1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgraded from 128 to 256 RAM and still no way to back up DVD

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Peterlips, Apr 9, 2005.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

wow, the most advanced graphics card i ever bought was a 2nd hand Gefore mx400 or something.. Now i just use onboard video which plays dvds perfectly and i don't play pc games any more so i'm happy. I have however finally gone back to XP and bought a bigger hard drive so my PC can once again hold it's head up in public :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

XP Pro is the most stable I've used , so I'd say 'good choice' Creaky B

And as for having a bigger HDD , we can never have enough spare space eh :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  3. creaky

yup, i've been suffering on 20Gb for far too long.

'we can never have enough spare space' - been telling my boss that for 5yrs, hang on, since the day i started lol. I rejig our SAN (each of its disks are a paltry 73GB) more often than a rejigged thing as we've never got enough blumming space :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Well for instance if you were to use DVD2SVCD (utilising CCE SP as encoder) it'd probably eat up aropund 15Gb ... can leave ppl a little short if they didn't know it was gonna do that in the first place : )

Always better to have too much , than too little (lol)

5. brobear

brobear Guest

I'm thinking of adding more and I have over 300GB of HDD space already. Seems the more you have the more you want to store. Besides DVD2SVCD that supports CCE there is the Rebuilder program that uses it as well. That program also uses Pro Coder which is a real space hog. You can end up using near 20GB during a backup session with that one, or that is what I've heard. The RB/CCE is plenty hungry itself. You have to have space for those big 8GB DVDs and then room for the output and associated folders, about another 7GB or so. That's not counting the temp space used on the HDD while the program is working.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I remember one of my first Hi Tech IBM computers. It had a 40mb HD and that was big at that time. The days of Dosshell and floppies.

Jerry

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mine was a 105meg rodime scsi hd. the control card was about $3-400Can.

8. creaky

I remember my first job where our Production Mainframe system (Tandem Nonstop which some of you US guys might have heard of) filled half the floor i worked on. Better still this system had Winchester (i'm sure they were 128MB or something daft) hard discs that you spun down and changed for another disc (these disk cabs were the size of small washing machines and we had a room of them). Now my main Production system is a wimpy Sun E10K and 8TB of disk - both could fit in a garage!

God i feel old now!
    And i've moved into the 21st century as i've plumped for a 120GB drive at last.. my 20GB needed retiring..

and my case only holds one internal drive. Have put the old faithful 20gigger into one of my slooow usb2 enclosures so it doesn't feel too lonely.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  9. brobear

brobear Guest

Hmmm... Computers taking up the space of an entire building. A terminal in cabinets filling an entire room with tape reels spinning. Techs in lab coats (and the ubiquitous pocket protectors) carrying reels. Did I see a slide rule? What are those? An old Sci Fi flick or reality? Ask a computer guru from the '70s. That was before the advent of PCs and our current super calculators. Me, I'm glad I'm not that old... LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  10. creaky

1975 NonStop I – running on the Guardian Operating System
    1981 NonStop II
    1983 NonStop TXP
    1986 NonStop VLX and CLX
    1989 NonStop Cyclone
    1991 NonStop Cyclone/R and CLXR
    1993 NonStop Himalaya – also known as the S-Series

lmao, have used all except the first one, tho i shouldn't laugh, sat here with tired eyes in front of my 2 screens at 1280x1024 resolution. I miss my green screen monitors :)

11. brobear

brobear Guest

How about the old green screen portables? LOL That meant the table or cabinet with the monitor and equipment had wheels. Actually the monitor and case with the PC and keyboard would latch together, but it would give a strong man a hernia to try to carry the thing around much.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2005