1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS Capture

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Pharacyde, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Pharacyde

Pharacyde Member

I built my pop a PC to do convert all the old home movies over to VHS. Here's some of the specs in case that might help.

Mobo: ASUS K8V Deluxe
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2.05 Ghz)
    Memory: 2 X 512-MB Corsair TwinX XMS DDR400/PC3200LL
    HD: Segate 80GB 7200RPM IDE
    Video: ATI AIW 9600xt

We've tried WinDVD, Pinnacle Studio 8, and VirtualDub. WinDVD and Pinnacle seem to capture with better quality, but have sync problems. VirtualDub allows us to sync the clocks, but the quality is worse. We're both n00bs to video editing, and he's really impatient with this... he expects to point, click, and be done.

I've been trying to find something on the settings that we need to use to keep from losing sync or dropping frames, but haven't been able to find much.

I don't really have the time to put into helping him with my class/work schedule... so if you guys could throw us a bone.... I'd appreciate it.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You will get Sync Problems like this when useing Intigrated Sound or a cheapo Sound Card...

Some Programs can Properly Compensate for the Time lag between the Audio and Video clocks....
    For Mpeg2 Capture I suggest useing "Intervideo WinDVR 3.0" it is one of the better quality Mpeg2 capture programs and I have never had any Sync Issues with it"s files....

For AVI Capture Virtual-Dub is OK but it Changes the Framerate to keep sync with the Audio which can make it go back out of Sync after encodeing to Mpeg2 for DVD...
    So I suggest something like Virtual-VCR or another good Capture Program is Built into the MainConcept encoder, and it captures Both AVI and Mpeg pluss it is one of the best standalone Mpeg encoders....
    When Captureing to AVI look for a setting in the Capture software that lets to select the "Master Stream" and set it to "Video" this will make the program resample the audio so it keeps sync with the Video....

Or if you want a program that will Capture to Mpeg2 and author the file to DVD all in the same program then look at something like "Sonic MyDVD 5" as it produces fairly good results....

Cheers

3. stardust

stardust Regular member

There is a virtualdub version called [bold]VirtualdubVCR+SYNC[/bold], which uses a much better method to keep audio and video in sync. Use it with Huffyuv codec for better quality.

4. catdaddio

catdaddio Member

5. sole4ever

sole4ever Member

hi,
    i was reading all this posts about video capturing and i hope you might be able to help me in my dilemma. I bought pinnacle 9 usb moviebox and i haven´t been able to use it. the error message is "cannot create video capture filter". I´m new at this and i don´t really know what it means.
    Anyway, i download mainconcept mpeg encoder thinking that it will help me (wanna replace pinnacle 9) but i don´t know if it does what i need or what software do i need. What i want to do is to capture from my vhs... any ideas?? please help!