1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Verifying Data" with Nero Burning Rom

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by RCBabcock, Dec 27, 2004.

1. RCBabcock

RCBabcock Member

Does anyone here know just what "Verifying Burned Data" does with Nero Burning Rom? It seems like the obvious would be that it compares the data on the DVD-R to the image on the HD- is that really what it does? And will a positive result mean the disc is truly free of errors? I've never used this feature before just now, and since it takes 2x as long I want to know if it's really worth it or not.

I got a message saying the Verification was successful, but what does that really mean for the quality of my DVD-R?

2. manestle

manestle Member

RCBabcock, You are correct in that when Nero verifies data it just compares the written data to the original source data. It's basically just a comparison. If ya have any Nero questions feel free to ask me. I've been using their software since their beginning in the mid 90's.

3. 6foot7

6foot7 Member

Manestle, I just installed 2 new CYBERHOME BURNERS in my computer. I am using the latest version of NERO. When I try to make a backup of a dvd it locks up at the point where it says "CHECKING DISK". I have tried reinstalling NERO but it still locks up. I also have 2 cd-rw installed in the same computer.
    1GB RAM
    P4 2GHZ PROCESSOR
    NERO worked fine before I installed the 2 dvd burners, they even came with NERO software.

4. manestle

manestle Member

6foot7, That seems like a strange problem. I checked to see if Nero supports Cyberhome Recorder Drives and they do not list support for that brand of drive but you did say in was bundled with your burners so it should certainly be compatible. You have plenty of RAM and a very fast processor so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering if you have any other burning software installed that may be causing a conflict. In fact if you're running Windows XP it has it's own burning software which I highly recommend disabling which you can do by going to Administrative Tools then Services then scroll down till you see IMAPI CD-Burning COM Services. Right click on it and choose Properties then under Startup type choose Disable plus click Stop to stop it from running. If you have any other burning software installed I would highly recommend uninstalling it. If the problem still exsists then at least you ruled out a conflict. Let me know how you make out and if this doesn't help then we'll try something else. Basically this is product of elimination.

5. kchev

kchev Regular member

RCBabcock,
    i would recommend kprobe if you have a liteon dvd burner or cd/dvd speed if you have a compatible burner if you want to really know the quality of your discs
    to me it is a great peace of mind
    the data verification is not hardly as accurate or thorough as these other programs

6. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

manestle, Glad to hear your a Nero expert. I have been having some issues with the program concerning incomplete burns and errors on verifying.

I have Nero v6.3.1.10. I noticed on alot of forums here that in order to achieve top burning speed the drive must be in DMA. So when i set it, i saw that i could finally burn at 4X. I was so excited that it was burning at half the time. But in the very end during the lead out writing, it fails. I tried three times in a row and it always fails at this very spot. i tried backing up another movie and reduced the maximum output file size below 4.35GB to make sure the problem isnt with the outer part of the disk and to my dissapointment it failed again with the same message "failed lead out writing" (or something in that manner). How can i fix that problem?

I have been forced to write at 2X and in that speed i get to finish my burns, but when i verify the disc some fail. When they fail does that mean the whole disc wont fail. I tried watching some of the DVDs i had that failed veifying and i noticed that at some points, the movie would just freeze. i guess thats the spots deemed unaccessible. Anyway i can increase my percentage of successful burns? I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks

7. RCBabcock

RCBabcock Member

Thanks, guys. I basically just wondered if it's worth the time it takes to let Nero verify the info. As for the Liteon drive, I used to have a Liteon, but none of the discs I burned with it would play on the DVD players I have. I think it was just not compatible with the brand of media/DVD decks I own. I switched to a Pioneer A07 and haven't had any problems since.

8. kchev

kchev Regular member

i actually do my burning with an NEC drive
    i use my liteon for ripping and error scanning only

9. RCBabcock

RCBabcock Member

I didn't keep my Liteon once I bought the Pioneer. Does that software work at all with the A07?

10. kchev

kchev Regular member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  11. beerlover

beerlover Member

6foot7,
    Are you sure you set up one drive as a master and one as a slave. Sometimes, its something small and dumb that fouls you up.