1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD`s in DVD`s?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by shortfork, Dec 7, 2002.

1. shortfork

shortfork Guest

Hi!
    Can anybody please explain why my stand alone DVD player will not play my burned VCD`s? I can play them on my computor ok, but if I try and play them on the DVD player, it just displays "No valid disc"

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

No Valid disk?? This probably means that the dvd player doesnt support vcd (which a lot of em dont)

3. sdrelick

sdrelick Guest

I had this same problem when creating vcd with an external buslink cd-rw. Could not get the cd to play on my dvd player (which does support vcd,cd-r,cd-rw,mp3). Went to a 2nd computer that had a 4 year old hp 4x internal burner and the created vcd's work fine on the dvd player.
    CompUsa (where I brought the buslink), now sayes new burners have more standards control than the older ones, regards to burn wide or something that affects readability on dvds?
    Is this true? Does this mean I can't expect certain new burners (whatever ones they are) to work with my dvd player?

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

shortfork, try downloading the iso image of a test VCD from www.vcdhelp.com and test your player. Or, you can check the player compatibility list at the same site for your player.

sdrelick, different burners may give slightly different results, but the majority of the cases are probably due to the actual media and the burn speed. I never use crappy media and always burn at 4x.

5. shortfork

shortfork Guest

My DVD player does support VCD, and is also multi-region.I am told that the burned film has to be a .dat file, which I have done several times, but still to no avail!

6. sdrelick

sdrelick Guest

jnihil, I tried your suggestion - brought new media and toned down to 4x on the vcd create and must admit the dvd player started reading the cd's. thanks for your help.

7. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear.