1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading Dell Deminsion xps

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ronmasri, Dec 29, 2004.

1. ronmasri

ronmasri Member

Hey Guys
    I need help....want to upgrade processor P3 on a Dell Deminsion XPS series (t600r)....tried going to dell.com but no help.....can I upgrade this to P4 or may be P3 800Mhz atleast----want to having video games run smoother...now they are choppy....any suggestions will help....thanks....hope I can upgrade and I dont have to buy new computer

2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

If it's a P3 they use a different socket than a P4 and you'd have to replace your motherboard to upgrade to a P4. I'm not sure what the highest P3 is? I think somewhere around 1GHz maybe a bit higher.

I'm also not sure if you'd have to flash your board or what to support that.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

p3 goes to 1.3ghz & p4(basterdized p3) starts at 1.3ghz but is like comparing apples & oranges, not the same

4. ronmasri

ronmasri Member

so hey guys do I have to get a whole new computer here---replace motherboard or what....I can't get p3 800Mghz---I am trying to play a game called NEVERWINTER Nights---my P3 porcessor is slow and makes game choppy and my CPU on task manager is at 100percent....game spec rec P4 but a P3 800mhz works....let me know what ya'll think

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get a new case, motherboard, cpu/heatsink/fan, ram, maybe videocard & gut the dell for rest of parts as dell psu might not work on regular boards & need a p4 type psu anyway

6. ronmasri

ronmasri Member

thanks for the replies...10-4