1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Smartripper and Nero to burn dvd's won't work HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by sib, Jun 3, 2003.

1. sib

sib Member

i've tried using smartripper to rip dvd files and then burn them onto a dvd+rw using nero and it won't work.
    previously i've tried using the demo version of dvdxpress and it worked but it didn't copy the whole disc.
    when i use nero, i get a message stating that there isn't enough memory in the media or the compilation check failed. i thought nero would burn my movie into 2 discs. is this true?

also, is there a way to compress the movie files so that everything can fit into one dvd+rw?
    Please Help!!!
    SIB

2. Kilrain

Kilrain Member

This is my first post and I feel your pain. I am just now getting the hang of this DVD thing. Let me see if I can help and to anyone else out there with more experience, which is pretty much everyone except sib, if I say something stupid, please correct me.

Smartripper is a good tool. It will "rip" all the contents of a DVD into a specified file. Now here is the kicker, in case someone hasn't told you yet, most commercial DVD movies are larger than 4.7 GB, which just happens to be the size of the typical DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW that you are trying to squeeze the movie on to. So, you need a program that will do just that, "squeeze"(compress) the movie.

Now, as you know, everything on a DVD takes up space, the movie, the audio track(s), the menus, the special features, etc. One thing that a lot of folks do is strip all of the extra stuff out, that will save some space. If that doesn't do it, then you will actually have to "shrink"(compress) the movie. Remember, when you compress a movie, you will lose some quality however even on my 47 inch Panasonic HDTV hooked up with component out, they still look pretty good. Anyway, once you get the movie compressed to a size that will fit, then you can burn it.

Now you said you are using Nero and it is saying that there isn't enough memory on the media or the compilation failed, right? What version of Nero are you using? Are you using a version that supports DVD burning or only CD burning?

Anyway, here is how I am currently doing my movies. I use DVDDecrypter(similar to Smartripper, does the same thing and free like Smartripper) to rip the DVD. I then use DVDShrink(free) or DVD2One(not free) to strip out the extra, unneeded content and "shrink"(compress) the movie to a burnable size. I then use Nero(a great program however your version must support DVD burning) to burn the DVD and.............voila, movie.

Now the easy(and very fast I might add) way around all of this is to use DVD X Copy Express from 123 Studios. It is most definitely not free, however I have it, it gives good results and is as easy to use as playing a DVD in a typical DVD player.

There are many other ways to do what I just described and I am sure that you will hear about them here. Check out doom9.org for tutorials and walkthroughs. Good luck and try out that search function for these forums, tons of good info.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2003
  3. sib

sib Member

Kilrain,
    Thanks! Actually I tried ripping with smartripper and compressing with dvdshrink and used the new demo version of nero (with dvd burning capabilities) and it worked great! I encountered 2 problems.
    1. When selecting files to compress on dvdshrink, I could only select .ifo files and if I had more than one per movie I could not. The good thing is that I didn't have more than one file to choose so I lucked out. I was thinking if I ever run into this problem, I'll just make two video-ts files in different folders and compile the data into one video-ts when i get to nero...let's see if that works.
    2. Then other problem I encountered was that I had to physically move the video-ts.ifo, .buf, and .vob files to the new compressed folder for nero to correctly compile and burn the dvd.

But it's not that bad, now I know how to get around it.

Also, I downloaded the demo version of dvdxpress. The only think I don't like is that it doesn't download the menu and chapters. Though going thru smartripper, dvdshrink and nero is a longer process, I find that I can customize my dvd to be the way I want it to be.

Hopefully other newbies will read this and find it helpful!
    You know, searching thru the forum is a good idea but it's crazy with sooooo many files to sort thru.
    Thanks again, that was great help!

SIB:)

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

All you need is

DVD Decrypter
    DVD2One
    Nero

DVD Decrypter > Mode > File > main movie VOB's should be highlighted along w/ the main movie .IFO...select destination and rip/unencrypt

DVD2One (personally think it's better than DVD Shrink but costs £30 or so...worth it I think)
    Select Source (whatever empty folder u put ripped files to)
    Select Destination (empty folder)
    Movie-Only > Choose title set (longest file , eg: 1:48:30) > AC3 6CH / English [or whatever subs u want] / angle 1

Nero (I'm using 5.5.10.20)
    Open wizard > DVD > Compile a new DVD > Other DVD Formats > DVD-Video
    Click on the red VIDEO_TS folder below AUDIO_TS folder...then drag n drop all BUP IFO VOB files from the folder DVD2One set as destination , when prompted (if using a -R/+R) burn 'Without Multi-session'

If burning a movie over 2 hrs I suggest a X1 burn , there is a chance of freezing or pixelation in the final chapter (s) otherwise.

5. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Or you can just use dvd shrink (decrypts and shrinks)and then burn it with nero.

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD SHrink is a lot easier, but the quality isnt quite as good as some of the others