs my shotgun to go squirrel huntin')

11. Peterlips

Peterlips Member

Hey Guys,
    West Virginia might have the image as, POOR,REDNECK,2-TEETH,STUPID,RACIST,etc. If you want the truth --ALL OF YOU HAVE A HOME AND A FRIEND IN WV, How many people offer this ? We may not have a beach or a skyscraper, but I promise if you visit our tourist spots (Which I might ADD, are all over this state) You will wish you had a home here. Hell, I've been everywhere ( L.A. to Miami Beach,FL) and yet to meet the finest 2- teeth, sister-loving, WELFARE, 4x4 truck driving,Bingo playin', Get-R-Dun, Dumb-ass bunch of HILLBILLY HEROIN( Oxycodin)users--(HA_HA)----BUT YOU KNOW WHAT???
    You will never meet a finer bunch of people with a BEAUTIFUL state and slow-paced living!! I thank all of you who have supported me so I would not disappear from Afterdawn.com. Today,I made a back-up of more than 12 dvd's and if it were not for you people(EXCLUDING: Gringle) I would still be waiting for info or HELP--Thanks everyone-- I appreciate all help-- Hey, I'm in West Virginia and we just got internet service--DO NOT BLAME ME!!!!HGAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH--Peter

12. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Prat..LOL

gringle

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Pulsar,
    Without going into a lot of detail, 1.5GB RAM is more than enough for most applications. In fact that's a lot more than the capacity of a lot of PCs and about 3 times the norm for current factory PCs. Most of those are coming stock with about 512MB of RAM on the better units. If you're wanting to spend money to purchase 3 1GB modules of high quality RAM, you should be considering a faster CPU along with one of the later mobos and chipsets to utilize it. I'd go with the sensible upgrade and invest the big bucks on a custom build. Just think of those dual processor CPUs that'll be available soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I am looking into building my third PC, 64bit, with SLI MOBO. The chips are too expensive for what I really would like (4000 min)! I am not sure which MOBO I would choose. I think ASUS. It would cost a fortune as I would want to have 2 6800 cards bridged together.
    Maybe next year.

My MOBO is nearly maxxed out. Memory is the only way to go. I am not sure how much of an improvement 3gig of mem would show in my gaming. Building your own is the ONLY way to do it. My brother is a software engineer & is a wealth of information. I have learnt most of it from my friends & learning the hard way.

It has got to a point where I do have to start again, but am reluctant to spend more (I reckon 5000+ dollars so far) It is just ridiculous! Again, it is a good excuse for my parts to be passed down to my other PC! Hence I may get 3gig memory.
    I am not too bothered what bonehead shops want to sell people. As far as I am concerned shops are a complete bunch of amateurs. Ask them how to clock a graphics card, most do not have a clue.

I like lots of power at hand, it makes the whole job go a lot smoother!

Appreciate your input Brobear, it is always welcome.

Kind regards,

Pulsar

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Peterlips, good to see you back, in fine fettle too! Keep up the good work.

Pulsar

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Peterlips, told you you wouldn't get banned!!

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Pulsar
    If gaming is your main concern, the race for improvements in that category is the improvement in the graphics processing. A good card could run about $500 or more. ATI and nVidia are keeping in good competition. Alienware, known for top gaming PCs only puts 1GB of RAM in their $2900 7500 Aurora. They've got it $500 off now, so it's only $2400 for now. For graphics processing it uses a Dual NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3. Take a look at it, it may give you some ideas. http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/desktop_all_gaming.aspx

If gaming is what you want to do, upping the RAM to 3GB isn't going to help as much as investing in the top of the line graphics processor. Your money though if you want to max out your RAM. Get SiSoft Sandra or another utility and do a benchmark test for your system and see how much of an improvement you get with the increased RAM. That will tell you if you invested wisely or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I have a 6800 Gt & the results I have got are pretty good so far. To get better results I really need a 6800 ultra. Not yet though!!!!Brobear, cheers mate, you're a star!

Pulsar

19. brobear

brobear Guest

3Dlabs WildCat Realizm 800 Video Card, 640MB DDR3, 256-bit, Dual DVI/Stereo Glasses Connector Now that is an interesting little card, though a bit pricey at $2000. Just kidding with that one. Check out this site. Makes the gamer dream while rambling through the components. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...alog=48&DEPA=0&Order=priceD&CMP=KNC-0vertur3. You hit on your solution earlier. You're going to have to go to a newer system to really notice any big improvements. I still say to save the money on the expensive RAM for your current system and up to the newer sytem. With ample memory, gaming is all about processing and the speed is in the faster chipsets, CPUs and graphics processors. Don't get me wrong, the newer system needs some good RAM to make things work well. Invest wisely the first time you purchase RAM for it, it saves waste later. Glad I'm not in that speed race. It gets expensive quickly and stays that way.

20. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Hey, Peterlips I live in wyoming so I haven't much room to talk. Glad to see your sence of humor come through. We still have the Fagarri indians that live hear every once in a while they will ambush the pony express. If you are lucky you can see one of them standing on a hill with his hand over his brow blocking the sun from his eyes saying "we're the fagarri? Wer're the fagarri?" Cheers ---zen-->