1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD Format Newbie - Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by minky, Jul 27, 2003.

1. minky

minky Member

I have just bought a new DVD player with VCD/SVCD playback compatibility, which on first couple of tryouts, played back VCD's that I had burned in Nero in black and white. I did a little bit of reading through this forum, and came to the conclusion that it was a PAL/NTSC issue (I am in the UK (am I right in thinking PAL/NTSC are just different 'frames per second' formats used in different countries?)). I downloaded a copy of TMPGEnc, and encoded the video file into VCD PAL format, then copied the file onto a (Nero) InCD formatted CDRW. This did not work. I tried again burning the TMPGEnc encoded file onto the CDRW as a VCD in Nero, which has worked (plays, plays back in colour).

Have I gone about this the right way? Sure, I have a functioning VCD now, but that seems a very time consuming method. Is there a way to encode into PAL format in Nero, or am I going to have to encode a file in TMPGEnc and then burn it in Nero afterwards every time? The encoding process in TMPGEnc seems to take almost the full length of the MPEG/AVI time to encode a PAL/VCD file, which seems a little excessive. And why can one not simply chuck the file onto a blank CD as data when it has been encoded as such?

I am new to all this video stuff and am finding it terribly confusing, if anyone can give me a few pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex.

2. minky

minky Member

Oh and another thing: Should I be finalising my CDRW's when I write VCD's? I am still not sure if CDRW's can be reused/rewritten once finalised, I seem to have all sorts of weird things happen with regard to writing additional/erasing information onto CD's/CDRW's. If anyone can provide additional advice (I know this is probably the wrong topic area for this query).

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Yes htye should be finalyzed, and dont use nero as an encoder because it sucks at encoding, stick with the method u have!! You might think it is time consuming but try SVCD! lol!

4. minky

minky Member

Ok, thanks for your reply Dela, shall continue to use TMPGEnc. Am I right in thinking that CD capacity for VCD format is based (like an audio CD) on minutes playing time? I just downloaded an MPEG of 432mb and an AVI of about 100mb, both 45 minutes in playing length, under the assumption that it would be based upon file size. It appears in Nero to suggest not. Is it not possible to get more than about 70 minutes or so onto a CD/VCD?